Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, wanted to contribute my two cents... I love reading these before I buy, therefore want to contribute for other future buyers!

Background

This is the second motorcycle of my life. The first was a 2008 Honda Shadow Spirit -- a no frills 745cc carb'd Honda-Twin for those who don't know. It was a great first bike for me, but after two years, was ready for something bigger. Did a bunch of research, saw the V-Rod and instantly fell for it. Visited local dealerships, lurked on this forum (posts similar to this one,) and am now the proud owner of a new 2010 V-Rod Muscle, Red Hot Sunglo. I rode it home today (was waiting on accessories to be installed.) Initially, I opted for highway bars, backrest, removeable shield, and chrome upper/lower belt guards. Unfortunately the backrest and shield are on backorder until late August, but not that big of a deal for me, definitely not going to wait until then to ride it!

As far as the Shadow... great bike. Loved it. Never had a problem. It was just... boring. It didn't ride two up very well (I'm a bigger guy, 6'2", 230...).. it had some problems running at highway speed comfortably, I found myself constantly kicking my left foot up looking for another gear that just wasn't there. It was a workhorse, it did what it was supposed to do, did it well, but I always found myself wanting more. It's gone (sold on CL, same day!!) but never forgotten, as my first official motorcycle.

Dealership experience

Did my research here too... I've got three dealerships within 30 miles, one five miles away. I opted for one about 30 miles away; it came highly recommended, and the closer one; lets just say-- not so much. My dealership experience was nothing short of phenomenal. Got the price I wanted, at 1% interest (the only reason I even considered a new purchase right now, otherwise would have waited a year or so and paid cash!), and the people I've worked with so far have all been very friendly and accomodating. If you're ever in Indianola, Iowa, stop by Route 65 Harley Shop and experience it for yourself. Great group of people!

The Bike

I was initially a bit nervous. The idea of going from my little Shadow up to what seemed like a monster of a bike was giving me the shakes. First impressions, this thing is huge. Wide. Long. Heavy. Having only ever ridden my Shadow and the little 250 MSF bikes a few years back, I was a bit intimidated and was questioning my ability to even maneuver this thing out of the parking lot without atleast a minor embarassing disaster of some sort.

50 Miles later... and "first impressions" ... keeping "new toy" bias in mind...

This seemingly huge beast is easier to ride than the Shadow. So much smoother... so much more throttle response and sensitivity, it just behaves so differently and feels so well tuned in comparison. It feels lower than the Shadow, I've got a lot more seating surface, and it feels more stable. Low-speed cornering was different, but not tricky. Not sure exactly how to describe it ... it does take a bit more effort, but wasn't difficult at all. I haven't tried any tight U-turns yet, but am certainly not afraid to try after quickly gaining quite a bit of confidence in the handful of tight under-15mph turns I've performed in the first 50 miles. More on that as the experience arrives!

Power. Amazing. Keeping in mind I'm coming from a 40ish h.p. bike. Many have written about this "grin" they get, I never understood, really.. it's just throttle/going faster, big friggin' deal, so I thought. I understand now. Perfectly. Not much more to say about it. :)

Gripes/Cons

I haven't really figured out a comfortable place to rest my feet. The pegs on this bike are smaller than the pegs on the Shadow, and I found myself trying to keep them away from the ever-so-close pipes in order to avoid boot-melt-gunk and jean-fire/leg-hair singe. I'm thinking some sort of small floorboards may be in order. We'll see.

---

So far so good. I love it. I can't wait to ride it again. Unfortunately, the weather isn't looking so hot the next couple of days and I'll be out of town all next week... I'm keeping my fingers crossed, and hoping that I can get atleast another 50-60 miles in before I head out on Friday for a week...

Best regards and happy riding,

Nick/WickedPorter

·
Registered
361 Posts
Welcome!!!!

·
day dreaming...
1,795 Posts
don't you know that you have to post your bike pics with naked ladies on top of it?

just kidding buddy! :D Good write up, and welcome!

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
Welcome!

·
Registered
569 Posts
welcome

Hi all, wanted to contribute my two cents... I love reading these before I buy, therefore want to contribute for other future buyers!

Background

This is the second motorcycle of my life. The first was a 2008 Honda Shadow Spirit -- a no frills 745cc carb'd Honda-Twin for those who don't know. It was a great first bike for me, but after two years, was ready for something bigger. Did a bunch of research, saw the V-Rod and instantly fell for it. Visited local dealerships, lurked on this forum (posts similar to this one,) and am now the proud owner of a new 2010 V-Rod Muscle, Red Hot Sunglo. I rode it home today (was waiting on accessories to be installed.) Initially, I opted for highway bars, backrest, removeable shield, and chrome upper/lower belt guards. Unfortunately the backrest and shield are on backorder until late August, but not that big of a deal for me, definitely not going to wait until then to ride it!

As far as the Shadow... great bike. Loved it. Never had a problem. It was just... boring. It didn't ride two up very well (I'm a bigger guy, 6'2", 230...).. it had some problems running at highway speed comfortably, I found myself constantly kicking my left foot up looking for another gear that just wasn't there. It was a workhorse, it did what it was supposed to do, did it well, but I always found myself wanting more. It's gone (sold on CL, same day!!) but never forgotten, as my first official motorcycle.

Dealership experience

Did my research here too... I've got three dealerships within 30 miles, one five miles away. I opted for one about 30 miles away; it came highly recommended, and the closer one; lets just say-- not so much. My dealership experience was nothing short of phenomenal. Got the price I wanted, at 1% interest (the only reason I even considered a new purchase right now, otherwise would have waited a year or so and paid cash!), and the people I've worked with so far have all been very friendly and accomodating. If you're ever in Indianola, Iowa, stop by Route 65 Harley Shop and experience it for yourself. Great group of people!

The Bike

I was initially a bit nervous. The idea of going from my little Shadow up to what seemed like a monster of a bike was giving me the shakes. First impressions, this thing is huge. Wide. Long. Heavy. Having only ever ridden my Shadow and the little 250 MSF bikes a few years back, I was a bit intimidated and was questioning my ability to even maneuver this thing out of the parking lot without atleast a minor embarassing disaster of some sort.

50 Miles later... and "first impressions" ... keeping "new toy" bias in mind...

This seemingly huge beast is easier to ride than the Shadow. So much smoother... so much more throttle response and sensitivity, it just behaves so differently and feels so well tuned in comparison. It feels lower than the Shadow, I've got a lot more seating surface, and it feels more stable. Low-speed cornering was different, but not tricky. Not sure exactly how to describe it ... it does take a bit more effort, but wasn't difficult at all. I haven't tried any tight U-turns yet, but am certainly not afraid to try after quickly gaining quite a bit of confidence in the handful of tight under-15mph turns I've performed in the first 50 miles. More on that as the experience arrives!

Power. Amazing. Keeping in mind I'm coming from a 40ish h.p. bike. Many have written about this "grin" they get, I never understood, really.. it's just throttle/going faster, big friggin' deal, so I thought. I understand now. Perfectly. Not much more to say about it. :)

Gripes/Cons

I haven't really figured out a comfortable place to rest my feet. The pegs on this bike are smaller than the pegs on the Shadow, and I found myself trying to keep them away from the ever-so-close pipes in order to avoid boot-melt-gunk and jean-fire/leg-hair singe. I'm thinking some sort of small floorboards may be in order. We'll see.

---

So far so good. I love it. I can't wait to ride it again. Unfortunately, the weather isn't looking so hot the next couple of days and I'll be out of town all next week... I'm keeping my fingers crossed, and hoping that I can get atleast another 50-60 miles in before I head out on Friday for a week...

Best regards and happy riding,

Nick/WickedPorter
Welcome nice post regarding your experiences. You can get shiney chrome and wider foot pegs. Don't want to burst your bubble but there is no such thing as floorboards for the muscle, at least none that you can purchase.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
One of the better written things I've read here. I'm glad I'm not the only one who says the V-Rod is one of the easiest bikes in the world to ride. Maybe not a great "starter' because parts are expensive if you drop it, but certainly nothing hard about piloting a V. (except at 0.2 mph if you jab the front brakes too hard)

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had same complaint regarding small footpegs. I got kuryakin switchblade pegs with a retractable heel rest and comfort was greatly improved.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Don't know your inseam but at 6'2" you may want to either swap the front peg extensions side to side and move the pegs forward 3" or get standard peg extensions and move them forward 1.5". The Muscle comes stock with 1.5" reduced reach peg extensions for some reason.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Thanks for the post.

Just an FYI, I'm 6'2, 230 and felt the same about the pegs but got use to them. Then ordered a set from Avon, I now feel like I have plenty of space for my foot. Consider a look at them. I also wanted a surface that would continue to grip my boot. Installed them last week and extreamly happy! I will post a pic.

Enjoy the bike.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Welcome

I love this bike. I also ride a sportbike , but find myself spending most of my riding time on the "F." I love how smooth and stabile it is. The acceleration is so much fun. It might not be faster then my sportbike, but it pulls so hard from the start that I feel faster. I loved it from the test ride and love it more every time I ride.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Hi guys,

Thanks for all the footpeg suggestions...

I am liking the idea of these Kuryakyn pegs I found here: http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/go/Home.ProductDetail/catID/10/scID/14/IMID/543 . Does anyone have these or know if they'll work on the Muscle? Dochollis: is this what you're using?

Thanks,
Nick
You can try contacting kuryakyn but I'm pretty sure they won't work. You should start with the HD catalog there you will begin to realize that the one thing we as muscle owners lack is after market products. Were not even compatible with most of the V Rod stuff. Footpegs is one area where we have a little more in regards to choice and maybe those can be fabricated to work but I would definitely contact the company and ask them.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Congratulations on your new bike.
Best of luck.

·
Registered
43 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140090&highlight=forward+controls+keith

I have the swingwing pegs, they are nice and give you alot more room, but you lose alot of room on your turns. The heels on both my boots are just about gone and the edge of the pegs are scraped to hell. They even scrape on off ramps going 45-60mph. It scares you at first but you get comfortable after awhile with the pegs being pushed up by the pavement about two inches sometimes. There is a member selling three inch extensions that I left a thread on top for you, they look nice, and it is impossible to find the Arlen Ness 3" extended controls, so as of right now, these are the only option, I think, for 3", V-Mod.com has a 2" extension but I don't know if it will work for the F.

Good Luck,
AlphaM1

·
Methosan
156 Posts
http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140090&highlight=forward+controls+keith

I have the swingwing pegs, they are nice and give you alot more room, but you lose alot of room on your turns. The heels on both my boots are just about gone and the edge of the pegs are scraped to hell. They even scrape on off ramps going 45-60mph. It scares you at first but you get comfortable after awhile with the pegs being pushed up by the pavement about two inches sometimes. There is a member selling three inch extensions that I left a thread on top for you, they look nice, and it is impossible to find the Arlen Ness 3" extended controls, so as of right now, these are the only option, I think, for 3", V-Mod.com has a 2" extension but I don't know if it will work for the F.

Good Luck,
AlphaM1
I just returned the V-Mod extension - did not work out. Initially the kit came with a shift rod extension that was straight, and the rod ended up riding the exhaust pipe which doesn't exist on the other Vrods on the left side. After 2 months of waiting and getting the credit card company to charge-back the purchase amount for a refund I received a powder coated curved shift rod extension. The paint on the piece rubbed right off with my fingers but it did bolt up. However, because of the curve on the extension, when downshifting, it would cause the shift rod to bend (deflect) and there was no firm feeling going down. I ended up packing the pieces back up and shipping them back to Vmod as after a telephone conversation with Rick he agreed to take them back (as the charge back had already gone through at that point, too).

I've ended up flipping the reduced pegs around for an extra 3" of reach but lost 2" of ground clearance and do rub my heel on the ground. Haven't hit the pegs themselves on the ground; only my heels. I'm 6'-3".

1 - 19 of 19 Posts