Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Crash Bandacoot
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This story is a tad long,but you may find interesting,and maybe offer your oppinion.

In 1979 when I was 23,I had a '48 panhead,wishbone frame,spoolie front wheel,goosenecks,solo seat,sporty tank,mousetrap etc.

It was memorial day weekend,coming home from a buddies grain alcohol party...as I came up a hill with a curve to it at the top,my kickstand dug into the road,pushing me to the other side,ejecting me off the bike as the handlebars dug into my left side ripping the kidney off the artery..in intensive care for aweek missing the kidney and having a broken arm..I gave up bikes,for 25 yrs.

2005..my best buddy for 30 yrs is insistant that I get another bike. Over the previous yrs he'd mention it from time to time but this year he wouldnt lay off! He had a buddy who had a bike,that I could get cheap,not a HD,but a bike. He then said when I got it running <been sitting in a shed for 3 yrs> it would give him ambition to get his '74 shovel going.

so I traded a '79 town car for an '86 Yamaha Maxim X,700 c.c. shaft drive liquid cooled,with 12k on the speedo..and it needed work. No keys,locked frontend,torn seat,rust starting from moisture in the shed,,flat tire..anyway,got it in my pickup and took her home.

Called my buddy a few nights later,said I have friday off,he says him too.Said I wanna get some stuff for the yammi friday,gimme a hand? He says Ya,come get me in the morning.
I call about 9am and his mom answered "hes still in bed".
I thought that to be odd,coz hes always up at the crack of dawn.
I said I'll call back in an hour,when I did his niece answered,crying..told me to please come over. As i came down his street,there were the cops,fire department,ambulence in the driveway. He passed away in his sleep,49 yrs old.12 days shy of his 50th,on august 13th..a FRIDAY.

So his daughter has his shovel,shes 22 I think now,married but not into bikes. His ex,who baught the bike for him waaayyyyy back when, knows I always liked the bike,I know the history, the original buyer is a friend who bought it new while in high school,sold it a yr later to my buddies brother,who crashed it,sat on it for years,then my buddie got it from his brother and fixed it up. He would paint it..let it sit in his garage,then repaint it a few yrs later,and let it sit,riding it ocassionally down the street,never having it registered.
He did move to South Carolina for a few yrs and took it with him and did ride it regularly.

Now I have heard thru a mutual friend that his ex wants to get rid of it and that I would have first dibs at it. She has said that her oldest daughters husband is good with bikes and that he'll get it running.. I could have it for about 3K..last time I saw it he just had a black with purple and gold ribbon paint to the 5 gallon fat bobs,it has a wide glide,goose necks, electric/kick start, front disc brake.
I could probably ebay my norton and have plenty to buy it.

Any comments?? :moped:

·
Premium Member
895 Posts

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
To bad about your friend.at least he went peacefully.
Get the bike.Shovels can be built to haul ass.For 3 k you will not go wrong w this bike at all.
If you decide no and it comes up for sale to anyone,please let me know.

·
Crash Bandacoot
1,431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A real eery thing about this story..I still have the yammi and did it up right "in his memory" I then bought an 05 VTX..hence my name on the forum.. A YEAR TO THE DATE of his passing, a woman pulls out in front of me and I t-bone her doing 40mph..thats how I ended up with the V..think he was watching out for me.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I would agree, I have had things happen to me that any person would think would be a life ending event and walked away from it. I think a person who thinks things like this are just easy breaks are beyond stupid. We all have someone looking over us and guiding us in the right direction and saving us from time to time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts