Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody thought about running just pure alcohol.Alcohol runs dooler,won't foul out the plugs as easy being to rich,unless ungodly rich.It's a cleaner burn,will give some extra ponies.We all have the compression to run it,11.3:1.The only thing I can think of being negative is the rubber in the fuel system
any thoughts:confused:

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
You'd have to tune for that setup specifically to get the most hp, am I wrong? Will it eat away at other materials besides rubber? If so. The V-Rod does not have a passenger seat to put the laptop and switch programs so easily and no onboard system for on the fly changes. With the tank being so small driving it to the track, racing it, then coming back home may seem difficult depending on the distances.

You ARE a horsepower junkie:icon_twis :cool: !

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You will have to tune it for the alcohol.As for a laptop and fuel,you throw that in your buddies vehicle,until you get to the track.I nevre go to the track without a way to get home in case something breaks.My track is only 20miles away I can get there make some runs,and still have enough to get home.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Alcohol is thinner. You will need to change your oil much more often
Fuel economy suffers also.
At least this is true with dual fuel vehicles(I have two and it states this in both manuals)
Just my 2 cents.
BobT

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was talking to a guy at work that raced Sprint cars a couple of years ago.He said that You burn almost twice as much as gasoline.I would more than likey have to go to bigger injectors,and bigger fuel pump.But,he said that he really doesn't know the specs on the v-rod fuel system.He told me to call Kinsler fuel injection(more for Sprint cars)and they could help me out or refer me to someone.I guess they are good buddies.
He said that the rubber will swell after time.Also I need to put topoil in the alcohol,because the alcohol corrodes aluminum(fittings,head).
He said it took 2 weekends of racing to be able to read the plugs,the combustion is that clean.since there is no petroleum or chemicals in it like gasoline.Heck,he oughta know he has 2 championships and rookie of the yr.
He said around here in my area alcohol is going for $2 a gallon.

·
Twisted!!!!!!!
1,471 Posts
I'm really not much of a drag racing fan. My track is much farther than 20 miles but I have several pickup trucks at my disposal and a nice ramp for the four wheelers. If it is easy to try I would go to the track to drag race. Truth is I'd rather use alcohol for the occasional ass street racer with a Jap who is the trash talker (we all know this guy, right? There's one everywhere), go home load the map and the alcohol and maybe kick his ass (maybe get the 'busa), take his shitty $100 with a hard laugh then go have a nice meal on the aholes account. THAT is fun for me.:2cents My ass getting whipped? No problem! "It's a Harley" they'll say. Truth is they usually hurt much more in the pocket and particularly if it is a "gate" (HD nickname) that kicks their ass. To me almost always a win win situation when street racing HD. They never see it coming. I know I never expected it even on the litlle 600cc Japs I've had and still love.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts