Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Avenger Hawk
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been reading for awhile, and this is an awesome site. The strength lies in the diversity of the ideas, easy riding to crazy fast. So far, I’ve just been a sponge, absorbing information from all of you. You’ve saved me a lot of time and money. I’d like to contribute back in any way I can.

The lessons I’ve learned on this site have helped keep me busy during these cold winter months in Kansas. I’m about 25 miles away from Topeka and 56.3 miles away from the V-Rod plant. I’m the only V-RODer in a HOG Chapter of about 300 riders and they’ve totally accepted me. What a great group of people.

This summer I’ll be moving with my family to Western Germany, home of the Audubon and fat tire kits.

Does any know if I’ll have to make changes to a V-ROD made for the US before I can license it in Europe?

That’s enough about me, now how about my ride (’03, solid anodized, gold key):
MODs complete:
SE slip on exhaust
SE air filter
HD stage 1 download
air intake modification similar to post by “Ketsugo”; thanks for the picture
Sundowner seat then back to stock seat
SE slip on exhaust back then to v-mod stock, thanks for the reference & glad I read the how to
Additional chrome here and there

MODs in progress:
Rizoma rear turn signal brackets (undecided about actual turn signals); thanks for the instructions

Near future MODs
Decide on rear tire: 200/10, 240/50, or 280 (need to see what they look like and how they handle)
Move license plate to left side
Once you move the license plate, you’ve got to lower it (any comments on the air shocks by breathless performance?)
Instead of lowering, I’d prefer to find a rear fender that comes down further on the sides and back end.

Then it will be time to move to the front, and the list never seams to end

Question for other military: did you permanently attach that wonderful DOD vehicle sticker? If yes, where? I’ve yet to take it onto an installation.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Welcome dereck, not sure about the changes for Europe we currently have a couple of military people in Germany that might be able to better answer that question. Seems like the lights and the auto alarm and plate size are the three big changes for the euro market.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
:welcome:

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Derek,

Welcome to the best darn V-Rod Forum on the planet!

I'm pretty sure that you won't have to make any changes to the bike to register it in Germany. I don't think the German model has a catalyst and that would be the only major change. I've heard through some friends who were ex-pats with my company that you can usually get a one time exemption for most vehicles. (except in France where they used to make you put in those stupid yellow headlights ;))

Of course like Max said, we have quite a few military members as well as a few German members that I'm sure could get you your answers.

·
Biker Pilot
1,104 Posts
If you are military, you shouldn't have to make any modifications, although they may require an emissions check (I can't remember if they check motorcycles). As for the military sticker, there area a couple options. I have seen a plate made that attaches to the left fork. My idea is to put a hinge-like plate under the triple tree that has velcro to hold it up out of view when I'm not riding onto the base. (So far, no one has asked to see my sticker yet at my current base, so I am holding out.)

·
If You Ain't Cav...
2,069 Posts
Best sticker idea I've seen is to cut a piece of plexi or tin the size of the sticker, then get some adhesive magnetic strips and slap on the sticker on the fork/tree before riding through the gate, then remove once on Post. Pretty slick idea, I thought!

Mike

"If you ain't Cav..."

·
Avenger Hawk
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Mike. Excellent idea. I've seen it work before on bumper parking passes, that will do the trick if I'm required apply it.

·
Have Gun Will Travel
1,008 Posts
Here at Fort Bragg, they will give you a hard time (only when you are running late) getting on to post with the sticker attached to a plate. I went the old fashioned way and stuck it on my fork slider. I was opposed to doing it, but after thinking about it, I am proud to put the sticker on there.

Airborne

·
If You Ain't Cav...
2,069 Posts
Larry,
Believe me, I know what you mean! I proudly sport my NTC DOD sticker on my Tahoe, and refuse to change it out... But the V-Rod is "special." I wouldnt tatoo my wife, but my girlfriend would be inked!

Mike

·
Have Gun Will Travel
1,008 Posts
Mike

Great analogy. I like the way you think.

I also find the bike special. The family and I will be PCSing to Spain this summer for a job in NATO. We can only take one POV. The v-rod will be it. The suburban stays in the States and the 1973 Land Rover will have to be sold.

Gotta have priorities.

·
If You Ain't Cav...
2,069 Posts
If you arn't over you weight, the M/C can be shipped as part of your HHG shipment, (I thought?) No worries though... Spain on a V-Rod... sounds nice. There are some pretty trick bikes in Europe... watch that you don't go broke adding those euro components! Keep your feet and knees together!

Mike

·
Avenger Hawk
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
larry273,
VRODScout is correct. The motorcycle is a recreational item and can be shipped in HHG. Doesn't count against your 1 POV limit. When you have your transportation briefing let them know, because the shipping company will need to bring a motorcycle crate. Take

·
If You Ain't Cav...
2,069 Posts
Dereck,
ADA? Due to the Avenger Hawk comment I am just wondering.... Ft Riley? Great Cavalry Museum there! I'm heading to Leavenworth this summer (Just the short tour! not the big-rock-to-little-rocks tour!) for CGSC. Saw where you’re moving soon as well. Best of luck, brother.

Mike

·
Avenger Hawk
635 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Mike,
I'm in the MSC.

Although you are right, the "Avenger" part comes from the reference to the ADA equipment. I picked that nickname up during a paint ball contest.

I'm still on active duty, but I'm just getting finished with a graduate program at the University of Kansas, "Hawk" comes from Jayhawks. All the branches have their own name for it, but it's were they let go to the university of your choise for 2 years to get a graduate degree and in return they own you for a few more years.

Enjoy Ft. Leavenworth and CGSC. From what I understand you'll have your fair share of free time. I'll tell you it's really cold right now. When it warms up there are a lot of good "country roads" to travel. The back road between Lawrence and Leavenworth is the best around. You'll have to make a trip over to the V-Rod plant. Bikers for Babes is the big ride of the year, Septemberish. We meet inside Kansas Speed way, last year there were over 5000 riders.

Good luck man.
dereck

1 - 19 of 19 Posts