Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

changed my oil from syn3 to Amsoil 25-50 HD spec about 800miles ago and used 5 bottles to change oil , checked it today and it needs another 1/2 Qtr (good job i purchased a spare bottle)

i know these engines use oil and read posts on the matter for over 2 years , just surpised i had to add so early as thought Amsoil would be better for comsumption ?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
no oil leaking anywhere !

and the bike gets hammered always has ! although did a long trip on motorway/freeway 200 miles at 70mph (as was with loads of other riders who wanted to criuse)

bikes done 13500 miles in total and has been ridden hard with plently of redline decel's !

just shocked that it would need 1/2 qt in less than 1000 miles ince changing to Amsoil as thought this was better for usage.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,938 Posts
How are you checking the oil?

side stand or upright...

·
Insane inda membrane
13,002 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
What oil consumption did you have before? When I switched from Syn-3 my consumption went down. I dont have to add between changes (3-4000miles) This is long distance highway riding.

·
Justpassinthru
8,976 Posts
It takes a while and took me 9000 miles and last 2000 where with hard acells for a few gears and decels with syn-3 and then change to Amsoil and do it for another 1500 miles. I was useing 1 quart of oil with every 400 miles with syn -3 and then use none with amsoil oil after 1500 miles.I got the bike used with 1600 miles on it and they babied it and you need to run at least 4000 rpm in gear and no lugging motor and very throttle and speed and no short runs as it cause fuel delution in oil in less then 12 mile run. So ride it hard and get no speeding tickets on it.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
if memory serves me correctly, the '08 DX was infamous for oil blow by in the airbox

1 - 13 of 13 Posts