Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 Anniversary edition. Pulled alternator cover off to fix wire leak. However, the wire and the area that it goes through the cover is different from others I’ve seen. See attached photo.

Used this video as reference. Was going to do the o ring fix.

I’ve only seen 1 other photo that is similar to mine from another owner with the same model.

Does anyone know if the cover and wire is done that way for my model and year

Attachments

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
I have an 03 Anniversary edition. Pulled alternator cover off to fix wire leak. However, the wire and the area that it goes through the cover is different from others I’ve seen. See attached photo.

Used this video as reference. Was going to do the o ring fix.

I’ve only seen 1 other photo that is similar to mine from another owner with the same model.

Does anyone know if the cover and wire is done that way for my model and year
Yes, the 2002 and 2003 were like that. In 2004 they modified them so that the case mating surface was complete and the cable passed through a hole.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I had a feeling that was the case. Thank you for confirming.
Unless my eyes are missing something, you can replace that stator cover with a newer style one (like Coastrider said) as they have a solid hole through them. You might have to replace the stator coil as well due to wiring differences (looks like yours has a rubber "block" for the grommet). The newer ones have a rubber cork looking end that goes through the hole. Maybe a winter project for you........I'd definitely look into it as even the newer ones tend to leak over time (you can use rubber o-rings to really seal it up though).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unless my eyes are missing something, you can replace that stator cover with a newer style one (like Coastrider said) as they have a solid hole through them. You might have to replace the stator coil as well due to wiring differences (looks like yours has a rubber "block" for the grommet). The newer ones have a rubber cork looking end that goes through the hole. Maybe a winter project for you........I'd definitely look into it as even the newer ones tend to leak over time (you can use rubber o-rings to really seal it up though).
So I ended up adding RTV Sealant on the edge of the rubber block for the grommet. That has fixed the leak from the wire.

I replaced the gasket and cleaned the cover. before reinstalling. However, there still is a leak coming from the bottom bolt #14. The leak has slowed, but still there.

The wire leak is fixed, now I just need to find out the issue with the cover near bolt#14.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Like I said, consider "upgrading" to the newer cover this winter. I have tons of hands on experience with said cover, world's better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts