1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anti-theft Tips For Motorcyclists
Jul 09, 2007

From a press release issued by Nationwide Insurance:

Columbus, Ohio - It's a motorcycling nightmare. Gearing up for a ride only to find a favorite two-wheel machine has been the target of a resourceful thief. According to the National Insurance Crime Bureau only 25-30 percent of stolen motorcycles are ever recovered, while stolen cars and trucks have a recovery rate of 60-65 percent.

"A record number of motorcyclists are on the road today and many are riding machines with expensive upgrades," says Mitch Roggeman, national sales director for Nationwide Insurance's Property & Casualty Specialty Products. "These riders can thwart theft with a few simple steps and minor expense."

Nationwide, therefore, suggests these five tools for savvy riders looking to protect motorcycles of all shapes and sizes:

. Tracking Technology- Install a tracking system on your motorcycle. If your ride is stolen, the devices use GPS or other locating technology to help police recover your vehicle.

. Disc Brake Locks- These portable, strongly constructed mechanisms lock the wheel of your bike in place, preventing ride and roll away theft. Just don't forget to remove the device before you return to the road.

. Chains- Heavy duty chains are particularly useful if you are riding with a group. A long chain can link the wheels of your bikes together, leaving no individual target.

. Obstacles- Loosen a spark plug cap or shut off the gas so ride away thieves believe they are experiencing mechanical problems. Thieves are more likely to abandon a troublesome machine.

. Location- Park in a well-lit, highly trafficked area. Thieves looking for a quick grab are likely to move on to an easier, less risky target.

·
puk! puk! puk!
288 Posts
i have full replacement insurance (including after market upgrades), steal it if you want. I'll get a new bike.

·
Dragon
92 Posts
Diamond Lil said:
... Chains- Heavy duty chains are particularly useful if you are riding with a group. A long chain can link the wheels of your bikes together, leaving no individual target...
hmmmm, how to get the chain through the solid wheel :stooge:

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Bad Fish said:
hmmmm, how to get the chain through the solid wheel
Silly fish... drill a hole! :)

·
The Heavycycles Guy
6,785 Posts
- Don't fall asleep forgetting that you left your bike parked in the driveway, unlocked :D

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Bad Fish said:
hmmmm, how to get the chain through the solid wheel :stooge:

Does anybody but me still have them? :laugh:

·
Not in EP anymore
1,693 Posts

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Undo a Spark Plug or turn off the Fuel? Jeezus park in a better neighborhood.

·
Youngest VRODDER
265 Posts
Diamond Lil said:
Does anybody but me still have them? :laugh:
:them:

When im parked for anyperiod fo tim outside of driveway i always lock my rakes. Use the chapman lock on the triple trees so they can drive away. I also active the silent alarm and lock the ignition. This i believe will slow them down. I mean they could lift it still and toss it in the van and drive away but when they get home they need to remove the lock on triple trees, change ignition and then remove the silent alarm or replace batter when it dies. Im gonna install LoJack this winter i believe because im moving to vegas and higher crime there. When i go on long rides and there are many bikes i park closer to other bikes because of high volume of people. If i carry a backpack i also lock this pack to the sissy bar or the handle bars. They could steal my stuff out of my bag but its usually a pair of gloves and my rain jacket. Maybe a pair of sunglasses. So they may get away with 50-100 bucks in stuff. Not very worried about it and ill play my odds.

I think the best thing is going to be the 500-600 dollar investment into LoJack. Of course there is not much we can do for easily removable after market parts such as chrome hose cover and fuel cell cover etc. but were still talking 100-150 dollars.

Protect your bike and make it as difficult as possible for them to steal your 12k,18k,25k dollar bikes.

·
What -- Me worry?
471 Posts
My SE2 replaced my last bike which was stolen. It was an '05 Bourget Low Blow Chopper. When I go to my GF's place, I don't park my bikes on the street -- too many "kids" around who would knock over a bike out of envy (at least that's what I've been told). It's not necessarily a bad area, but there are some not too far away. So, whenever I would bring my Bourget over there, I'd trailer it so it had it's own garage. At least I felt more at ease. Anyway, somebody decided one night to cut both locks off the trailer (the round disc shaped Master locks) and liberate my bike. They must have brought their own trailer as they even stole a couple of my tie-downs. This took balls of steel as it was on a major street. They weren't even worried about at least two different people who were jogging at the early morning hour.

I now lock my bikes with disc locks even when in my enclosed trailer.

The good news is that when I bought it new, I got such a smokin' deal that when the insurance paid me, even after low balling me on the appraisal, I ended up with $7,000 more than what I paid for it. So, I paid off a bunch of bills and bought the SE2 outright.

·
Cliff
423 Posts
I have a trained rattle snake in the windshield bag......he can sense if your an ass whipe looking to steal a bike and then the rest is as they say history!

·
06 SE V-Rod
189 Posts
Lojack has a good recovery record. Mine has it.

·
Nucking Futs
1,109 Posts
superchicken said:
i have full replacement insurance (including after market upgrades), steal it if you want. I'll get a new bike.
That's fine & dandy for the first time, but if you have several bikes stolen without taking extra precaution and have the attitude that "insurance covers it", that insurance premium could end up costing you as much as a bike. That is, if you can find anyone to continue providing you with insurance after several thefts.

·
Premium Member
4,958 Posts
The best anti theft deal is a big fat woman with one or two teeth left sittin on your bike while yur in the bar. I have never heard of anyone stealing a bike with LiL LULU sittin on it.

·
Premium Member
2,721 Posts
texrod said:

How I got my CAW and some change.

Cops arrested someone later with a series of keys for HD.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts