Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Desert Rod
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've been giving this a lot of thought:

The American production of innovative motorcycles is lacking. Buell was the only one who saw what needed to be done, and failed multiple times.

America needs to harness the ADV, dirt bike, Enduro, supermoto, supersport, and sport touring segments. HD and Indian are not supplying these. So far, each company is releasing one ADV bike, but I am unsure they have the engineers able to supply something similar to their Euro and Japanese counterparts.

I'd like to pick up where Buell left off. Motus was on his heels after, but they folded. Arch and Confederate are out of the general public's affordability.

The question is, what did Buell do wrong? Where did he fail, so I do not?

·
Registered
194 Posts
He certainly had the vision, and the engineering to go with it. The nail in the coffin, in my opinion... was the investment by HD. This was of course needed to survive, but gave the motor Company control, which they exercised, regularly. The lack of dealer support is one example, the closing of the company another. Buell was not allowed to be a separate entity- indecently our beloved Revo was originally a buell idea- but the motor Company took over and made it bigger/heavier than buell wanted so they pulled out. (Buell was still charged development costs by HD)
All speculation of course, but had they been allowed to operate on their own.. who knows?

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
I agree Ceigenberger - and I look at it like this - If H-D had all that control over Buell they should have put their name on it or a shared name, like the H-D Buell Blast, or drop the Buell name off it. Maybe Buell didn't want that, but it would have helped - no one wants to buy a black sheep of the H-D family bike, from the back dusty corner. Also which customer at a H-D Street Couch dealer is going to walk past all those comfy 2 wheeled custom painted stereo'd couches, toss a leg over essentially a hard edge uncomfortable street racer bike with no seat for big wide Mama and say " OH Yea, This is what I REALLY need !" Very few. Kinda like selling 984 Lb. H-D Street Couches at a KTM dealer. REALLY Bad sales plan. If private MOTUS can't make it with the incredible bikes they made and an established engineering & vendor parts procurement chain I don't know who can. Iv'e said it for years, public H-D should have already had a bike in each category you mentioned Robertereyes, plus a H-D mini bike, go cart, small dirt bike hell even a H-D chain saw and H-D weed wacker but they chose to refrain and not upset the balance of their long in the tooth air head line up or the board rooms quarterly profit forecast by investing in their future. REALLY Bad Plan - now they have essentially a huge network of dealers selling almost the same type of model motorcycle to an ever smaller group of aging customers. WOOPS they should have seen that one coming. It's extremely difficult to beat KTM, the Japanese Four, even Triumph and Ducati & other Euro bikes for price, performance, dealer network etc. Low volume bikes are typically more expensive, slower and heavier. Buell did very well with H-D's help, but MOTUS should be purchased and restarted. Revive and improve the Revo V Twin design engine, then in addition to the V4 build an American MOTUS V Twin, ADV bike, Sport Touring etc. then the others later in single cylinders. Study Triumphs revival to date like using one basic 885cc triple engine in 5 or 6 different models to get it kick started. 20 years to the new Bonneville. But buy MOTUS, PLEASE ! You won't fail - I heard some owners were trying to buy it - not sure how far that got, but its the closest to a turn key American M/C manufacturer that there is. And they built Excellent machines. (y) :unsure:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts