Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered my 28T pulley kit today and spoke to 3 different service techs at 3 different HD dealerships. I was told the following ref the electronics upgrade:

Dealer #1- "I donno."
Dealer #2- "You will need to bring the bike in so we can charge you $100 to upgrade the electronics as the 28T pulley will effect your fuel mixture."
Dealer #3- "The upgrade is to recalibrate your speedo only"

None of the dealerships had installed the 28T pulley on a VRod yet. None could answer any questions concerning fuel milage or RPM issues.

My last and final questions about this modification are:

1. I have the PCRIII, Samson Long Slashers, and K&M High Flow Air Filter. Will I need to make any PCRIII changes?

2. Is the upgrade that HD want's to do on my bike for the speedo only?

3. After the modification, when the low fuel light comes on, will there be any changes as to how far I can drive to the next fuel stop?

4. Is there any big change in the speedo without calibration?

5. Is there any big differnce in fuel milage?

6. What kinda horse power gains will I see?

I guess thats enough for now. I know several of you have advised that I will diffently notice the performance after the mod and I can't wait.

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
I am getting a 28T here shortly.I heard that the 28t doesn't change your mixtures.If you want you can just get a speedo calibrater from v-mod.They're $100.If I don't go with the race tuner that is the way I'm going.Thet change in the speedo is 7%.It's just like puting lower gears in your can,more acceration.

·
I seek only water...
1,029 Posts
The ECM calibration is for the speedo ONLY, it has nothing to do with fuel/air ratio and does nothing for the PCIIIr.
7% is the gearing differential between the 30T and 28T. Speed, acceleration, distance and fuel are all linear in their relationship to the 28T. In other words all are decreased by 7%.
There is no increase in horsepower where the motor is concerned -- this is a purely a rear/front pulley dynamic.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks...i really mean it

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Michael333 said:
The ECM calibration is for the speedo ONLY, it has nothing to do with fuel/air ratio and does nothing for the PCIIIr.
7% is the gearing differential between the 30T and 28T. Speed, acceleration, distance and fuel are all linear in their relationship to the 28T. In other words all are decreased by 7%.
There is no increase in horsepower where the motor is concerned -- this is a purely a rear/front pulley dynamic.
Actually the distance and fuel (fuel economy) are not linear. Since you're always moving through the rev range it's effect is dependant on the conditions and your riding style. I noticed a 2% reduction in average fuel economy (41 mpg down to 40 mpg)

·
Registered
503 Posts
I did the 28th coversion.. only got a chance to ride for about 3 miles as it was FREEZING out... it was also my first ride with my v mod pipes... it sounds and runs VERY NICE... a huge improvement.

It is my understanding (and it make sense if you think about it) that the 28 th only alters the speedo by 7%.... reads 53mph when you going 50 mph... no sweat.. maybe save a ticket someday.

my ozzyskins chrome on chrome should be here any day.. I am pumped...

best to all...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts