·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the course of the last year I have been watching the amazing amount
of Harleys for sale on various sites, Carsoup, Cycletrader and of course
E-Bay and others.
Many, many late model bikes with very low miles and tons of 5 to 10 year
old models, and of the older models the price has been dropping dramatically.
Example: 1997 Heritage Softail Classic, one owner, mint cond, too many
extras to list, must sell. $7,500. 17,000 miles. Now, a year ago this bike may have sold for $10,500- $12,000.
And the older V-Rods seem to be holding thier price, even tho it is somewhat low, seem to be climbing in price a little.
Interesting, indeed.
Input? Comments?
Floyd

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
It is odd for years we have been reading people complain about low resale value but I think what they saw was an industry trend rather then a v-rod trend. The economy is not the best at least in my area and toys are the first thing to go when times get tough. I also notice that the v-rod takes a beating the first couple of years but then seems to slow down when the value gets around 10k.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also yesterday I took an extended ride out in the country and was astounded by the number of homes for sale, it seemed like every other one.
Makes me wonder if we are heading for a collapse in our economy.
Predicted 140,000 home forclosesuers in the coming year.
Hummm

·
I'm Bored
1,741 Posts
I think it's all cyclical. It will pick up again and home prices will go through the roof so it may be a good time to invest if you've got the jack. One thing we saw around the Ohio valley was all the people who had watched "Flip this House" or similar shows on cable and decided that they wanted to try it for themselves. Well now we've got a lot of homes that are overpriced just because they threw down some cheap tile and paint and of course no one wants them. Add that to the sub-prime mess here in Ohio (highest number of foreclosures in the country) and it makes for a mess. It will clean up in time because builders are slow to develop right now so new residents are looking at used homes and as those get bought up I think it will turn around. With that being said, if anyone wants a 6 bedroom 4 bathroom home on a city park in Cincinnati with a small barn in the backyard, give me a call!

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
sgtrage said:
I think it's all cyclical. It will pick up again and home prices will go through the roof so it may be a good time to invest if you've got the jack. One thing we saw around the Ohio valley was all the people who had watched "Flip this House" or similar shows on cable and decided that they wanted to try it for themselves. Well now we've got a lot of homes that are overpriced just because they threw down some cheap tile and paint and of course no one wants them. Add that to the sub-prime mess here in Ohio (highest number of foreclosures in the country) and it makes for a mess. It will clean up in time because builders are slow to develop right now so new residents are looking at used homes and as those get bought up I think it will turn around. With that being said, if anyone wants a 6 bedroom 4 bathroom home on a city park in Cincinnati with a small barn in the backyard, give me a call!
I may be wrong but I think Floyd may be onto something here. I think right now America is loaded with debt and that the housing industry is just the first to feel the crunch. Everything is out sourced right now, for the first time last month the average income dropped if I read it correct and the numbers employed are being inflated to a degree. I think we have through the holiday season to see the market stay strong but I think the month of February will show a mark drop in our economy. From what I see in our area there is a very dark cloud on the horizon and I don't see this as a speed bump but rather a brick wall that were heading for. I really hope I'm wrong but the every other house for sale in our area, the mortgage companies now making it much tougher to get the notes and the general rate of defaults I think will in the end start the spiral down. Remember 30% of our economy is linked directly to the new home market one way or the other. All my opinion though and nothing based on anything concrete.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Forever is a long time, but I don't think you'll ever see the return of the situation where a Harley employee could buy a bike with their discount, ride it for a year, and then sell it for as much or more than they bought it for.

The economy does play a part in used bike pricing. And out of the record number of house forclosures, surely some of them are people who sell their bikes at low prices to raise cash.

Also, with dealers stocked with lots of new bikes, it makes buying a used one less appealing. Why pay $12,000 for someone's used Heritage Softtail (ten years old) when you can buy a brand new one for literally a fewthousand more? Ten years ago you would have had to wait a year to buy a new bike from a dealer.

Why are older V-Rod's rising in price? Relative rarity, and unique features. Harley doesn't sell the anodized finish or solid wheels anymore, two features that a lot of people thought made the V-Rod especially good looking. With the frame change to accomodate the 240 wheel and bigger tank - you can't buy a 2008 and put an anodized rear fender on it.

·
JeffC 1/2 to 300mph!
5,733 Posts
I think we'll see a slight increase in sales again heading up to Christmas. I would have thought the gas prices would have dropped more by now.

One of my friends that has a huge retail store is about to call it quits- tired of playing the game (higher rents, taxes etc.). Service industry has higher profits than retail but, service and retail both being off is not a good sign. Still they will make an effort to get one more passing season before the Christmas "Meandor" ends. With Michigans government almost shutting down last week and it was just postponed- used prices will be all over the board.
Some still have good jobs some have lost them, depending on your area and what your economic drive is. Glad I'm not in the selling or buying market right now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts