Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I was just informed by my local friendly police that my tail light is not working. I was taking my bike for a 2nd spin testing the exhaust and the T-Max.

The only mods I did was change entire exhaust, and load new map into the T-Max.

Could a bulb be burned out after 1 year use and 17,000 km?

I'm trying to think of where I could of gotten a cable loose while installing the exhaust. Anyone know where the tail light cable runs?

I either got something lose or the T-Max is the culprit?

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
did you unplug the rear brake switch when you did the exhaust?
I didn't, but maybe something came lose when I was installing it by accident. Where is that cable/switch located lux?

·
Sleep is over-rated
2,423 Posts
it should be located below the clutch cover towards the rear of the bike. it should have 2 wires going to it and brake lines going in and out of the switch itself

·
MOVE !!!!!!!!
232 Posts
:them:

No lights on at all!!! yeah check the fuse and the bulb. If it is the bulb try the sylvania ones number 1157 or GE 198. LOL I just had a similar problem with my taillight but it ended up being a broken front brake switch ( Well I'm still waiting for it to arrive so i can install it and hope thats it =\ ) But my running light is working just no brake light....Which leads me to believe its not a brake switch or you would have your running lights. Since you dont have either may not be the brake switch well I hope its the fuse any ways way easier to install lol. I'm dreading installing my front switch.

Oh and my first bulb blew at 5k miles 2nd one at 15k so you just never know. I just put in the sylvania ones so I'll see how long these will last. The last bulb I took off had china written all over it. :banghead: Goodbye America Heeelllooo China. Oh excuse me I mean "Ni how ma". Hello in chinese :D forgot what dialect.

well Good luck.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
^ Well my front light works and my turn signals work, both rear and front. I will try the bulb tomorrow and hopefully it's that...

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anyone have a good strategy on how to remove the tail light? I've been inserting a screwdriver into the hole where the license plate is and fumbling around, looking for the clip, to no avail.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Anyone have a good strategy on how to remove the tail light? I've been inserting a screwdriver into the hole where the license plate is and fumbling around, looking for the clip, to no avail.
Takes a little patience. Keep feeling for the tab that will release the light as you push with the flat head screwdriver. At the same time pull up and forward on the light assembly. Like I said, keep trying and patience.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^ I finally got it after like 30 minutes of tinkering.

When it popped out, like 3 pieces flew out lol. I was like "OH F&^@!" but suprisingly nothing broke.

It ended up being a burned out tail light bulb. What a queer coincidence though with that happening the moment I change exhausts...

Thx for the help guys, appriciate it.

·
MOVE !!!!!!!!
232 Posts
Yay!!!!

Sweet glad to hear. And yeah that tab is a bitch. The dealer told me its a good thing my bulb burnt out when I had my rear tire replaced. Because I have to go under the fender to get to it. Then I read the book when I got home and was like WTF!!! Never will i go there. Its a pain but not like taking the tire off to get at it which is what he made it out to be.

Now ride the crap out the bike and wake people up :D

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
Takes a little patience. Keep feeling for the tab that will release the light as you push with the flat head screwdriver. At the same time pull up and forward on the light assembly. Like I said, keep trying and patience.
Do not pull on the lense assembly unless you want to find just the lense in your hand. Feel around for the clip, it's about 3/4 inches wide right at the base (back) of the light. When you know you are on it with the screwdriver, give it a steady push and the light assembly should lift off the fender, back end first.

OK, I'm late. Glad you got it done.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Haha yea guys. I got it done but I think it was a fluke. I spent 30 minutes in the swealtering humid heat, bent over like a pig sweating :p

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
The first time removing that sucker is always the worst. Next time it will be a piece of cake.

Fix one thing and something else breaks at the same time. Always happens. Never ending process. Fix it and break it. Fix it and break it. Fix it and break it. Fix it and break it. Fix it and break it. Fix it and break it. Fix it and break it. Fix it and break it. Fix it and break it. Fix it and break it.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
you should of watched the video!!!!

click on link in Sig.

Sorry it is late.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts