Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody every try to mount aluminum panniers to hd facotry saddle bag mounts for the vrod ? id be interested in doing this if anyboyd had an success with it

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Do you mean something like Jesse Panniers or those from Micatech?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah thats exactly what i mean

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Very practical, easy to mount , but ugly as sin. It will go well with a "spanish hooker look" 'stitch riding gear..

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Those things are awfully tall for our bikes, unless it's an F with it's low pipes. I'v sized up some Hepco and Becker 30 liter junior bags on an R and think they would fit the bike ok. Have you looked at those?

·
Premium Member
10,801 Posts
Hey, What's wrong with Spanish hookers? They look great 'stiched up! love my hi-viz Darien, too!

·
EXCELSIOR
8,460 Posts
I've been involved in the "Great Saddlebag Hunt" since the beginning and have yet to find the perfect "hard bag"
I have Jesse on my V-Strom 1000 and while they're nicely made and rugged, they're also heavy, expensive and the openings are narrow.
Interesting idea though.
I want something practical for daily use. I made the mistake of buying a used set of the HD "bubble bags". Glad I didn't spend for new. They're basically "Compact Cases" complete with the chromed lids. They don't hold anything, the lids only open half way so even if they had some room you couldn't put anything in them that isn't soft and comforming, like your rain gear.
The factory HD brackets are heavy duty though so notion is not bad.
Have you thought of small Pelican cases?
For traveling I've been most satisfied with some Cortech throwovers. They're light, flexible, expanable and when you get to the end of the road come off easy and have sewn on carry handles.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
I'm liking the "F" bags. I could make em hold more if I got rid of the not used shock notch (I have them installed out from the body, to clear the tourpak). They are essentially watertight, and the floppy lids actually work, and get out of the way of the tourpak.

I have a need for the tourpak, of course:

·
EXCELSIOR
8,460 Posts
Yo Daniii,
I'm I to understand that the "F" bags bolt up to the other standard brackets. For some reason I could see your photos yesterday but not today, Hmmmmmm......oh well
The openings looked sort of narrow.
Actually I'm now thinking that I could use a couple Pelican boxes, make some QD pins and use the factory HD brackets. I'll have to look at the space, probably not the 1550's but a little smaller.
Alot of the Adventure types use them and you can get them with or witout foam filling.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
I've been involved in the "Great Saddlebag Hunt" since the beginning and have yet to find the perfect "hard bag"
I have Jesse on my V-Strom 1000 and while they're nicely made and rugged, they're also heavy, expensive and the openings are narrow.
Interesting idea though.
I want something practical for daily use. I made the mistake of buying a used set of the HD "bubble bags". Glad I didn't spend for new. They're basically "Compact Cases" complete with the chromed lids. They don't hold anything, the lids only open half way so even if they had some room you couldn't put anything in them that isn't soft and comforming, like your rain gear.
The factory HD brackets are heavy duty though so notion is not bad.
Have you thought of small Pelican cases?
For traveling I've been most satisfied with some Cortech throwovers. They're light, flexible, expanable and when you get to the end of the road come off easy and have sewn on carry handles.
Hmmm, I have the same VRSCA hard bags and like them. The bracket, however, are far too heavy so I am going to pay a friend to bend up a steel backing plate to allow me to hang them from the cordura Sport Saddlebag "weldment" (mounting bracket). The bags themselves are light, and they hold a smidge more than my BMW City Cases, plenty for a five day road trip with a tank bag. I like the lids actually, and if I have any complaint about them at all, it is that the irregular shape won't accommodate my 13 inch MacBook. Other than that, they work great. I had to create a small dimple in the right bag to keep it from touching the pipe, and a tech friend had to modify the stock brackets to mount up to the "keep ons" from my Sport Saddlebags, allowing them to be dismounted in a few minutes.
Were I to do it again, I would probably try to mount up some Hepco and Becker 30 liter Junior bags on the Sport Saddlebag "keep ons" using Hepco and Becker's generic saddlebag bracket. I have sized them up and they would work. The bags are basically an update of those wonderful old Krauser Star saddlebags found on 1970's and very early '80's vintage BMW twins. High quality stuff and very durable with bottom hinged lids that open fully, and nice latches and handles that allow you to take the bag with you into the motel room. I may still go this route in the future because I could swap them around to my BMW's if necessary.

·
George
5,411 Posts
Yo Daniii,
I'm I to understand that the "F" bags bolt up to the other standard brackets. For some reason I could see your photos yesterday but not today, Hmmmmmm......oh well
The openings looked sort of narrow.
Actually I'm now thinking that I could use a couple Pelican boxes, make some QD pins and use the factory HD brackets. I'll have to look at the space, probably not the 1550's but a little smaller.
Alot of the Adventure types use them and you can get them with or witout foam filling.
Rod... I have a couple 1500s. I'll hold them up next to the bike for a look-see..

These look way cooler!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts