Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw a commercial on Spike Tv.It was from Yamaha boosting about thier Championship last year with the warrior.It really got the blood going.

This year is a different story.We have Jamie Mac to change all that. ;)

:vrod: :vrod: :vrod: :vrod:

Go Jamie :angeldev:

·
The Tin Man
2,153 Posts
Amen - We can certainly cheer Jamie and Larry on - it would be nice if HD committed to drag racing and success of the VRod in racing. There is no reason that this machine should not be the dominant Champion - Th one area that I have always felt that HD has come up way short is in supporting racing on this machine - the Screaming Eagle catalog doesn't have anything beyond a couple of exhaust and a race tuner - if HD committed to racing and high performance they could dominate - the engine is extraordinary as it comes for street - but the high performance options from the motor company are non existant - and that from someone who has been trying to race their machine as a pure breed HD. Better get off my rant - you never know Jamie - if SE ever came out with a package that could be competitve (Crate motor would be OK) maybe I would join you on that circuit - of course I would have to figue out how to get 50 lbs off of the bike - I can not figure out how you got it down to where you need to strap 120lbs on -
Kevin

·
The Tin Man
2,153 Posts
HERE IS WHAT i WOULD LIKE TO SEE IN THE SE catalog. Big bore kit with an engine build option, high performance cams, racing exhaust - 2 into 1 pro pipe, high performance - bigger throttle body. high performance heads. Just the normal stuff that is currently available for the twin cams - although I have trouble understanding why I can get Stage 2 big bore stroker for my ultra and a set of slightly louder exhaust pipes for my VRod. I am confused - the VRods have the least support of any legitanite race platform out there and what I believe is the best basic unit - I am confused by the Motor Company - big talk from the time they introduce the bike at a drag strip - call it the digger - but not an ounce of support - Sorry - that Warrior commercial gets under my skin and as a racer it just frustrates me - Willie G. you have drop the ball - walk the walk already and no more posing - give Porshe another call if you need to but for crying out loud it has been over two years and you are peddling noisy exhaust while Yamaha is winning the championship. Have some pride HD. I will now calm down and get off the soap box.
Kevin

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
I guess what confuses me about the "stock" classes in AMA Prostar is the amount of modifications allowed. Sure, Yamaha has a catalog of parts that allow you to pump up the motor but still nowhere near what last years winning bike is running. Put the two bikes side by side, no internal engine mods allowed, pipes, ECM and air cleaner mods only and who walks away with the championship?

Did some research, seems the Warrior without the "Speedstar" internals runs high 12's @ ~ 99 mph trap. With the kit some are getting very low 12's @ ~108 mph trap and there's one guy running something called a "stage 3" kit who's run an 11.33 @ 112

Seems the V-Rod and the Warrior aren't even in the same class unless you crack open the Warrior's motor. For me that makes it bogus that Yamaha can claim the championship on a bike that, without major surgery, is over 1 1/2 seconds slower than a box stock V-Rod.

Sorry for the rant but when the sanctioning bodies have their heads so far up their ass that they allow heavily modified "one offs" to compete in supposed "stock" classes I lose interest in following the series.

·
The Tin Man
2,153 Posts
It is not a stock class at all vinny -hot rod cruiser allows allot of modification - barely street legal - almost like a prostreet setup - no slicks, no willie bars - weight limit. It is an expensive class to run as it is heads up and you are allowed to modify so that these are truly race bikes - typically running racing gas and not very practical for street use - but they do resemble it. If the rules were more constrained they would probably have more competitors though, but there are always et classes. Even the VRod class in the AHDRA is tough to compete in because the rules allow for very radical modifications in a similar way - that why I avoid the class - and I was the first one to sign up for it - but can not reasonably keep up - very high commitment of time and money to run in those circles. My beef is that HD doesn't realy provide any high performance options for the VRod at all and provides tons of support for the rest of the line up. Oh well - I already said that. Does anyone else have interest in high performance parts from HD?
Kevin

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Slow Kevin,I know it's not a stock class.But the average joe out there watching the commercials don't know that.
I would give it time for HD to make HP parts for us.It's always the aftermarket that starts the hop-ups.Pro stock bike had a good year in 03.The v-rod is gonna have a good year in 04.
So will this forum.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
vrodvinny said:
Slow Kevin,I know it's not a stock class.But the average joe out there watching the commercials don't know that.
That was my point exactly. I feel your frustration and hopefully Harley will answer, possibly after a good year from Jamie and others.

·
Banned
12,582 Posts
I think MoCo is more Involved then you Think!I would be Willing to Bet that the Factory will be supporting More and More Race efforts as the Popularity of the V-rod continues!The motor can Make and Take Double the HP from the Factory!There is so much potential in this motor Specially when it comes to forced induction!I'm fairly confident with the Right Parts=$ ;) A race V-rod Motor with Boost and a Little Nitrous should make 300-400rwhp! :twisted: Yamaha and the Rest of The Wanna B's better wake up!The Harley Davidson Revolution will be Taking Over the Race Tracks! :kaz:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts