Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my bike on the trailer last weekend. I went for a little ride just to get used to trailering and backing up and such. The one thing I noticed is that the trailer makes a lot of noise. Whenever I hit a bump because the hitch fits kind of loose it makes a knocking noise. Anything I could do about this? I'm sure it won't hurt anything but the noise is scary! I was going to perhaps wrap some electrical tape around it before installing the hitch to see if this would help.

·
DeltaSS
173 Posts
Make sure the ball on the bumper is the correct size for your trailer.....

Make sure the ball latch on the trailer is adjusted correctly.....

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ball is a 2" which is correct for the Kendon. How do I adjust the ball latch? I didnt realize there was an adjustment.

·
Non-erator
9,795 Posts
When you say loose... you mean the hitch is loose in the receiver?

There are these anti-tilt locking plates you can buy that go over the hitch (the square post part). at the bottom there are some bolts. You push the plate up against the receiver and tighten the bolts. The hitch no longer has any play left in it.

It came with my dirt bike carrier.

http://www.versahaul.com/antitilt.html

Also... it's a good idea to grease the hitch ball!!!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, this looks like a good idea. That is exactly my problem. It just doesn't fit snug like I think it should so it moves around. I think I may also need a bit more tongue weight as well. My Ball is greased. Thanks for this. I'm going to pick one of these up.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bonketi said:
Take it to the Mens Lounge :)
Funny I know. My wife was happy when I sent her to the auto store for a hitch ball. "Sir, can you tell me where you keep your balls?"....

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
If you have any old bicycle tubes, you can cut a section out and wrap the 2" hitch bar with it (slide it over the end of the bar) before you put it in the receiver. The rubber will dampen the sound considerably.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
VF-Rods HATE trailers. This is your Omen!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Not to sound stupid/simple and all, but do you have anything else on the trailer other then the bike? Be sure you have enough weight on the front of the trailer. If the hitch is bouncing off the ball, along with the adjustment and other suggestions here, be sure you have enough weight forward of the axel.

·
Registered
577 Posts
You might also check the size of the pin that goes thru the drawbar. Some use 1/2 inch and some are 5/8 inch. If you use thesmaller pin where the larger is required, it will rattle.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I suspect its just you being new to trailers. If you check your pins and your hitch clamp and use a safety pin and your chains, I wouldnt worry about clanks and clunks...never pulled a trailer that didnt make noise.

I do agree however that you want to keep more of the weight forward of the pivot point but dont go overboard.

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
I generally have my bike trailer with about 100lbs of tongue weight. This keeps it planted but still fairly neutral.

I should clarify... I do not trailer the vrod... that honor is reserved for the wife's ride.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts