Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced my mirrors some time ago and hooked up some Rizoma LED Front Turn Indicators which I have decided to change.
I recently purchased some Kellerman Bar End LED indicators which I have now installed.

When I Turn the Right indicator on all is fine. However when I turn the Left indicator on - BOTH the Right and Left blink.

I have check all the wiring and cant find any obvious nicks where there would be a short. Its got me beat.

My last resort is to drag some new cable from plug in wiring loom back up through the bars, but I was hoping I could avoid this.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

:bash:

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
Check and make sure you do not have a positive and a ground wire reversed somewhere.
Using the left switch makes the TSSM think you have both switches pushed at the same time.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hbo!

Rusty G, please "help a brotha out"! If you'd kindly check my directional-dilemma posts on 10/16 (username "rayaspirus") & offer some advice, I'd greatly appreciate it. This is F'n frustrating! Thanx. JR

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
Ray,
You appear to want to invert the muscle turn signal mirrors. Is this right? No mystery. The leds have directional voltage. That is one lead is Negative the other is positive. They should go back into the same connector slot as where they came out of. I don't have a muscle electronic diagram so my diagnosis is kind of limited.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Not exactly

Ray,
You appear to want to invert the muscle turn signal mirrors. Is this right? No mystery. The leds have directional voltage. That is one lead is Negative the other is positive. They should go back into the same connector slot as where they came out of. I don't have a muscle electronic diagram so my diagnosis is kind of limited.
Rusty, I'm done w/ the stock mirrors altogether. So my problem is attempting to replace the signals w/ Badlands "oval/horizontal" in-line LEDs & the're not working quite right. I'm willing to try another brand of that style (flat, slimline) but know my options are limited to something specific to the F's wiring scheme. I need info from someone who knows of aftermarket LED front signals that will work on the muscle. Thanx for reply. JR

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check and make sure you do not have a positive and a ground wire reversed somewhere.
Using the left switch makes the TSSM think you have both switches pushed at the same time.
I believe I have the positive and ground wire correctly aligned, as when I reverse them on either side I dont get any lights working on that side where I have reversed the polarity.

Is it possible I have damaged the TSSM?

My only other thought is that I might have a short somewhere in one of the indicator cables that is causing a problem?

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
e=AOW;2033691]are you using a load equalizer?[/quote]

Yes - using the load equalisers that came with the Rizoma Indicators that I was using and have removed.

I have tried the Kellerman Bar end indicators and the Rizoma's with and without the load equalisers.

I have also ran new cables as I had joined the original Harley cable in a couple of spots, and thought there might be a short.

Its got me perplexed as the Rizoma's Indicators that I am replacing worked fine until I connected the Kellerman Bar End Indicators and then the problem started.

Makes me think I have corrupted the TSSM - If I disconnect the Battery will it reset the TSSM?

Clutching at straws - but I am No Auto electrician.
:banghead:

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
Pull the maxi fuse for a minute. That will reset the TSSM.
According to my 2007 electrical diagram there are 4 wires that control the turn signals coming out of the TSSM

Pin 5 - Left turn feed ( 12 Volts to the turn signal)
Pin 6 - Right turn feed ( ditto)
Pin 7 - Right turn switch
Pin 8 - Left turn switch

Unplug Pin 7 and then hit the left switch. If the problem still exists then you have a tssm problem or crossed wires (pins 5-6) coming from the TSSM to the turn signals. If not then there is a wiring error coming from the switches.

I can't guarantee the wiring is the same on your VRSCF but it probably is.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pull the maxi fuse for a minute. That will reset the TSSM.
According to my 2007 electrical diagram there are 4 wires that control the turn signals coming out of the TSSM

Pin 5 - Left turn feed ( 12 Volts to the turn signal)
Pin 6 - Right turn feed ( ditto)
Pin 7 - Right turn switch
Pin 8 - Left turn switch

Unplug Pin 7 and then hit the left switch. If the problem still exists then you have a tssm problem or crossed wires (pins 5-6) coming from the TSSM to the turn signals. If not then there is a wiring error coming from the switches.

I can't guarantee the wiring is the same on your VRSCF but it probably is.
Appreciate the suggestion.

I pulled the fuse on the Battery to reset TSSM. Which set the alarm off. pulled the main fuse and disconected the battery which also set the alarm off.

No joy with indicators.

Unplugged pin 7 Right turn switch and activated left indicator- Right indicator didnt work - left ok.

Unplug either Pin 5 or 8 left turn signal and activated left turn signal - Right Indicator still works but not left??

However when I run one Rizoma Indicator on the left side and one Kellerman on the right side - works like a charm.

Swapped Kellerman indicators on the right side to ensure it was not a problem with one of the Kellerman indicators, and no issues.

However it all goes pair shaped when I run a Kellerman on the left and a Rizoma on the right.

I am at a loss what to do next.

I think I may have pay a visit to my local auto electrician and let him have the headache.

:banghead:

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I continue to have issues with the Kellerman BL 1000 LED Bar end indicators. I have tried a range of resisters etc.

I would be interested to hear from anybody who has replaced front mirrors and installed non original LED Front Indicators. What brand of indicators did you use, did you have issues with both indicators flashing or issues with flashing rates., Did you use "Load equaliser" (resistors) or "signal stabiliser" such as offered by Custom Dynamics.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
437 Posts
I continue to have issues with the Kellerman BL 1000 LED Bar end indicators. I have tried a range of resisters etc.

I would be interested to hear from anybody who has replaced front mirrors and installed non original LED Front Indicators. What brand of indicators did you use, did you have issues with both indicators flashing or issues with flashing rates., Did you use "Load equaliser" (resistors) or "signal stabiliser" such as offered by Custom Dynamics.

Im running Joker Machine mirrors and indicators.

Had issues at first with flash rate but it came right
Now only issue is that the alarm light stays on once moving.
Dont know why i guess its reading something different??????????????
As far as i know flash rates are just fine now

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
have to put some photos of both the rimoza and the new ones

·
Registered
142 Posts
Try these...

Consider MBW's billetted aluminum Wrap-around LED Fork turn signal kit in 56mm. They look clean & work great & no you wont need a dual element circuit or anything else. You do have to remove steering head to install, though. Contact Chrome Glow.com in Penfield, NY. Chris was a big help to me on this. Joseph Ray, Las Vegas NV.

·
Registered
20 Posts
BAZWP, I'm not exactly sure that this is the problem, but I believe that the stock led turn signals in front are running lights and turn signals. This may be a problem for the aftermarket signals. Also keep in mind that the rear turn signals are also LED. Trying to use to much load by adding resistors is probably not going to help matters. You may want to try and disconnect the rear turn signals and then add the front sets one at a time. This may get you started. Or contact the aftermarket manufacturer and they may be able to give yous some direction. I do think it has something to do with the running light situation though.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am not familiar with the aftermarket turn signals but I assume you are bypassing the front turn signal module completely and wiring them in directly to the TSSM. IF you are bypassing the front moduel than the load differences you have between the front and the rear could be what is causing your problem

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Desperate To find a solution.

Consider MBW's billetted aluminum Wrap-around LED Fork turn signal kit in 56mm. They look clean & work great & no you wont need a dual element circuit or anything else. You do have to remove steering head to install, though. Contact Chrome Glow.com in Penfield, NY. Chris was a big help to me on this. Joseph Ray, Las Vegas NV.
I have installed a set of MBW billet wrap around LED Fork turn signals, ( noting above advice on success with these indicators) and removed the Kellerman Bar end LED Indicators that I could not get to function properly (see previous posts "Another front Turn signal Issue"). Unfortunately I have the same issue - BOTH front indicators blink when I turn the LEFT Indicator on - all is good when I turn RIGHT indicators on.

I decided to switch back to the OEM Indicators and mirrors and now I have the same issue with standard setup.

I have Black & Brown wires from Front indicator Module connected to RIGHT Front indicator and Violet & Black/white Stripe connected to LEFT Indicator. I have tried a Biktronics Load equaliser with no success (attached between wiring loom and Front Turn signal Module).

Some plain english instructions on how you wired the MBW LED Indicators would be appreciated.

Last resort I was going to purchase a "New" front turn signal Module - $300 in Oz - as I think I may have corrupted or damaged the Front Turn Module.

I would appreciate any suggestions to solve my issue- The Dealership doesnt want to talk to me because I have used a non Harley product.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do you have any turn signal DTCs set along with the turn signals flashing incorrectly?
I had to Google DTC to understand what you were referring to.

Some advice on how to run diagnostic on a V Rod to access DTC codes would be appreciated.

Also any pointers on where i can access details of what the codes indicate etc would be appreciated if you have this knowledge.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts