Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
aka shudude
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Vallejo Harley is closing shop. The doors close for good by the end of march. It really doesn't surprise me, they've been screwing people for years, and the service shop is horrid. I guess they join a growing list of closures.

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
Now dose this "house cleaning" make for a better Dealership network? If the weak and corrupt dealerships die off dose it mean that we are left with a better network or just less deaerships? We may be overloaded in our area, Charlotte had one close but owner died in a motorcycle wreck. I think within a short ride from my house I can get to 4 dearships. Short less than 45 mins and 2 about 20 mins away.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
I'm really hoping they are clearing off the low hanging fruit.

·
Ride safe!
680 Posts
So far the two that have recently closed in the Chicago area were the ones that I heard the most customer service complaints about. In my experience, those were the dealers that treated me poorly while I was looking for a bike so I bought elsewhere. I figured if they treated you like crap before they got your money, it wouldn't get better...............seems like the right ones are getting dumped to me.

Just maybe the MoCo does know whats going on?

·
aka shudude
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm really hoping they are clearing off the low hanging fruit.
I hope so as well. Vallejo just plain sucked, bad service, terrible attitude (especially if you own a Vrod).

·
Flat Broke
282 Posts
Faultline in Fremont closed as well. They apparently merged with Oakland HD.

·
Registered USDA
4,229 Posts
If the Harley dealers make their real $ off of service instead of bike mark up then its no wonder the ones dropping are going 1st.

·
Registered USDA
4,229 Posts

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
Seems the saem happened with car dealeships. Quite a few closed or changed brands. THe Saturn dealer is now under a new brand and they are selling saturn parts below cost on anything in stock. I think Saab moved in.

The HD low hanging fruit I agree needed to be removed. I have stopped in many HD stores, some are all over you till you say you just want to buy Lux a new t shirt. I have been to a couple of places and down right told the salesperson I am not buying but do ned to figure out size and style. Tilley's both of them have spent more than enough time with me windowshopping for a coat. One dealer in NJ told me I could try on one coat but he aint payin his floor girls to hang out and restock tried on jackets. I guess he flet that 3 girls walking around was worth more money.

·
Peaked At Birth
5,198 Posts
I hope so as well. Vallejo just plain sucked, bad service, terrible attitude (especially if you own a Vrod).
I couldn't agree more. Their service dept was the biggest joke since Abbott & Costello.

·
aka shudude
3,174 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ladi, Vallejo hasn't stocked Vrod parts in over 3 years. Like I said, they were "old school" only and service dept. hated the Vrod.

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
Sorry folks, dealers going under will just mean the same ilk will buy the dealership... Ever looked at the application for an HD dealership? You have to have $2 million in assets to even be considered for a dealership... What that means is, the only ones who can afford to buy a dealership are car dealers or similar... None of them ride, none of them care about the motorcycle, all only care about how much money they can get out of you for their 60% or more markup prices on the parts and accessories and the average $3k profit they get for each motorcycle they sell...

The local dealer here where I'm at had three dealerships, one here in the Tri-Cities, one in Spokane and one in Clarkston... All three went down August of 09 due to his fraud and greed... The new owner just reopened the local dealership November 1st... Nothing different other than the name of the dealership... Still the same overpriced motorcycles and no dealing, under paid employee's and wrenches that have no business turning a wrench on a lawnmower let alone a motorcycle...

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
Actually, as we lose the old timers it gives Harley more control . There are many "grandfathered" dealerships that have not and do not have to conform to such policy as "no other brands" on the floor, or having to be "visible from a freeway" , quota's, amongst other restrictions. As the old timers fall, more dealerships become corporate. I don't know if that's good or bad but the MoCo will have more control of who's left and who's to come.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts

·
03 A
1,506 Posts
Ladi, Vallejo hasn't stocked Vrod parts in over 3 years. Like I said, they were "old school" only and service dept. hated the Vrod.

I see. thanks Shoe.
I got curious on their ad saying 50% off obsolete parts.. not sure if my 03 is considered obsolete ha ha..

·
LIFETIME MEMBER
1,373 Posts
Actually, as we lose the old timers it gives Harley more control . There are many "grandfathered" dealerships that have not and do not have to conform to such policy as "no other brands" on the floor, or having to be "visible from a freeway" , quota's, amongst other restrictions. As the old timers fall, more dealerships become corporate. I don't know if that's good or bad but the MoCo will have more control of who's left and who's to come.
I don't think it will change mainly because of the amount of money a person needs to become a dealer... In my area an old school dealer who ran it from 1940 to 1983 and retired... The a-hole who bought his dealership in 1984 paid $160k for his dealership... In 1998 when he sold it to the next a-hole, he sold it for $2.6 million... That a-hole lost his dealerships (three of them) due to fraud and gambling debts... I don't know what the current a-hole paid for it but I know it had to be at least $2 million...

The MOCO forced out the lil mom and pop franchises that were run by bikers that loved the motorcycle and the lifestyle and opened up the flood gates to millionaires that care less about the motorcycle or the people that ride them... They are only interested in the money...

Just my opinion but one thing is for sure, HD dealers that were around when I started riding are long gone and what's left is arrogant millionaires that buy up multiple dealerships and monopolize entire regions instead of the old days when you could only own one dealership and you had a protected area of 65 miles in radius... Most of the dealerships back then weren't much bigger then my shop is today...

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
I don't think it will change mainly because of the amount of money a person needs to become a dealer... In my area an old school dealer who ran it from 1940 to 1983 and retired... The a-hole who bought his dealership in 1984 paid $160k for his dealership... In 1998 when he sold it to the next a-hole, he sold it for $2.6 million... That a-hole lost his dealerships (three of them) due to fraud and gambling debts... I don't know what the current a-hole paid for it but I know it had to be at least $2 million...

The MOCO forced out the lil mom and pop franchises that were run by bikers that loved the motorcycle and the lifestyle and opened up the flood gates to millionaires that care less about the motorcycle or the people that ride them... They are only interested in the money...

Just my opinion but one thing is for sure, HD dealers that were around when I started riding are long gone and what's left is arrogant millionaires that buy up multiple dealerships and monopolize entire regions instead of the old days when you could only own one dealership and you had a protected area of 65 miles in radius... Most of the dealerships back then weren't much bigger then my shop is today...
Eh, not so true. Barger Harley Davidson in Canoga Park has been around since the 1970's and isn't a big box store. It's a couple of miles from the nearest freeway and isn't even at a major intersection. Still in the original location, they expanded gradually into some adjacent stores they also owned next door in a little strip mall. They do well by keeping their overhead very low, they could run the whole business with only five employees if necessary, they own their property and have an excellent service department. Somewhere under there is an old service station. There used to be a showroom and behind it a gas station building where the service department was located. The current building kind of grew around all of that.
It does bother me when I see one of the owners trying to figure out how to place display racks for new products that HD expects their dealers to use. Here they have nice product display racks and shelving that is good looking and perfectly serviceable, an motorcycle market that is weak and yet Harley is telling dealers to buy and use new displays when the existing displays are fine, or remodel to accommodate some new image program. To me, this is the sort of thing dealers should not have to spend their meager cash flow on. It's wasteful in a time when dealers do not have cash to spare for frivilous things. Some dealers I imagine are driven over the edge by such nonsense.
You own your business, but seemingly you don't. Gas station owners get boned this way all the time. When you see new pumps and signage at a gas station, ask who has to pay for that. It isn't the oil company.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts