Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Smokebomb King
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I was just asking the dealer if they would let me bring in Amsoil to have put in during my 5k mile service. He said it wouldn't be a problem, but he also told me that amsoil is very very thick and should be taken out before winter as it might bog up. Sounds like BS, but I figured i'd ask the experts here first...thanks!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Total bull as far as i'm concerned. Been using it for years now and never had any probs. 20w50 oil is 20w50 oil no matter the brand. Guess he wanted you to put in the Harley oil.

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
Yeah umm thats total bull where is ole o2man when u need him? Wait till he replies should be interesting needless to say.

·
Banned
6,735 Posts
Ken has an accent? :confused:

- That's not an accent! He was just partying and slurring a bit...

·
Blowin' Smoke
2,647 Posts
Um, my manual does say that you should change to 10 - 40 if you are riding in cold weather - it gave temperature numbers but I can't remember them off-hand. The manual predicts hard starts in cold temps with 20 - 50. I haven't had that experience, and have ridden many times at temps below freezing. Amsoil, of course!

·
Registered
922 Posts
The owners manual specs a 10w40 for winter use if the temp in your area is below 40 degrees F and if your going to ride it in those temps. When it hits winter here, mine will be sitting in the garage with 20w50 in it. I used to ride below 40 F but these days I find other things to do. I know some of you northern maniacs ride throughout the winter. :)

·
John
2,700 Posts
louballs said:
Hey guys,

I was just asking the dealer if they would let me bring in Amsoil to have put in during my 5k mile service. He said it wouldn't be a problem, but he also told me that amsoil is very very thick and should be taken out before winter as it might bog up. Sounds like BS, but I figured i'd ask the experts here first...thanks!
That guy was thinking about Log Cabin Amsoil or Cocoa Butter Amsoil... they get thicker in the winter...

·
Banned
6,735 Posts
I'd not recommend riding too much below 40. Your tires get harder and there's sometimes ice patches in shady areas. It's not a matter of comfort, it's a matter of not crashing.

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
The only time the thicker oil is an issue is if temps are below 40. Even then, it's only an issue when starting the bike. Once the bike's over that temp, the oil heats up and assumes normal performance. Just be sure you have the bike in neutral (vs holding the clutch) when you start it to reduce the starting load and that you have a good battery and it shouldn't be a problem. I've run mine as low as 13deg F.

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
Why is anyone talking about riding in BELOW 40 degree weather? I think you have alot more problems than the oil.

·
Registered
90 Posts
luxlamf said:
Why is anyone talking about riding in BELOW 40 degree weather? I think you have alot more problems than the oil.
:them:

Yeah, like your balls freezing to the seat. Anyone ever see Joe Dirt?

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
louballs said:
Hey guys,

Lou, it was nice talking to you earlier.

Here is the deal on viscosity. Each "weight" of oil, ie 20w-50, must fit into a specified range on a scale. There is no getting around that. Keep in mind that a true synthetic oil will have better "flowability" at cold temps as well.

Check out the chart in the attachment for specific numbers.

Here is a tib bit for the day. Did everyone know that a 20w-50 motor oil and 75w-90 are relatively close in physical viscosity?

Attachments

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
o2man98 said:
Lou, it was nice talking to you earlier.

Here is the deal on viscosity. Each "weight" of oil, ie 20w-50, must fit into a specified range on a scale. There is no getting around that. Keep in mind that a true synthetic oil will have better "flowability" at cold temps as well.

Here is a tib bit for the day. Did everyone know that a 20w-50 motor oil and 75w-90 are relatively close in physical viscosity?
Hers another Tid Bit, "Take the AUTOMOBILE when its dips below 50 degrees you crazy fuc$ers"

·
Bike snob
756 Posts
luxlamf said:
Hers another Tid Bit, "Take the AUTOMOBILE when its dips below 50 degrees you crazy fuc$ers"
Silly Californian.
If I quit riding when it got cold, I'd only get to ride two months out of the year.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts