Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
I have been reading up on the V-Rod sputtering symptoms and I don't see any of the signs that have been mentioned. Basically my bike feels like it hits a rev limiter or runs out of gas at higher than 4000 RPM. It runs great up to that point. This is what I have done so far...
Installed new plugs - old ones looked to be burning good though
Ran the diagnostic and get "none" in all 3 areas
Checked to see if I am getting the misting action from the fuel flange and don't see anything out of the ordinary that I can tell
Any thoughts?
Maybe it actually runs out of fuel.

If no one has a better idea, I'd look at the air filter first (take it out and test drive it without), then I'd look at the fuel sock and filter inside of the gas tank. With 19,000 miles I wouldn't think that the air filter is clogged, but it's the easiest of the two to check.

While you're in the airbox, make sure that your throttle valves are opening fully.

·
TURBONATOR
1,366 Posts
If you give more details on your setup, tuner/or all stock etc. You will probably get more feedback. More details the better.
Man I type slow on this dam phone...looks like Dr Dave got you looking at some things. Dr might b on to something w/fuel filter. Some one else posted the fuel that came out of filter looked really dirty w/simular miles. Still wouldn't hurt for more details if all of that checks out ok.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe it actually runs out of fuel.

If no one has a better idea, I'd look at the air filter first (take it out and test drive it without), then I'd look at the fuel sock and filter inside of the gas tank. With 19,000 miles I wouldn't think that the air filter is clogged, but it's the easiest of the two to check.

While you're in the airbox, make sure that your throttle valves are opening fully.

·
Registered
223 Posts
If it's an 03 you'll have to check a couple of things like pulling the top of the fuel tank off and checking out the fuel flange (might be cracked-there was a recall for them) also the high pressure fuel line in the tank somtimes springs a leak (it's the clear serrated line). Remove the tank assembly, stick the fuel pickup (the bottom assembly) in a gallon coffee can (cleaned out) with gas hook everything up and fire the bike up if she's leaking it will shoot fuel 10 feet away...if you do a searh you can find the (how to's) on this site...good luck

·
03 A
1,506 Posts
Pinched hose.
Dealer will charge you 1/2 hr to 1 hr labor, Hose is $5 then 2 clamps at 4.95 each.
unless you have the tools you can do it for less than $25

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
If there is no ecm change and you have different exhaust,this could be the problem.
I can' tell good from the pic you have,but those look like Samson pipes,one of the hardest there are to tune the ecm to.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
OK I went out and checked a couple more things.
Fuel pressure - holds steady at 61 PSI even on heavy revs
I looked in the tank again with the bike running and there are bubbles rapidly coming up through the gas - not a mist like I was told to look for but pea sized bubbles steadily coming up. Is this the culprit?
is the tank full?
If so, I'm leaning towards the fuel sock & or fuel flange

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
what did it run like before you needed to replace the battery.? if you are not sure wheter its been tuned for those pipes then you need to find out by takng it to someone who can scan the ecm,or check for a fuel management module.some fuel managers need to be initalised after disconecting the battery.fuel flanges as already covered in this thread are an obvious culprit too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
what did it run like before you needed to replace the battery.? if you are not sure wheter its been tuned for those pipes then you need to find out by takng it to someone who can scan the ecm,or check for a fuel management module.some fuel managers need to be initalised after disconecting the battery.fuel flanges as already covered in this thread are an obvious culprit too.

·
Noel
4,605 Posts
Sorry for the lack of details. ................ From the information that I have gathered I don't think it has a tuner of any sort because I had to install a new battery and from what I see the tuner would have been in there somewhere - Right?
This is hard to tell, if it were tuned with a SERT module & software, the HD Tuning Cartridge, you would not know w/o plugging her into a tuner, this equipment is temporarily attached to reprogram the ECM.

Power Commanders & the like would be Box's permanently attached, what you had expected to find when doing the battery change.

IMHO, you may be experiencing that dead zone that becomes more severe in the 3500 to 4000 RPM range on bikes with specially modded exhausts & improperly tuned ECM Map's, after proper tuning you will still experience a weak spot, just not as severe. :banghead:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts