Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
The Massive Pr1ck
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing my tires and am looking for advice on which tires. I am looking for close to OE size and handling is the primary concern.

To the guys with an "R", not lowered, that ARE dragging pegs: What tires are giving the best feel and grip at the limits?

I'm not looking for the best deal, the biggest tire I can fit, or what looks cool. I simply want good traction and feel when my pegs are making sparks. I live in Georgia so wet traction is fairly important too.

Thanks,

·
Registered
271 Posts
I just replaced my original Dunlop tires at 6666 miles with another set of Dunlops 207 rear and 208 front tires. I was happy with the Dunlops that came stock on the bike and never had a episode that would cause me concern. For a sport based tires (Sportmax Qualifiers) they lasted real respectable, heated up quickly and gave good tread wear characteristics till the end where the rear started to wear a flat spot through the middle and the front had a pronounce angular wear pattern on the left of center but no cupping. The front tire now as a replacement is a different tire than what originally came on the bike. I bought my bike new in April 2009 as a hold over 2006 VRSCR.

I have read and asked on here about Dunlops specifically and to me it seems like all the people who have a dislike for Dunlop are on a non "R" model V-rod. To the best of my knowledge the non "R" V-rod that came with dunlops had the elite line of Dunlop tires.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
I have a set of Pirelli Night Dragons that will be going on my R when I get it back (the bike and I are both recuperating from a May accident in which a nice lady in a very large pickup truck turned left into my path). Do a search on "Pirelli" and you'll find a lot of comments regarding this tire. Consensus seems to be that the Metzeler, Avon, and Pirelli all provide more grip than the stock Dunlops, though I'm the first to admit that it's all fairly subjective.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I
I have read and asked on here about Dunlops specifically and to me it seems like all the people who have a dislike for Dunlop are on a non "R" model V-rod. To the best of my knowledge the non "R" V-rod that came with dunlops had the elite line of Dunlop tires.
correct, the Elite come stock on the other Vs and are crap for aggressive riding. I have experience w/Sportmax on other bikes and loved them..

·
Hale=Yes
343 Posts
I like the new Avon's, they stick like glue but they probably will not last as long as my previous Metzler's. I can't speak to the wet traction aspect, because it almost never rains here, so I have vary little rain riding experience, but there sure good on hot pavement. Ed...

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have dragged pegs on my all stock but for Supertrapp Fat Shots "R" on the 3 year old Dunlops when bought new in 09. When i get my home computer back up I will post some pics on the old tires in my gallery.

Been to the North Georgia Mountains with my Buell, love the roads around Suches(sp?)

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've been using Metzler ME880 for many years & on my vrscdx & they hav enhanced the handling on all of my bikes. In addition they last a lot longer than most brands.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have a question regarding the uneven wear on the front tire of my night rod special. It seems that the left side of the tires are wearing more on the left side than the right. I took the bike in to check the alignment. The mechanic is great & very knowledgeable he performed every test you can imagine and found nothing out of tolerance. He even phoned the factory and the only concurred that he performed all of the correct tests.

My question is has anyone else experienced this problem?

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
I do not know how your roads are but here it is normal as most roads are highest in the middle and you drive on the right side

·
Registered
105 Posts
Front tire wearing on left

Thank you for the reply, however I never had this problem on any of the other bikes I've owned. If anyone can, please advise,
Bobby

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
have you checked your "fall away"? When the dealer checks it he is only making sure it is within range, no way of knowing if it was at the end of acceptable range unless he gave you the data.
Bad fork seal? are both of your forks the same height in the tree?
Left brake caliper dragging?

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
I don't have the heart burn with Dunlops that some express. I could bend the peg feelers over nicely on those tires. My only gripe might be their tendency to cup as they age, typical of all Dunlops I have ever used.
I switched to Avons with good results too. I replaced the peg feelers with allen head cap screws and can occasionally buzz the exhaust collector without sliding. I still have a chicken strip on the front tire. That's good enough for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts