Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 2 of 43 Posts

· Premium Member
2,904 Posts
With the price of several oil analysis reports, couldn't you just CHANGE your oil for less money? Unless you are being paid by amsoil to push the life of the oil to the limit. Now that you are certain that the oil holds up for extended use, wouldn't you consider something like a 10,000 mile oil change interval? That way you recoup some of the high cost of the synthetic oil with going perhaps 4X your recommended service interval. But at 10,000 miles you still are getting some nice fresh oil in the bike say once a year...

How much oil did you have to add to top off when you changed the filter? If you ended up filling up more than a quart you can see one reason the oil can last so long... you're essentially replaced a good 25% of it...
-------------------
Long and the short of it, obviously the synthetic oils (and specifically this Amsoil) are pretty amazing stuff. Not sure I'd run over 13,000 miles without an oil change on a very expensive motor like that in the V-rod.... just sounds scary to me. But obviously you can get AT LEAST 3 times the use from synthetic oil as you can get from dino oil...

· Premium Member
2,904 Posts
Sorry Rich... I didn't mean to imply that the ONLY reason the Amsoil was still good was that you replaced 25% of it... Now that I look back on what I posted it does read that way, doesn't it?

Also, not to be a total sh*t, but I did say "If you ended up filling up more than a quart" which would include oil you added at the filter change, and any top off oil you have had to add due to oil consumption. If you go just a tick more than 1qt 6oz, than my statement of 25% IS correct. However, if you used much LESS than a quart (I don't know how much oil is lost during a filter change if you don't drain the oil first... I'd think MOST of it???) If you say you've added less than 10%, that's great.

That in no way takes away from the fact that I said, "...obviously the synthetic oils (and specifically this Amsoil) are pretty amazing stuff. "

1 - 2 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.