Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
RONZER....Iv'e switched over to it and very much satisfied....I found Amsoil at a local NAPPA store.......couple of bucks cheaper than H.D. Syn.

·
speeding safely
499 Posts
'Fantastic' 'Satisfied' ????

Sounds like this goop is getting rave reviews. So, what is the difference that you notice? What makes it 'fantastic'. I'm just a technical newbie here, but the regular harley oil in my engine seems to be working fine. I guess I just don't know what I'm missing? Perhaps I'm lucky, but my vrod shifts easily, runs smoothly, and doesn't seem to burn a drop of oil. I wouldn't mind a little less valve whine tho'.

Can you hear a difference in the engine?
Can you feel a difference?
More power?
Better fuel economy?
Longer duration between changes. (Amsoil's site recommends that you CAN extend the oil change interval, Harley Syn3 says 'no'.

·
speeding safely
499 Posts
I'm such a friggen' skeptic.

Yeah. OK, Amsoil has a smaller 'wear scar' in Amsoil's 4-ball test- but how does that apply to reality? In Amsoil's test- The Syn3 and the Screaming Eagle regular oil both have about the same 'wear scar' score. Does that mean that Syn3 is no better than regular? Or are their many other figures in the test that they're not reporting (like temperature?) that perhaps show no difference- or something poorer?

15 degrees sounds like a sigificant drop. I wonder what % of the heat in our engine is generated by friction, and what % is generated by burning fuel.

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
Not exactly sure on the v-rod what the drop was for me w/AMSOIL, but on my air-cooled Sportster, it ran 210 on HD dinosaur oil and on AMSOIL it runs 150 - 160 depending on the heat of the day. When I run the Sportster hard, it would jump to 225 on HD Dino oil, and with AMSOIL would go to 210 -215.

Started running AMSOIL in the tranny, as Sportsters take a different lube than motor oil, and the shifting improved.

Started running AMSOIL in the V-Rod at 1000 miles, and when it was changed at 5,000 miles, I showed a sample of the oil to the gguy I get the stuff from. He advised I could have gotten another 10,000 out of it. He runs the stuff in his sprint cars, has lost oil in races and tellls me the AMSOIL literally saved his motor.

Not talking brand specific here, but working with the US Army, they run synthetics in all their equipment and because of this have save millions because of cold start protection, longer life of engines due to less wear that is caused by friction heat. Also, on the aircraft side of the house, I understand from what I've been told, that synthetics are the only thing that will stand up to high RPMs without breakdown, and that is all that is used in aircraft motors. I am not an aircraft mechanic or anything close to it, but if this is really the case, why not in the V-rod?

I started running the stuff in my 175,000 mile GMC van, leaks stopped, but still burns oil from leaking valve guide seals. The temp went down in that as well, but the gauge is not in degree by number, but 1/4 increments. It would run between 1/4 and 1/2 on the guage, now it runs just below the 1/4 mark.

Fuel economy is another part of it too I would think, but, I have not really done much to compare on it.

No, I don't sell the stuff, I use it, and it works for me.

Anybody tried the Fitch fuel catalyst devices? Used those in the Sportster, and the knocking or pinging went away, and the motor seems to run much smoother. Did this after seeing a review on TV about these things reducing the unburnt fuel released in exhaust gases, as they showed a pretty good improvement. Can't remember exactly what it was as it was about 3 years back when I saw the show. Have not done anything with them in the v-rod, as it seems the engine design works healthy, have not experienced the same ping or knock as the EVO motor.

·
VRRRRRROD!
3,173 Posts
I don't think you could notice any power gains, it would be so small. I changed over to Amsoil after about 500 miles on new '03 model, definitely shifts smoother and runs more quiet. :)
I believe it is probably marginally better than the HD-Syn based on the marketing data. Is it worth the difference? I don't know...I'm just happy with Amsoil. :thumb

·
1,738 Posts
Made the change from dino to HD Syn3 and shifts are definitely smoother and less engine noise. Worth the price for those reasons alone. Any less engine wear and better mileage would be a plus. Call me paranoid, but since I do my own oil changes and I do not want to fight HD on a warranty issue I am using the expensive HD stuff with saved receipts.

Fred

Fred

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
am tempted to try the amsoil. been using hd syn3, and have no complaints. just tired of dealing with the dealer

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
Fred,
Check out this letter.

Harley-Davidson Motor Company
3700 West Juneau Ave., P.O. Box 653, Milwaukee, WI 53201 414/342-4680

January 31, 2003

Aaron Scanlon
AMSOIL Building
Superior, WI 54880

Dear Mr. Scanlon:

Thank you for your recent letter requesting information on Harley-Davidson's one-year, unlimited mileage warranty when Synthetic Lubricants are used.

Until now, the Motor Company has never supported the use of synthetic products in our vehicles because there had never been any test validations completed on the numerous formulations in HD/Buell motorcycles to determine the viability of using these products on Harley-Davidson products until now.

We have developed a specially formulated synthetic fluid called SYN3. This fluid can be used in Harley-Davidson engines, transmissions and primary chaincases. This product had been exclusively designed for Harley-Davidson and is the only synthetic product tested and certified by Harley-Davidson engineering for use on HD/Buell motorcycles.

The use of a different brand of fluid does not void the one-year, unlimited mileage warranty unless it can be confirmed that the use of such products was the cause of the failure.

Thank you, Mr. Scanlon, for taking the time to write to Harley-Davidson and allowing me to answer your questions.

Sincerely,

Lisa Sagen
Powertrain Customer Service

John

·
1,738 Posts
John: I had seen that letter before. It sounds like legal double talk to me. I am sure it was written by the HD corporate legal team to protect the MoCo's warrenty exposure while giving only limited and qualified corporate approval for the use of other brands of motor oil.

She states that HDSyn 3 is the only brand certified and approved for use in HD/Buel motorcycles, then goes on to say that the use of an other brand does not void the warrenty "unless it can be confirmed that the use of such products was the cause of the failure". Sounds more like a warning against the use of other brands, than corporate approval to me.

Who determines the cause of engine failure, and what recourse do you have if the oil is the cause? Answer: HD decides, and none if it you use something other than HD oil.

The brand of oil will not be an issue if you use HD Syn 3. Like I said I change my own oil, so I am already risking thier claiming I screwed up the oil change.

Also, I am almost out of their "1 year" warrenty and into the "extended warrenty". A territory she does not refer to.

Am I paranoid? Probably. Do I have reason to be? Most likely. Do I resent it? Definitely.

Fred:2cents

·
Premium Member
7,727 Posts
Syn3 works for me. When I switched at 600 miles I had less engine noise and 15 degree temp drop according to the dipstick. With my 20% discount it brings it right down to the Amsoil cost without shipping.

I am by no means bad mouthing Amsoil because it I didn't have a case of Syn3 in the garage and the discount that is what I would be using.

Ken

·
Registered
272 Posts
Ya, but with Amsoil you get that WARM FUZZY FEELING !

·
Biker Pilot
1,104 Posts
I was just at the local HD dealer and asked the service manager about going to syntheitic and also about Amsoil. The manager basically told me that to avoid any possible issues with the warranty, stick with HD products...period. She said that their shop is fairly easy to work with on warranty items, but that was just the safe way to go. Since I'm going to buy the extended warranty to 7 years, I'm going to go with the HD synthetic I guess.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.