Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did anyone see the latest edition of American Iron?

There is a rider report from one of the writers on the V-Rod, and from what was written, the impression left that I got was one of the bike having good performance, and bad rider egronomics.

The writer reports that because of the forward controls being too far out, the leg position that this person was in kept legs extended straight out, and the seating position left not many options for extended cruising. Also mentioned was the stock handlebars leaving the rider feeling the arm damage of some earlier event or over use.

Mentioned was what the bike needed, was mid-controls to aid in the leg issue, and different handlebars. Also written up were very unkind words for the stock seat.

If you get a chance to read the review, do so.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yes, I read the article last week. At first I was very angry, that they would let someone this dumb ride a motorcycle, and then let her write a magazine article. But then the village called and said they wanted their idiot back, and I just tried to forget about it. :lamer:

·
Registered
143 Posts
danafwelch,

Looks like you bought one of those collapesable bike trailer. Was about to purchase one. If it is, how do you like it????

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
If you mean the Kendon Stand-up - it is first rate. Towed the V-Rod 5000 miles last year.

·
20 Eyes in my Head
5,557 Posts
Personaly, I don't regard the magazine opinions on the test rides very highly. They are nothing more than opinions and we all got them. I noticed in some mags, Harley could build the "perfect bike" and because it is a Harley they will say it lacks this and lacks that. Then they will add somewhere in the article about how much better a Honda model is or a Suzuki..ect.

From what I hear from friends and other local area bikers that have seen or rode the V-Rod, they either love it immensely or hate it just as much. I have yet to hear an "It's alright I guess" answer on it. The funny thing is though, that all my buddies that gave me the "Why didn't you get a (Insert Softtail, Superglide, or FatBoy here)?" answer all of a sudden want to take mine for a ride this summer! LOL The same crowd used to call my Sporty a "Chick bike" (not that I gave a squat!)...and ironically wanted to trade rides for a few miles whenever we rode.

The V-Rod is like the Sportster of the new millenium. Some people/journalists just love to hate it and the owners of them just love to RIDE them! To me, the V-Rod is the bike I have been wanting Harley to make for years! The design is just perfect for my uses...weekend cruiser, two-up romantic rider, daily rider, and one helluva stress reliever. That's all I care to know. My money + My opinion=my choice to purchase a Rod! Other opinions do not apply.

Gary

·
WEB Super Freak
35 Posts
DungeonWorks said:
Personaly, I don't regard the magazine opinions on the test rides very highly. They are nothing more than opinions and we all got them. I noticed in some mags, Harley could build the "perfect bike" and because it is a Harley they will say it lacks this and lacks that. Then they will add somewhere in the article about how much better a Honda model is or a Suzuki..ect.

From what I hear from friends and other local area bikers that have seen or rode the V-Rod, they either love it immensely or hate it just as much. I have yet to hear an "It's alright I guess" answer on it. The funny thing is though, that all my buddies that gave me the "Why didn't you get a (Insert Softtail, Superglide, or FatBoy here)?" answer all of a sudden want to take mine for a ride this summer! LOL The same crowd used to call my Sporty a "Chick bike" (not that I gave a squat!)...and ironically wanted to trade rides for a few miles whenever we rode.

The V-Rod is like the Sportster of the new millenium. Some people/journalists just love to hate it and the owners of them just love to RIDE them! To me, the V-Rod is the bike I have been wanting Harley to make for years! The design is just perfect for my uses...weekend cruiser, two-up romantic rider, daily rider, and one helluva stress reliever. That's all I care to know. My money + My opinion=my choice to purchase a Rod! Other opinions do not apply.

Gary

Well spoken! I'll drink to that . :D

·
Registered
284 Posts
:hmm: American Iron Magazine. :hmm:
Still waiting for my January and Febuary issues. Subscription support for overseas is very poor, as I've had no end of problems getting my copies delivered. They must use the cheapest postal service available. Been on the phone and emailed numerous times, and they generally have to send out back issues in bulk.
However, when I do get it, it is without doubt the best American bike mag out there. :ride:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Just got my V-Rod Friday and have 600 miles on it today. Been riding street bikes for 18 years and there is only one word to describe the Rod: AWESOME!! I just love my bike and don't care what someone says about it! Has anyone else got the "It's not a real harley" yet??

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.