Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Jeff
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys/gals,

I spent the better part of my day yesterday doing research on here, getting everything together and then getting it done. I used the Killerglass pyrex coolant hose install thread and it helped, but the pic links were down. It also was a pretty old thread and didn't address my issue which was the existing factory mounted Gates shrink tube clamp at the top of the coolant hose. So I did some more digging and I also found GR Customs Killerglass install instructions and it had the pics that I really needed.
I paid close attention to the lengths they recommended to cut, but noticed that the Killerglass was going to be really close to the top of the thermostat housing flange inside the hose.

So I made my own measurements using the top and bottom of the killerglass' body (and cut the top section still installed on the bike leaving the factory Gates clamp alone)...

...and cut the bottom hose to this length.

...and after settling on where I wanted to install my ghetto Radio Shack switch (I'm still searching for a better one) and figuring out where I wanted to get power (I piggy backed the ECM fuse location with one of these) I wound up with this spotlight on the side of my bike last night :cool:

Yeah it's a terrible pic, I know, so here's a pic from just a bit ago. Thanks for the helpful threads and discussions.

Next up is the HD Electra-Glo Light Pod Kit...blue of course :D

Thanks to Jim (POWERSTROKEN) for offering his phone number to me for help.

Jeff

·
_NoHighLikeMostHigh_
2,146 Posts
Looks good.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Just ordered mine yesterday ,
so that link will help me with the
install ? Cool I'll be needing lotsa
help... so just get a cheap switch
to turn led on and off? Will I need
to buy more coolant ?

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
looks great:thumb:
I used one of those fuse taps when I did my radar detector install and it kept vibrating loose. The blades are not tapered like the fuses are, so the tap didn't "lock" into place.
I ended up taking a dremel to it to taper it like the fuses. Few days later I was swapping it out with a Access-a-fuse

·
Trouble Maker
1,078 Posts
Looks good man. Jim

·
Jeff
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just ordered mine yesterday ,
so that link will help me with the
install ? Cool I'll be needing lotsa
help... so just get a cheap switch
to turn led on and off? Will I need
to buy more coolant ?
Thanks for the comments everyone.

I haven't been able to locate an Access-a-fuse yet, but I did notice the somewhat loose fit of the fuse tap. If it gives me problems then I'll get an Access-a-fuse.

Burnoutboy,

Yes, the GR Custom's install link will give you the step by step instructions to get it done. Did you click on the links I posted?

I have this switch as a starting point until I find a better quality (truly weather/washing the bike resistant) toggle switch. I did use some brush-on electrical tape and I sealed all the openings/seams on the switch but did not use any on the rocker ball portion of the switch.

I did a complete coolant swap to Engine Ice when I did my install, but you will lose some coolant when you cut and remove the section(s) of hose from your bike. I would get a bottle of HD's coolant to top your bike back off in case you spill some when trying to capture it like it states in the "How-to" thread that I posted a link to.

Do your research, think ahead, measure five times, and cut once like I did and it will all work out :D

Jeff

·
Registered
544 Posts
Cheers Jeff, I'll probabley be serving the
'refreshments' more than anything..
Just wanna make sure I've got everything
I need before we start and some usefull
instuctions !! Thanks for your help , I was
thinking of putting the switch behind the horn
but wanted to put my arnotts switch there too !
Decisions,decisions ....

·
Jeff
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers Jeff, I'll probabley be serving the
'refreshments' more than anything..
Just wanna make sure I've got everything
I need before we start and some usefull
instuctions !! Thanks for your help , I was
thinking of putting the switch behind the horn
but wanted to put my arnotts switch there too !
Decisions,decisions ....
I hear ya. I'm about to put the HD Electra-Glo Light Pod Kit on there and it has a control box that I have to mount as well. I'm going to wire in my KG into the dimmer capabilities of the HD Electra-Glo Light Pod Kit, and then I'm going to use my existing switch to switch on and off the HD Electra-Glo Light Pod Kit.

Cheers, mate, and keep those salad dodgers off your bikes arse :D

Jeff

·
Jeff
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
answering some questions

Okay, I had a PM that I thought you should all see and I took some pics to answer them because pictures are really worth a thousand words :blahblah:

So here's the PM that I got (answers are in bold with pics):

KG looks great. I am about to do mine and I'm a novice when it comes to this. I plan to do it your way as well as it made more sense. So here are my questions.

Rather than disassemble the upper hose clamp I put my steel ruler against the upper hose cover and solid coolant line. It was 3".
What was the measurement from the existing top gates from the top of the KG?

This measurement is from the bottom of the rubber coolant hose to where you see the measurement taken. There is another pic showing a measurement from the bottom of the bottom half of the hose to where I cut it in my original post.
or the measurement from the existing bottom hose to the bottom part of the KG?
No it wasn't difficult at all and I made up my Gates clamp connection to the lower hose off the bike using a heat gun...not a hair dryer as I'm not that patient :banghead:
Was it hard to get the KG in the remaining hose once you made your cut?

my ground

I used the hard coolant hose for support and my switch is made up to the harness running just above it. Don't pick on me about my wiring.
How was the wiring behind done so that it does not touch the engine from the rear of the KG?

Forever...I have ADHD
How long did it take you to install from start to finish?

Jeff

·
Registered
544 Posts
Wanna fly over to oz & do mine ??
I'll provide accomodation & alcohol etc...
Cheers again mate !!

·
Registered
3 Posts
is killerglass the best company for the led coolant hose? i want to order one and was hoping to get info on which one is the best and easiest to install on the market... thanks!
and custom rear fender i can put on my nightrod without shaving or customizing the seat....

·
Good Muthafarka
11,223 Posts
I think I should have gone this instead of the Braided line......looks heaps easier !!!!!

mmmmmmm

·
Jeff
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JohnJohnR,

So far as I know, they Killerglass is the only company that makes that product. It's safe to say that they have that corner of the market. It's an involved install, but not that difficult.

BT,

Are you serious? You're actually considering adding COLOR to your bike? I don't think they have a BLACK LED yet ;)

Thanks for looking, and my bike is going to be going under the knife for a "visual" overhaul when I get back from this deployment...and it won't be with an HD Electra-Glo Light Pod Kit either ;)

·
Good Muthafarka
11,223 Posts
JohnJohnR,

So far as I know, they Killerglass is the only company that makes that product. It's safe to say that they have that corner of the market. It's an involved install, but not that difficult.

BT,

Are you serious? You're actually considering adding COLOR to your bike? I don't think they have a BLACK LED yet ;)

Thanks for looking, and my bike is going to be going under the knife for a "visual" overhaul when I get back from this deployment...and it won't be with an HD Electra-Glo Light Pod Kit either ;)

I happy if the motor POPS...but the rest of bike needs to be black.....hahaha

·
Jeff
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I happy if the motor POPS...but the rest of bike needs to be black.....hahaha
Well, buddy, you've got my measurements and pictures for referencing. What's stopping you? Make that motor POP :deal:

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Great write up on this killer mod
its easy to do if you read up the directions on ghostrider section. BUT i could see some guys scratching their heads once they got the kit out.
The heat to shrink clamps that are used is really weird if you've never put them on before and a heat gun is needed for them (a hair dryer just wont cut it i dont think?) dont measure twice and cut once,,,,,,,,,,,, measure 10 times and cut once

·
Jeff
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Great write up on this killer mod
its easy to do if you read up the directions on ghostrider section. BUT i could see some guys scratching their heads once they got the kit out.
The heat to shrink clamps that are used is really weird if you've never put them on before and a heat gun is needed for them (a hair dryer just wont cut it i dont think?) dont measure twice and cut once,,,,,,,,,,,, measure 10 times and cut once
Thanks, HANNY, and for the record I did use a heat gun on the Gates clamps. A hair dryer will not cut it when heat shrinking them.

Word of advice, though, be sensitive with your application of heat around the LED. The heat gun can melt the insulation on the wiring harness, quickly melt the silicone that is holding the LED in place on the Killerglass or possibly damage the LED (if heated long enough). The key to shrinking the Gates clamp is to keep the gun moving (don't focus in one spot) over the area that you are shrinking.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Old thread but wondering if anyone knew if I can order this through my local hd dealer for me 2013 NRS. I got a bunch of store credit because of referrals.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts