Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, title says most of it.
Im 45, recently divorced and, that freed me up to buy my first motorcycle. Call me stupid but, I got an 06 VRSCD, 5149 miles.
l ways wanted a Harley and fell in love when the V-Rod came out....and the Night Train has ALWAYS been my favorite....got THEE bike of my dreams.

Problem......Im a motorcycle virgin...never riden before!!!! Hell of a lot of bike to start on!!!!
Got the bike Sept. 24, went through a two day riders safety course 25/26 and got my permit on the 27th. Went out yesterday with my brother in law, an experienced rider, for my maiden ride.
BOY DID I GET MY CHERRY POPPED!!!!!!
About 2 hours into it, I failed to negociate an S curve and went down. After about 30 minutes of clearing my head, I got back on and road the 5 miles home. Screwed up my air cleaner cover, left front turn signal and scarred the clutch resivior and lever....

Oh yeah.... bruised my right knee, elbow, sprained my ankle and have a very sore shoulder. Of course, I was MOST worried about the bike.
Always heard there are two kinds of riders...
Those who have gone down AND, those who will go down.
Hope the hell I've got that out of the way....LMAO!!!!!!

Now I need to find parts and info to make her right again.

Thanks, for having me!!!
Terry

·
Registered
133 Posts
When I got mine, I hadn't ridden in years. I spent a lot of time on my own riding the local streets and a huge parking lot. Problem is with riding with an experienced rider too many times they go into something and honestly believe they are going slow enough for you to follow example. Sometimes yes and sometimes no. The no is really rough. Keep riding and take it easy for awhile. Find some light traffic roads and go out by yourself a few times. As far as parts man did you come to the right place. Classifieds are full.

·
REVOLUTION !!!
21,318 Posts
Welcome to 1130cc.com - glad to hear you are not badly injured.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the support and words of wisdom.
I know she is a hell of a bike. A couple of times I had open long staights I hit the throttle and felt like I was going off the back.....kinda scary!!
A lot of power for a beginner but, I've got a lot of respect for that power. I LOVE THE BIKE.

Love the feeling of the wind and cruising though. I'm hooked!!!!!

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
:vrodforu:
when I got the V, it had been quite some years since my last bike and I was fresh off of surgery. Other than riding it the 60 miles home from the dealer, I kept it off the highways and stuck to local back roads instead. Empty parking lots are your friend as is the MSF rider's classes. Be safe, be smart, and gear up.
On a side note, anytime I ride with a newer rider, I ALWAYS have them lead the way so they can set the pace, and I lay back between 30 to 50 yards so I don't "push" them

·
Registered
306 Posts
Welcome to the forum & congrats on the new Bike. Have fun here,Ride safe,
Always Ride like everyone is trying to KILL you. Why? because they are...

·
Justpassinthru
8,976 Posts
Welcome Terry ! Take it slow and easy and relax and get to know the bike and have many more miles to enjoy. Sorry to hear about the fall. Take care and glad you are okay !

·
Registered
731 Posts
Welcome to the forum first off. While I think it is great that you like the V-Rod well enough to purchase one, it is not a beginners bike. Enjoy the ride and take care. Wear you gear, drive defensively and watch out for the other guy. Keep an eye in your rear view mirror when at stop signs. Lots of people nowadays texting/talking on the phone and I have known too many people on bikes who have been rear ended at stop lights/signs. Always leave yourself a way to escape in the event someone does come up on you too fast. And never go into neutral at a stop, be ready to go in the event of emergency.

Phatass

·
09 vrscf
203 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Watch out for hospital curve... The road is pretty uneven there on I-65 South. Not to mention the idiots that dont know how to stay in their own lane. I take it everytime I ride to work. We'll be safe man you'll have her up and running again in no time...Thanks Mike

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome to the forum.

Watch out for hospital curve... The road is pretty uneven there on I-65 South. Not to mention the idiots that dont know how to stay in their own lane. I take it everytime I ride to work. We'll be safe man you'll have her up and running again in no time...Thanks Mike
I'm not ready for interstates yet but, thanks for the heads up.
Where are you located in LaGrange? I have a brother out off of 42 on West 524.

·
09 vrscf
203 Posts
I am located down New Moody Lane (the road that runs in front of Walmart) past the water treatment plant across from the day care center in Meadowbrook Estates subdivision. Only about a mile and half from the highway. I took the rider safety course this past spring also for an insurance deduction and wifes peace of mind lol. Been riding motorcycles since I was a kid so I just wanted the deduction. Plus I had not owned a street bike for about 15 years 93' when I was in the military. All I am gonna say is ride at your own pace and drive defensively and you will be just fine.
Assume everyone does not see you and you will be just fine...Thanks and be safe, Mike

·
Registered
41 Posts
it's great to see another vrod rider on here in louisville. I went down my first day out too. No injuries though... Except for the exhaust. Glad your ok. Well hook up and go ridin sometime.

·
Premium Member
10,800 Posts
Welcome, and get well soon. Nice ride. You will love it! Joe

1 - 15 of 15 Posts