Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago I got back from a rather long ride. 2200 in 6 days miles on a DX. Only improvements to the bike are some switchblade pegs and a brighter headlight - just letting you know that you don't need a new seat or a windshield to take this thing out for a little spin. However, the one mod that I haven't done that I would really really really really like to have is cruise control.

Anyhow, got back and decided i really needed cruise control (yes, i know how to operate a throttle lock, and no it is not anywhere near the same as cruise control). So I read and researched and read some more, and came to the conclusion that nobody makes anything that will work. However, before I give up my search, I thought I would bring it up on here one more time and see if there was great thread lurking somewhere out there that i missed.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
... I thought I would bring it up on here one more time and see if there was great thread lurking somewhere out there that i missed.
If you search the Forum for “cruise control” you'll get several hits. A little searching in those and you’d see that the HD cruise control (77183-02) designed to fit the HD FLHR (Road King), has been fit to VRSC bikes. Forum creator “Max” has done this and discusses some of the process in this thread and forum member “RustyG” has done this also as mentioned in this thread (starting at post #8).

·
EXCELSIOR
8,480 Posts
Yeah, Rustyg has done it and it is a help. The one problem is it's bulky, there's no place to hide it.
Rusty made a housing and while it works, it's not pretty.

The other drawback is due to the fact that the big twin engines don't rev as high it affects the internal programming in the unit so the V-Rod, a higher revving engine, is limited to 75 mph max.
There is a good thread about it with photos if you're interested and I'm sure that RustyG would be happy to advise.

I know from the Suzuki V-Strom forum that many are using the Rostro or Audiovox aftermarket units. However these will not work on the V-Rod. It has to do with the sensor that records pulses as the engine rotates. The number of counts per rev is way different.

As for me I use the throttle screw, snug it enough to hold the thottle position but you can still rotate it. I leave it that way all the time. Those of us that are older remember when HD's had no thottle return springs and it acts much like that. It allows me to rest my throttle hand on rides at cruising speeds.

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
I have mentioned this before I think. The Cruise control setup I installed on my 2007 VRSCX WILL NOT FUNCTION WITH STOCK GAUGES. I have Dakota Digital gauges designed for air head bikes and the cruise control does function with these gauges.

It all has to do with the output of the speed sensor ppm's (Pulses per mile)

·
Premium Member
2,900 Posts
What I don't understand is why HD doesn't either (a) include it or (b) offer it as an option.

I'm sure that a cruise was developed for the VRSC when they prototyped the factory VRSC baggers. Since it was very likely already engineered, why not sell it as an option?

·
Premium Member
11,353 Posts
What I don't understand is why HD doesn't either (a) include it or (b) offer it as an option.

I'm sure that a cruise was developed for the VRSC when they prototyped the factory VRSC baggers. Since it was very likely already engineered, why not sell it as an option?
There is literally no place to add a Cruise control module to the VROD as currently manufactured. I found that out when I installed mine.
Also. The VROD is a cruiser bike not a bagger. It was never meant to do long haul touring so Cruise control is not necessary.

I hung mine off the side of the bike just below the seat. Much like where H-D hung the module on my Road King. It looks ugly but it works.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts