Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to alter my limiter from 10 to 11 just for this weekend as i cant get sprockets in time. Can I do this with the super tuner WITHOUT messing up the tune up?? Need to know urgently please.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
I need to alter my limiter from 10 to 11 just for this weekend as i cant get sprockets in time. Can I do this with the super tuner WITHOUT messing up the tune up?? Need to know urgently please.
yes go to the tuning constants and set it to what ever you want.. i don`t know what you have done to your motor but if stock the thing will have no power at 11000 rpm.i am not sure if a stock motor will even hang together long at 11000rpm.. never ran one that high because i am very cautious.. our built motor only gets run to 9500rpm with the limiter set at 10125rpm.. good luck and let us know if it hangs together at that rpm...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks lbrown. i will only be running it out past 10k for the last 100 or so feet as it has standard gearing and is hitting the limiter in that last little bit and i cant get sprockets in time for this weekend. I will be shifting at 9k as the power tops out at 9200. I wont be making many passes either probably 3-5.

·
JESUS IS LORD
469 Posts
:2cents:
Thanks lbrown. i will only be running it out past 10k for the last 100 or so feet as it has standard gearing and is hitting the limiter in that last little bit and i cant get sprockets in time for this weekend. I will be shifting at 9k as the power tops out at 9200. I wont be making many passes either probably 3-5.
I would just set it to 10300 and roll off alittle at the mph cone.
Just my :2cents:

Rich V

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
:2cents:

I would just set it to 10300 and roll off alittle at the mph cone.
Just my :2cents:

Rich V
:them:

There's nothing to be had going to high.....except for increasing the likelyhood that a valve will float etc.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Rich and Pat:

I don't think Tassie Phantom and Ibrown are talking about a VRXSE Destroyer.

It seems that the question is for a stock slightly modified V-Rod.

If that is true they posted in the wrong section and may end up with incorrect information as a result.

Rich, In this regard I am not sure I would be comfortable that the stock valve springs would accomodate an additional 900-1,100 rpm increase in the rev limiter. (no internal springs).

Regards

Jerry

·
Too much fun
138 Posts
I have a stock VRXSE with a stock download (no map or anything changed), and a rev limit set at 11,200rpm...shift points on tach set at 10900/10800/10800/10800...I ran the hell out of it this weekend and took 1st in Super Gas. I have a total of 86 passes on it...I change the oil every 25-30 passes with SYNTHETIC LUCAS 20W-50 oil, I'll be changing the plugs every 100 passes, and when I race it I make sure that its up to 190 degrees. I have a stand alone water temp gauge (not hooked inline with the ECM) and I have found that at that temp I won't hit the early limiter.

FOLLOW THE BOOKS PROCEDURES, I have because that's what Harley Davidson designed and specified for that motor. Do your heat cycling...bring it up to specified operating temp...there's a reason for them to specify things in the book.

·
Insane inda membrane
13,002 Posts
:them:

There's nothing to be had going to high.....except for increasing the likelyhood that a valve will float etc.

·
Too much fun
138 Posts
So VRod I FL are you saying that in a Destroyer application, you would be comfortable? Just wondering...

And LL Kool K, please tell me about your experience with this...just trying to learn from others...from what I see it seems as though you had a catastrophic failure, or knew someone that had one.

·
Insane inda membrane
13,002 Posts
And LL Kool K, please tell me about your experience with this...just trying to learn from others...from what I see it seems as though you had a catastrophic failure, or knew someone that had one.
My understanding from an engine builder when I was planning on building my 1302, is that you will need new springs (such as Ferrea) and titanium keepers to safely turn 10K and maintain reliability.

11K with a stock motor is asking for trouble. Seeing as the power drops off somewhere around 9K, turning these types of rpm isn't going to be much good and keep durability.

But hey, it's not my motor.

·
Too much fun
138 Posts
Well thanks for the tip...guess I need to back it down until I can get some new guts for the heads. Any idea where I can find titanium keepers and Ferrea springs?

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
Well thanks for the tip...guess I need to back it down until I can get some new guts for the heads. Any idea where I can find titanium keepers and Ferrea springs?
There are better alternatives to the OEM valve springs.

Send either VR28 or Big Rich from here on the Forum a PM. Either one can sell you valve springs that won't suffer from fatigue like the Ferrea valve springs that come stock with the Destroyer heads.

VR28 sells these and I'm certain Big Rich sells something similar.

This was a post by VR28 a while back.

" New micropolished Destroyer valve springs. $160. for a set of 8. We have been using these springs for 3 years in many AHDRA V Rods and Destroyers, have not seen one break yet (unlike the OEM springs). "

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Guys
i was talking about my destroyer. All is good we went 10.0 launching at 7500 shifting at 9k as max power produced at 9200rpm, top end rev limiter was set at 11k just to get it to the finish line without hitting the 10 k limiter. Have new front and rear sprockets on way to give longer legs which will see it topping out around the 92oo rpm mark at the line. Just for the record i change my oil every 8-10 passes usually every meeting if i go rounds on every bike i have raced. Its cheap insurance.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
So VRod I FL are you saying that in a Destroyer application, you would be comfortable? Just wondering...

For a Destroyer I personally agree with your prior post.

However, I will defer to Big Rich or Lou (VR 28) both have more seat time on a Destroyer than John Wayne does on his horse.

Tassie Phantom has since clarified that he was talking about a Destroyer so I am glad he was sucessful this weekend now I can relax.

Regards

Jerry

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
excuse me i did screw up.. i thought he was talking about a stock v-rod not a destroyer,, ingore what i said .. i didn`t notice that this was the destroyer section.. and the above advice about changing the oil often is cheap insurance.. we change our oil about every other time we go to the track with our v-rod.. back when i was racing my kawasaki drag bike in the idba that bike got fresh oil every time it went to the track..

·
Too much fun
138 Posts
There are better alternatives to the OEM valve springs.

Send either VR28 or Big Rich from here on the Forum a PM. Either one can sell you valve springs that won't suffer from fatigue like the Ferrea valve springs that come stock with the Destroyer heads.

VR28 sells these and I'm certain Big Rich sells something similar.

This was a post by VR28 a while back.

" New micropolished Destroyer valve springs. $160. for a set of 8. We have been using these springs for 3 years in many AHDRA V Rods and Destroyers, have not seen one break yet (unlike the OEM springs). "

Ok, so Ferrea valve springs are stock in VRXSE heads? A V&H tech that I spoke to said that Ferrea springs are not strong enough to handle the (I think its .565") lift of VRXSE stock cams, and that the stock springs are almost under coil bind, so getting stronger ones would mean getting dual springs and making mods to accomodate the dual spring application. I'm confused

·
Noel
4,585 Posts
Some body slap me :D :stooge:

Boy I missed this place! lol

How are we all and Hi Shane!:vrodforu:
Well looked what the cat dragged in!!
Nice to see you posting, Spring in OZ! time to go racing soon for you guys!!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts