Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have already posted that on my exhaust where the third volume is the spot welds broke that hold the threads for the Torx screws. These Torx screws attach the chrome shielding to the exhaust on my R. The work is going to be covered under warranty this Saturday.

My question: How long would you guess it would take to change out that center piece of the full exhaust?
 

·
VRSCD's Rule!
Joined
·
4,160 Posts
JDR_ROD said:
Well I have already posted that on my exhaust where the third volume is the spot welds broke that hold the threads for the Torx screws. These Torx screws attach the chrome shielding to the exhaust on my R. The work is going to be covered under warranty this Saturday.

My question: How long would you guess it would take to change out that center piece of the full exhaust?
Just the Third Volume? I would guess maybe 30 minutes? 1 hour if HD does it.
 

·
spit happens
Joined
·
5,534 Posts
A week if the dealer did it.:D
 

·
Guitar, not Gator
Joined
·
8,049 Posts
If they have the 3rd volume, it should be back in your hands in an hour. If they do not have it, do not let them hold the bike, it could be weeks. I went in for the recalled heat shield 3 weeks ago and they said it would be 3 days to get parts. Glad I didn't leave it there this whole time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is no way in hell I am leaving my baby at the dealer until they get the parts, especially if the bike is still ridable.

The third volume came in on Monday...only 3 days to get it. My tech said 1.5 hours so he is close if you guys are saying 1 hour.

The service writers book says .6 but that did not seem realistic to me.

Gulfcoast Harley is a great dealership and their service department is actually pretty damn good. They actually have 2 techs that know VRODS!!

The one thing I think that upsets the service writers is that I WAIT for the work to be done instead of just leaving it.
 

·
VRSCD's Rule!
Joined
·
4,160 Posts
JDR, it really is simple. They put the bike on the lift making it really easy, then remove the upper rear exhaust bolt (1) connected to the passenger foot peg. Then the 1 lower bolt connected to the lower exhaust bracket. They then pull the cans off. There are a couple of more support bolts and the figure 8 clamp. Bingo, its off. Attach the heat shields and then re-install. 45 minutes tops!
 

·
1130cc.comaholic
Joined
·
13,241 Posts
yeah they'll charge you for the hour and a half but I can change my exhaust in 20 minutes, maybe a little longer if they are being stubborn and not wanting to slide on easy. I've had mine off three times just messing around with different exhaust.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lakedrunk said:
yeah they'll charge you for the hour and a half but I can change my exhaust in 20 minutes, maybe a little longer if they are being stubborn and not wanting to slide on easy. I've had mine off three times just messing around with different exhaust.

They are not charging me at all.....WARRANTY....I love having it!!
 

·
1130cc.comaholic
Joined
·
13,241 Posts
ohh, I musta missed that part :thumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
494 Posts
JDR_ROD said:
There is no way in hell I am leaving my baby at the dealer until they get the parts, especially if the bike is still ridable.

The third volume came in on Monday...only 3 days to get it. My tech said 1.5 hours so he is close if you guys are saying 1 hour.

The service writers book says .6 but that did not seem realistic to me.

Gulfcoast Harley is a great dealership and their service department is actually pretty damn good. They actually have 2 techs that know VRODS!!

The one thing I think that upsets the service writers is that I WAIT for the work to be done instead of just leaving it.
30 minutes if you do it - 1.5 at the dealer, at least - the tech's gonna need to do some research and [then] take a break . . . :hidesbeh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Fletch said:
30 minutes if you do it - 1.5 at the dealer, at least - the tech's gonna need to do some research and [then] take a break . . . :hidesbeh:
I am going to tell them not to even wash it, that should cut some time there. My tech Ken is not a guy that screws around.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well bike was fixed today only took 1 hour...I love my dealership!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,746 Posts
JDR_ROD said:
Well bike was fixed today only took 1 hour...I love my dealership!!
Its great thing to have a stealership that knows V-Rods and respects/treats the customer like a human. Good for you!:moped:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hd-v-rodder said:
Its great thing to have a stealership that knows V-Rods and respects/treats the customer like a human. Good for you!:moped:
Yes they are few and far between
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top