Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new here but not to bike or Harley. I've been riding on and off for almost 20 years now and I stop riding couple of years ago when I lost a good friend in freak accident with a deer. Well I got the etch again and looking at a New 2009 DX with ABS, but I also just notice the new 2011 has dropped in price (You probably could see where I'm heading with this already). I got the a deal for 13,300+fees for a new 2009 w ABS. Should I take advantage or is this a so so deal? The 2011 is newer but @ 14,699+paint 14,999+ABS 800= about 15,800 plus other stuff. Since the 2011 just came out I am think the dealer wont discount the bike. Is 2500 saving enough to over look the 2 year difference? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
I would say go with the 2009 new bike with ABS, I have 2008 with ABS and love it. The $2500.00 more for 2 years newer is no big deal---When and if you sell I dont think you will recover the $2500.00 Good Luck---Have fun

·
Registered
186 Posts
Do you care about getting one of the new paint colors, or do you just want black? Been hearing that that orange looks really nice in person.

New one has slipper clutch, 09 doesn't.

Do you think you will ever sell or trade in the bike? If so, 2011 should get more bucks than 2009 when you go to sell or trade it.

Sales tax, and then property tax every year will be less on the 09. Insurance also.

It's a 2011 has a better ring to it than it's an 09, when the multitudes ask you about it. So I just tell them mine's new and don't tell them the year. haha

I think it was 02man that had a thread or a website that listed what all the changes for the new model year are.

That sounds like a good deal on the new 09 and I sure like mine, but consider the above.

Ask them to knock off the fees on the 09. Expect they're wanting to get it off the floor.

Welcome to the forum, and to the finest bike you've ever ridden.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
09-11 are unchanged as far as I know. All V-Rods have had slipper clutches since 2008 by the way. I say go for the best price. It's a luxury purchase also, so considering resale etc is almost a moot point. If you're very sensitive to resale value then buying an expensive new motorcycle is probably not advisable from a financial perspective at all. It's going to turn out as a $$$ loss no matter what.

It buy the 09 if it was me and I'd really put the screws to them on discounting the price.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I would say go to the 2011. US 2500.00 is only a 15% difference in price try really hard with dealer for a better price, IMHO price diff. should be at least 20%, that means US 12640.00 for the 2009

·
Premium Member
10,800 Posts
09. Less is better. These things depreciate so quickly, it is nuts. We all got spoiled by Harley resale value. It is now normal, as opposed to what it was. Cheaper is better for toys - unless something is so new and exciting you gotta have it now, get the used or older one. Joe

·
AKA:KrammitTheFrodge
36 Posts
you'll still have warranty with the 09 if it's new as well. got my 09 leftover for US$13,500 so if you're getting offered 13,300 that's awesome. i called several other dealerships near my home to get the $13,500 matched or beaten. every single one of them told me "we can't touch that price. if you have it in writing, hog-tie them till they give you the bike before they figure out how much money they're losing". dealer cost from harley on an 09 DX was $13,700, FYI.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you guys for your response. I think there is no mechanical between 09 and 11. The only difference is that 09 has shinny black with orange strips and 11 has the flat black with orange strips.

I originally started looking for a used one but since there not that much difference, I decided to go with new one becasue of the price. Now I just found out about the price reduction on 2011 so I am thinking again.

·
Registered
837 Posts
First off, look around BEFORE you buy. ESPECIALLY this time of the year, when everyones bikes goes up for sale.

My advice, buy the 09 and take the extra 2 grand and spend it on upgrades,

THERE IS NO DIFF BETWEEN THE BIKES BUT PRICE AND PAINT.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts