Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
JCA1972
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI, I have an 04 vrcb 4200 miles, I havn't had any problems until today, I was riding to work and when I shifted from 1st to 2nd I noticed my clutch started slipping, my rpms went up but the bike sped up slowly, I then shifted to 3rd and felt the same thing, if I rev it up slowly it gains speed but if I try to speed up fast my rpms shoot up and the clutch slips. I stoped the bike and when I took off on 1st it did the same thing again, the rpms shoot up and I gain no speed. I can gain speed if I rev it up slowly. I did a search but couldn't find this same exact problem, can you guys tell me if this is the clutch going bad or something else. I changed the oil about 2 months ago I used mobil one V-twin oil, and an hd filter.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
When was the last time you bled the clutch line? It sounds like clutch slip to me.

Either you have oil that is not rated for a wet clutch (Mobil 2 V-twin should not be an issue)

Or your clutch line needs to be bled.

Or your clutch is fried.

If you're hard on the clutch, then it could die within 4,200 miles. Heck, it could fry within 1 mile if you drag race the bike.

All it takes is one failed burnout attempt to fry a clutch. (so I'm told :hidesbeh:)

·
orig member feb 2004
724 Posts
JCA1972 said:
HI, I have an 04 vrcb 4200 miles, I havn't had any problems until today, I was riding to work and when I shifted from 1st to 2nd I noticed my clutch started slipping, my rpms went up but the bike sped up slowly, I then shifted to 3rd and felt the same thing, if I rev it up slowly it gains speed but if I try to speed up fast my rpms shoot up and the clutch slips. I stoped the bike and when I took off on 1st it did the same thing again, the rpms shoot up and I gain no speed. I can gain speed if I rev it up slowly. I did a search but couldn't find this same exact problem, can you guys tell me if this is the clutch going bad or something else. I changed the oil about 2 months ago I used mobil one V-twin oil, and an hd filter.
Have you checked your handle bar clutch fluid level? Dot 5 is only good for a couple of years.Because you said you can pick up speed slowly,sounds like
it's not fully disengaging IMHO.

·
orig member feb 2004
724 Posts
rjrivero said:
When was the last time you bled the clutch line? It sounds like clutch slip to me.

Either you have oil that is not rated for a wet clutch (Mobil 2 V-twin should not be an issue)

Or your clutch line needs to be bled.

Or your clutch is fried.

If you're hard on the clutch, then it could die within 4,200 miles. Heck, it could fry within 1 mile if you drag race the bike.

All it takes is one failed burnout attempt to fry a clutch. (so I'm told :hdesbeh:)
:them: I Didn't make it out of the dealer parking lot.

·
Premium Member
Pan American Son of VROD :-)
1,093 Posts
The boys are on track..... Take the opportunity to change the fluid and if that doesn't help, swap the clutch.

·
JCA1972
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I when I bought the bike it had 3800 miles, I have not blead or changed the clutch fluid, this is my first bike so I don't ride it hard at all I'm still gettting used to it. I have never tried to burn out and it has been working fine until today. the motor oil I used is the correct one for a V-Twin. I'm still at work I will check the clutch fuid tomorrow, I hope I can make it home ok.
Thanks for your input guys.

·
JCA1972
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well the bike rode fine this morning, I did notice some slipping as I got closer to the house, I called the previous owner and he said that he installed the boss blade levers right before he sold me the bike, he said that he still had the stock ones. I went to his house and picked up the stock levers and swapped them out, I checked the clutch hydraulic fluid and it was full and clear, the motor oil level was good too. I'm riding to work again tonight I'll let you guys know it this fixed the problem.

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
JCA1972 said:
well the bike rode fine this morning, I did notice some slipping as I got closer to the house, I called the previous owner and he said that he installed the boss blade levers right before he sold me the bike, he said that he still had the stock ones. I went to his house and picked up the stock levers and swapped them out, I checked the clutch hydraulic fluid and it was full and clear, the motor oil level was good too. I'm riding to work again tonight I'll let you guys know it this fixed the problem.
GET RID OF THOSE LEVERS.

There is a thread on them not allowing the plungers to open up all the way. It can cause the clutch to slip, as the fluid expands, or worse, can cause the front brake to lock up as the fluid expands.

Stick with the HD brake levers. Ask Danno.

RJ

·
20 Eyes in my Head
5,557 Posts
rjrivero said:
GET RID OF THOSE LEVERS.

There is a thread on them not allowing the plungers to open up all the way. It can cause the clutch to slip, as the fluid expands, or worse, can cause the front brake to lock up as the fluid expands.

Stick with the HD brake levers. Ask Danno.

RJ
:them: Danno got busted up pretty bad because of them I believe.

·
JCA1972
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I made it to work with now problems at all, I rode the bike pretty hard and didn't feel any slipage. Thank you all for your input, it seems like the levers were the problem after all, it's just weird how they worked fine all this time and then all of the sudden they started acting up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts