Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:vrod: Hi everyone, new to V-Rodding and new to biking period! I've been searching for the right bike for two years now. I've gone through thoughts of getting a Wide Glide, next the Fatboy and then the Heritage Classic. Just couldn't make up my mind....and now I know why. The V-Rod was waiting patiently for me, waiting to hook me and reel me in. I liked the V-Rod all along but kept thinking about that 3.7 gas tank. So I pushed the Rod into the back of my mind. All of a sudden it hit me, it was the bike for me and after some quick and extensive research all in a few days...I called my salesman again and said let's order. I became so passionate about it, more than all of the other bikes put together. I stopped in today to check the new colors out and I'm going out on Saturday to see him to order.

I read a reply to BeerMe that said that all it takes is one ride. I haven't even ridden the V-Rod yet and I'm in love with it already. This is one awesome bike and I give the V-Rod credit for stirring me up. Sounds crazy, I've never really ridden except on the back of friends bikes, never had a bike of my own but I'm just drawn to this bike. I'm Getting a 2005 model delivered in August so I'll have time to take the safety course and maybe buy an old bike to learn on (don't want to drop this baby). Hope to get to know all of you better in the future. :cheers:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. I am patient, to a fault. Don't get me wrong, it's driving me crazy but it works out better financially anyway. Can't wait to at least get it ordered (my dealer is a pre-sale dealer, only bike in stock are used and none are V-Rods). I'll spend the summer learning so I can whiz the drivers test.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm trying to decide on pipes now and I want to put a Sundowner seat on it since the OEM seat supposedly isn't that comfortable. Then come the wheels, bags and a windshield. After that, who knows what will be next.

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
Welcome to the gang. You might consider the 16ga pipes, SE air filter and factory flash. It'll avoid all the Race Tuner vs. PCM vs. whatever, tuning, and proper map drama. Plus it assures the warranty remains valid. There may be some slightly faster or louder combinations, but thats what I have and I like it a lot. The Sundowner is a must, and I like the touring windshield (lowers are another option, and work well, but there are visual issues). On the bags, there are closure issues (velcro!) with the soft factory leather bags, but they are the most abuse resistant. Keep checking the options there, new stuff keeps turning up.

·
Live Free or Die
938 Posts
Welcome! The V-Rod doesn't seem to want to drop -- like so many others, so don't worry. This baby has a very low center of gravity and it's easy to keep between your legs during the slow moving stuff!

It sucks to have to wait, why not take on a reduced price '03 and send it out for a fancy paint job...?

·
Registered
503 Posts
I agree with Orest Ohar... grab a used one someone put a bunch of money in...and get a deal instead of putting the stealers kids thru college

welcome.. good luck

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info on the pipes, filter and flash. I'll jot them down for future reference.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's good to know, I've been told that it does have the low center of gravity, it's nice to have it confirmed from experienced riders. As far as the used 03's....I have thought of that but there aren't too many around here right now. Besides, something makes me want to have my own original bike that I can make my own changes to. Some of them have had so much put on them and they want too much $$. Thanks for the info, hope I can do the same someday for a new rider.

·
Registered
81 Posts
from the black on black crowd (vrscb 04) welcome. Take the MSF class. Buy a second bike to get good on. add the stuff you need first (seat windshield etc)..then move on the rest...(muffler, engine mods, handlebars, paint, chrome, extra gas tank, scratch that,etc etc etc ) Im close to the 1000 mile mark in just a few days and it just keeps getting better.....

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Welcome to the forum and the v-rod family Mike.

Max

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the welcome. Wow...1,000 miles in a few days...that's a lot of riding. Something to look forward to. As far as the second bike, I had a chance on a used Honda Shadow, 1987 with 14,000 miles on it for $1,200 but it was gone in no time. Somehow I wouldn't mind dropping a Honda but to do that to a V-Rod...sinful. That would have been the perfect learner bike, not too many miles and not too expensive. The guy that had it works on bikes and is going to look for another.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Max, I feel really comfortable in this forum. So far everyone is nice and willing to share their knowledge and experiences. Too bad I don't have more to give back at this time, but there's always the future.

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
welcome to the forum. you have plenty of time to take the class and drop a honda ;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts