Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
good morning all. i have a question about oil and engine cooling.i know i should be running full syn. oil, i just picked the bike up from the dealer the other day and to be quite honest, i don't know if i am or not. i was giving some neighborhood kids rides around the block the other day. never over second gear and never over 3k. by the third mile, the bike was running hot. not overheating, but you could tell it was running hotter than it wanted to be. the cooling system is full and bubble free and the oil level is right where it should be. my question is, will dino. oil actually cause the revo. to run that hot or do you think i have a cooling sys. issue? thanks in advance for any replies. JEFF

·
The Hawk
3,906 Posts
These bikes will run warmer at low speeds because you are not moving much air through the radiator. Did the fans kick on? On my 2003 the fans come on at 219 degrees and go off at 208 degrees, but never come on at hiway speeds, only when in heavy, slow traffic with lots of stoplights.

Mike

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
good morning all. i have a question about oil and engine cooling.i know i should be running full syn. oil, i just picked the bike up from the dealer the other day and to be quite honest, i don't know if i am or not. i was giving some neighborhood kids rides around the block the other day. never over second gear and never over 3k. by the third mile, the bike was running hot. not overheating, but you could tell it was running hotter than it wanted to be. the cooling system is full and bubble free and the oil level is right where it should be. my question is, will dino. oil actually cause the revo. to run that hot or do you think i have a cooling sys. issue? thanks in advance for any replies. JEFF
No.Dino oil will not cause the engine to overheat.There are a few factors that will make an engine overheat.Synthetic oil does a better job at reducing friction and it dissipates heat more efficiently than Dino.
W the Amsoil,the reduction in heat is about 7°f on my 1250.Not enough to make a difference if there was a problem with it running hot.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
If you are new to Vrods there are times when the engine seems to be very hot and you're sitting in a tub of hot air. This engine is liquid cooled and the temp is controlled by a dedicated system to keep it from overheating.

Having said all this, things have to be working correctly. Did the fans come on? They don't till they need to pull air through the radiator. The only thing oil will do with overheating is the lack of it but by then you have lack of lubrication which is much worse for engine parts.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Maybe the fans were running and blowing the hot air on you. When I get stuck in traffic, I get blow dried and cooked from the fans

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replies guys. the fans were coming on. they were cycling on and off quite regularly. what has me concerned is that when it got "hot" it was to the point that the valves started clattering a bit and it was running kind of poorly. also, if i run 25 miles or so at highway speeds(85/90 mph) when i get off at my exit and stop at a light it is doing the same thing. it is killing me because when it is running just a few degrees cooler it runs so good i almost can't stand it. almost. then again, my only point of reference is my old suzuki which only had about 9:1 comp. and the fans only came on occasionally. i'm going to go with mobil 1 syn. as soon as i can( not enough patience to wait for amsoil) and i'm also going to flush the cooling system and go back with pre-mixed prestone with purple heat in it. if that doesn't do it, my next step is the thermostat.:banghead:

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
If you just got it from the dealer, then go back to the dealer with your concerns. Don't start doing things just yet as the dealer might blame you!

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
thanks for the replies guys. the fans were coming on. they were cycling on and off quite regularly. what has me concerned is that when it got "hot" it was to the point that the valves started clattering a bit and it was running kind of poorly. also, if i run 25 miles or so at highway speeds(85/90 mph) when i get off at my exit and stop at a light it is doing the same thing. it is killing me because when it is running just a few degrees cooler it runs so good i almost can't stand it. almost. then again, my only point of reference is my old suzuki which only had about 9:1 comp. and the fans only came on occasionally. i'm going to go with mobil 1 syn. as soon as i can( not enough patience to wait for amsoil) and i'm also going to flush the cooling system and go back with pre-mixed prestone with purple heat in it. if that doesn't do it, my next step is the thermostat.:banghead:
Call Ken. He got my Amsoil to me in less than two days. That was shipped from WI to Florida! I was amazed.

Secondly, you can't beat the stock coolant except for price. Peak Global Lifetime is exactly the same as Harley labeled but is available at NAPA auto parts for much less. It is a lifetime anti-freeze no matter what the owner's manual says but if you feel that you must change it, go with Peak Global Lifetime 50/50.

·
HD black & orange
57 Posts
I had this same problem when i first got my Vrod,, it took 2 tries, but figured it out.. All that was needed was to bleed the coolant system. Used the manual and it worked out great. 100 degree weather in the past summer and only while stopped in traffic after about 45 seconds does the fan come on. Added an temp gauge dip stick and rarely go over 185 degrees.. In addition the first hot summer of usage ,(2005) i continually sensed a smell of hot coolant while stopped at lights etc.. grown accustomed to it now. I never lost coolant,. make sure the dip tube in coolant reservoir is not cracked and don't bother overfilling coolant level, it will just push it out when very hot. be sure to adjust level of coolant on level ground with something under your kickstand. And follow bleeding procedure in manual, be sure engine is hot thermostat open.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
this is a great forum, you guys kick a$$. thanks again for all the help. who is ken?

·
The Massive Pr1ck
2,633 Posts
Just got back from the dyno where we did about 100 pulls. We had just one big fan in front of the bike. I thought for sure the thing would overheat and watched the temp datalog closely.

What I learned:

The fans weren't kicking on untill temp went well over 200.
Temps in the cooling system regularly reached 228 without overheating.
The fans were more than capable of keeping up with the cooling needs, even pulling power.
If the system is working correctly, this bike is not going to overheat.
When the fans were cycling on and off, temps never went below 205.

I have no idea why, but Harley set this system up to run pretty hot. As long as you don't get an overheat light and your fans are cycling off and on, I wouldn't worry about it. When I had the water pump bolt shaft issue, the fans would come on and not turn off, and I would get a temp light.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
The engine temps are high for fuel efficiency.Automobile engines run well over 200°f too.
High cooling temps were hard for me to grip way back when unleaded fuel was introduced.Information of how things work back then was hard to come by.It took a while,but I did find seminars to attend that enlightened me on the theory of operation.
The team of engineers that put the Revo together really did a great job in almost every area of the engine.Just the similar metals alone that are used is one of the great things about this engine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts