Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two topics: Front wheel swap and Greater rake of the earlier models.

So I've been looking around and am really bent on getting a slotted disc wheel up front to replace my factory laced wheel. btw, I have an '09 AW w/ ABS.

So I know in '08 they swapped to the metric axle from the standard 1".

What I'm curious though, is if I can get my hands on an '07 AW wheel w/ABS, can't I just get the entire wheel/hub/bearing/rotors assembly, take mine off and bolt this one right up? I mean aren't all fork sliders universal across all years ('02-'11)? If the sliders are universal fitment, and providing ABS was offered in '07 on the AW's, why can't I just swap the entire wheel assembly and run the 1" axle up front instead of gutting the wheel and going through the pain of buying new hubs and bearings?

...so that's the first question...

Secondly, I've read that the rake on the earlier models is different than that of the newer ones (read: mine). I want to go with a chrome triple tree anyway, and really like the look of the slightly longer rake of the earlier models. What I am getting conflicting info on however, is how that rake is accomplished. Is the extra rake due to a greater offset in the top and bottom of the triple, or is the actual neck on the frame welded in at a different angle on the earlier ones?

Can anyone shed some light on each of these? Anything is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
... if I can get my hands on an '07 AW wheel w/ABS, can't I just get the entire wheel/hub/bearing/rotors assembly, take mine off and bolt this one right up?

.... Is the extra rake due to a greater offset in the top and bottom of the triple, or is the actual neck on the frame welded in at a different angle on the earlier ones? ...
Concerning the wheel swap; ABS started in 2008 not 2007. So any 2008 and newer wheel should swap in OK.

Concerning the fork tube rake; the steering tube angle is the same on all VRSC models (= 34°) except the VRSCR (= 30°). The triple clamps on the 2002 to 2006 VRSCA added 4° resulting in a fork tube angle of 38°. This gave a trail = 3.9". All the later models starting with the 2006 VRSCSE2 have triple clamps that add 2° resulting in a fork tube angle of 36°. This increased trail to 4.5". BTW, the VRSCR with 30° steering tube and 2° trees has a fork tube angle of 32° and a trail of 4.3".

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think my head just exploded a little bit. I had to sit here and draw a diagram so I could figure out how the trail was being decreased, yet the rake increasing because it didn't make sense to me at first.

...but after drawing it, I realized that that 4° tree rake was actually bringing the trail closer to the true steering axis. Tricky for sure.

So is the 3.9" trail, compared to the 4.5" trail a noticeable difference on high-speed stability and slow-speed turning radius and maneuverability?

This is my first bike, so I don't know if that's a noticeable change or something I wouldn't even be able to tell.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
oh and that completely sucks that ABS was not offered until '08 because if I'm not mistaken, the AW switched to a laced wheel in '08, making '07 the only year of the AW (and thus Brembo equipped) with slotted disc front wheel. Balls!

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
... So is the 3.9" trail, compared to the 4.5" trail a noticeable difference on high-speed stability and slow-speed turning radius and maneuverability? ...
It does make a difference especially with a 240 rear tire. That’s why the 2006 VRSCSE2 with the 240 tire was the first to see this triple tree change. The intent was to increase trail for improved high speed stability.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
makes sense. Would you then recommend the 180 guys that decide to do the 240 (or larger) conversions to also swap out the tree with an '07+ tree?

I guess the look of the additional rake is something I'll just enjoy in pictures.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
you could go with the slotted wheels off an '08 or newer DX. It will need stripped and polished or chromed though.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah and I just missed out on the one that went for $125 complete with tire, rotors, hubs, bearings, etc.

Damn did that suck to miss that one.

The long-term goal is to get a complete set (front and rear) of the slotted disc to then send out for chroming.

·
Bladerunner
1,948 Posts
yeah and I just missed out on the one that went for $125 complete with tire, rotors, hubs, bearings, etc.

Damn did that suck to miss that one.

The long-term goal is to get a complete set (front and rear) of the slotted disc to then send out for chroming.
Buy mine. ;)

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
... Would you then recommend the 180 guys that decide to do the 240 (or larger) conversions to also swap out the tree with an '07+ tree? ...
I wouldn’t recommend increasing the width of the rear tire beyond 200 but that’s just personal preference. For those that do increase to 240 or wider on an early model VRSC, the trail should be increased and the triple clamp change is the easiest way to do it.

This isn’t the usual practice by those that do this wide tire modification though. Probably because of the added cost and/or lack of information on the benefits of increased trail.

·
Registered
353 Posts
That small of a degree does not make a difference..I have a 06A that had a 240 swap with a stock 06 swingarm and went 140+mph with no change in stability...and turns are a little more leaning involved with the 240 but nothing u can't get used to in 10 min...and now I have a 08 up rear end swap with the little longer swingarm and still did not notice any change in the way the bike tracks...just my experience..

·
Registered
120 Posts
Don't believe anyone who says the vrod aw is unstable or hard to manuver if you have the older plus 4 degree rake....because i did just that. I bought a complete harley 02 -06 chrome triple tree set and put them on my 07 AW. I also havea 260 rear tire. The bike looks way cooler withe the longer rake,and handles just the same at all speeds (stable).

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
Bit confused here, what are y'all calling trail?
Having a few mm more or less trail won't noticeably change stability. I was just saying that increased trail improves high speed stability and that's why the trees were changed in 2006 for the VRSCSE2.

I know many have done the switch to a 240 tire without changing the trees and claim there's no problem but this doesn’t really prove anything. Simple frame geometry would say that the increased trail should help.

The attached picture shows how trail is measured. The number HD uses in the model specifications is what's shown here as "false trail". Trail is the length of the lever arm that the tire contact patch has on the steering axis. As trail increases the "self centering" force on the wheel increases as does the effort it takes to steer the wheel off center.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Well since I've topped my bike out more times than wrinkles on a 80year old with a 240 on with no prob....I'm not worried about it

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
yeah sorry guys, I don't think the exercise was to say anyone was doing anything wrong, but more-so to find out what the differences were between the older and newer trees and how it would effect any of the bikes geometry (for better or worse).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts