Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted an earlier thread relating my 6 years off the bike after a serious injury and my acquisition of a Street Rod at 75 years old. Well, I made the plunge and now have 200 km under my belt. My earlier life included Nortons, Triumphs, Guzzis and a long string of Ducatis with a Harley Deuce thrown in. My earlier gripe about Harleys was that you couldn't turn or stop them, but they were good for freeways and styling.
The Street Rod is a whole different animal. Though my "dare devil" days are long passed, but I am astounded at the stability of the Rod. It is not a knee dragger like my sport bikes were, but it instills confidence in mid turn corrections and other non-Harley maneuvers like stopping.
When parking the thing it is like dancing with an elephant, but as soon as it starts to move the weight goes away. It pulls like a freight train. I love it.
Thanks for all the advise! I put on bar end mirrors as the stock ones are useless. After the first 100 miles I treated my sore ass to a Corbin seat which was well worth the investment.
I have had one mishap when I touched the front break in the pea gravel leading to my Garage. The bike stopped and did an immediate chop flop. Damage was minor and easily repaired. Lifting the mother was another story. Unless you guys have some magic technique for a codger to upright one of these things it took me an afternon and an improvised A frame to raise it. No more brakes in the gravel for me.!
Thanks again for the good information and advise.

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Welcome to our forum, enjoy your ride !!

:welcome:

·
boredom kills
2,310 Posts
Welcome!

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Lifting the mother was another story. Unless you guys have some magic technique for a codger to upright one of these things it took me an afternon and an improvised A frame to raise it. No more brakes in the gravel for me.!
Thanks again for the good information and advise.
It may not be light, but, at least it is top heavy.:)

·
NSFW
1,984 Posts
La Taupe,

Did you end up buying it in May? How many miles so far?

I, too, tipped mine over early. I happened to have a friend there to help me get it back upright. There is a technique for lifting a heavy MC alone. I think you can find some videos on youtube if you search for it. I can't give you a link right now from work. Youtube is locked out. It involves backing up to the side of the bike and putting your butt against the upper frame. Then, while grabbing and lifting on whatever's reachable with each hand, pushing with your legs. It is said that a person can lift a 900# Goldwing with this method.

I really don't like gravel whilst I'm on the R.

Doc

·
Registered
22 Posts
Like you, I'm new to the forum, and the new owner of a 2006 StreetRod, and I agree with your conclusions and observations. I bought a NightRod in 2006, at the time being a little intimidated by the seat height of the VRSCR. They're both great bikes, but the R clearly has the edge. BTW, I dropped a BMW K 75 about a month ago, ( less than 500lbs). Recalled the "Picking it up" video, but must have missed the ending. I couldn't get it past the 45 or 50 degree mark.
Mind you, I'm 71, and as they say, if I'd known I was going to live this long..........................................

·
Registered
340 Posts
Good onya mate, welcome to the forum and "R" ownership. Great to see you still out there riding!:notworth:

·
Registered
204 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
La Taupe,

Did you end up buying it in May? How many miles so far?

I, too, tipped mine over early. I happened to have a friend there to help me get it back upright. There is a technique for lifting a heavy MC alone. I think you can find some videos on youtube if you search for it. I can't give you a link right now from work. Youtube is locked out. It involves backing up to the side of the bike and putting your butt against the upper frame. Then, while grabbing and lifting on whatever's reachable with each hand, pushing with your legs. It is said that a person can lift a 900# Goldwing with this method.

I really don't like gravel whilst I'm on the R.

Doc
I had a typo. I have put 2000 km on it rather then 200. It had 16000 kms (9900 miles) on it and was in great shape. It is a French model, so it is detuned a small amount, but I can still scare myself on it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts