Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

i want to get a couple parts on the NRS changed from chrome to black but not sure which would be the best to go for.

I've heard that anodising is stonger.

Also some companys that do these would be great too (in the uk for course)

Thanks

Mark

·
www.badpenny.org
4,172 Posts
Hey guys,

i want to get a couple parts on the NRS changed from chrome to black but not sure which would be the best to go for.

I've heard that anodising is stonger.

Also some companys that do these would be great too (in the uk for course)

Thanks

Mark
Which parts Mark? I don't think steel can be anodised and I can't think of any chrome plated alloy parts on a NRS.
I've had my brake lever and gearchange black powder coated and the finish is pretty tough.....
Steve

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which parts Mark? I don't think steel can be anodised and I can't think of any chrome plated alloy parts on a NRS.
I've had my brake lever and gearchange black powder coated and the finish is pretty tough.....
Steve
haha it is the brake lever, gear lever and pegs. ive seen the price for aftermarket ones and thinking it would be cheaper to get them recoloured.

So powder coating is the way then? got any pics of yours?

Mark

·
www.badpenny.org
4,172 Posts
haha it is the brake lever, gear lever and pegs. ive seen the price for aftermarket ones and thinking it would be cheaper to get them recoloured.

So powder coating is the way then? got any pics of yours?

Mark
I'll post a couple up tomorrow.....

·
www.badpenny.org
4,172 Posts
Best I can do this early on a sunday morning.
As my NRS isn't really an NRS anymore you could always take the easy option and send me £40 (the cost of the powder coating) and your controls and I'll send you mine in exchange.
Not seen here is that the gearchange arm and the splined arm that fits onto the gearbox output shaft are also powder coated.
If you decide to get them powdercoated locally don't forget to remove the plastic bushes from the brake and gear levers first....
In the pics are reduced reach footpeg mounts - they're not included in the trade :)

Steve

Attachments

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As my NRS isn't really an NRS anymore you could always take the easy option and send me £40 (the cost of the powder coating) and your controls and I'll send you mine in exchange.
Not seen here is that the gearchange arm and the splined arm that fits onto the gearbox output shaft are also powder coated.
If you decide to get them powdercoated locally don't forget to remove the plastic bushes from the brake and gear levers first....
In the pics are reduced reach footpeg mounts - they're not included in the trade :)

Steve
Thanks Steve,

Look alot better black, its ok there are plenty of powder coating companys around here, just didnt know if anodising or powder coating is the way forward.

I have reduced reach pegs anyway. :moped:

·
www.badpenny.org
4,172 Posts
Thanks Steve,

Look alot better black, its ok there are plenty of powder coating companys around here, just didnt know if anodising or powder coating is the way forward.

I have reduced reach pegs anyway. :moped:
Splendid - it does look the dogs danglys on an NRS.I don't know why Harley didn't do it in the first place.

·
Premium Member
3,923 Posts
Its mickey mouse metal, powdercoating is the way to go.

·
Registered
962 Posts
had my hand levers and foot levers + belt guard done at local alloy wheel refrub place charged me £40 the lot !

just take out the hard plastic bushes from the foot levers with a socket +hammer , when you get them back just sand the inner holes of levers for overspray grease and refit bushes !

·
Registered
400 Posts

Steve
I'll does this if you want mine? Been meaning to get them powder coated for a while.

·
LEX MALLA LEX NULLA
1,072 Posts
Definitely want to go with the powder coating. Anodizing and dyeing to a consistent color on the castings in question would be tough at best and the gloss would also be an issue. A good powder coating will hold up well and will look much better than dyed anodizing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts