Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live on the Detroit boarder sometimes when I try to start my bike it does not see the FOB.Even if I try to punch in the code the display clears and it goes back into alarm.Today It happened twice and both times I noticed a Peditor Drone over head.I can start the bike once the drone gets about 10km out.This only happens when I'm near the Detroit Riiver.I was wondering if anyone else has the same issues around these things.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you mean,speak up or shut up.It's a smiple question.Got somthing to say,say it.Just wondering if it's a military frequency theres no consperisy theory here.I have been getting stranded randomly because of it.No need to be a dick.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stomper,Vambo,Philthy

Is there a way I disarm it with the key.I work at Hotel Dieu and originally thought the perimeter security or the Personal assistance locator systems for lockup were the cause but it's random and I've tested it while we were on maintenance shutdown more than once.It also does It near the river and especially the closer I get to the west end of town.It has never done it south of Giles and has been going on for a good 6 months.
I have posted with regards to shutting the alarm off totally but it seems to be impossible due to the integration.What ever it is it's probably exempt from the FCC and I couldn't care less,just want to get around it some how.The bike will run fine once I can get it started
I Just noticed I had the caps on for the S at the end of drones and tried to fix it but it wont let me.

·
Banned
14,891 Posts
Check the manual, it will tell. I disarmed it years ago. Something to do with a pattern on the turn signal buttons I believe.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
What do you mean,speak up or shut up.It's a smiple question.Got somthing to say,say it.Just wondering if it's a military frequency theres no consperisy theory here.I have been getting stranded randomly because of it.No need to be a dick.
Your country's military has a number of what are called "micro-UAV's" but nothing even close to resembling the Predator or it's larger derivative the Reaper. Our Border Patrol flies them on the US Mexico Border and along the Canadian Border out of North Dakota, far from where you live.
As best as I can tell based on the frequencies applied to the FCC for their operation, at least the ones publicly acknowledged, Reapers operate on the 4400 – 4940, 5250 – 5850, and 14400 – 15350 MHz frequency bands.

In North America remote key fobs are restricted to using 315 MHz. I serioiusly doubt a UAV is the source of your problem.

However, when was the last time you changed the battery in your key fob?

Happy now?

·
Premium Member
11,248 Posts
I have had problems with my security system not arming when I get real close to a cell phone tower. One in Key Largo comes to mind. My Fob's will not activate the security system when I am near it.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Cell phones globally operate in the 450MHz (GSM) up to the 2960MHz frequency range. In the US cellular bandwidth is from 700MHz up to 2100MHz for T-Mobile.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It may very well not be a predator but looks like one from the pictures I have seen and am no expert.What ever it they just started using it here lately,is American and patrols daily on the US side.Maybe It is cell phone towers as Rusty says if their interference is random.My bike arms automatically when I walk away and then Disarms automatically when I come back(no FOB buttons) I have looked up disarming the alarm in the manual but only found reference to cargo or hauling mode.
It will not disarm manually either.I can get to the second digit,the screen clears and BANG right back to alarm.Then if I wait 20 minutes or so It will see the FOB and disarm and can start the bike.Admittedly I know little about the alarm system and the dealer thinks can't be fully turned off.
I probably shouldn't have been pissy but It had me stranded at work again and had to get a ride home and was still fuming so I apologize.Looks like something I may have to live with.thanks

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
What year is your bike? Mine arms and disarms automatically and it is supposed to. Are the fob's batties fresh? Is the alarm antenna under the seat in the correct position and undamaged?

·
Premium Member
2,900 Posts
It may very well not be a predator but looks like one from the pictures I have seen and am no expert....
Post up a picture the next time you see one. Especially if you've got a camera with a decent telephoto lens. I nearly guarantee that someone here will be able to identify exactly what you're seeing.

The predator / reaper planes are much bigger than most people imagine. (According to this Wiki page, the reaper has a 66ft wingspan.) I think the predator was reported to have a 49 ft. wingspan.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What year is your bike? Mine arms and disarms automatically and it is supposed to. Are the fob's batties fresh? Is the alarm antenna under the seat in the correct position and undamaged?
Two different FOBS and lots of new batteries.The alarm doesn't disarm either by the FOB or the code when It acts up and only has issues in certain areas up to 4 or 5 days a week and then only for around a 1/2 hour or less.If your military and say it's likely not the drones I believe you.What ever it is it's intermittent and around south west Windsor.I have no personal with the drones being here if they are.With the Ambassador bridge being the busiest North American crossing it's just a sign of the times and I would actually welcome the security.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
It looks more like this to me than anything else I have seen on the web only white.Im not the only one who sees it either,ya I know it's French.Not saying thats it but very close.Are there any planes that look like that?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EADS_Talarion
The RQ-4 Global Hawk looks like that, but the 18 in service have been decommissioned due to high cost and mothballed in the high desert near where I live.

They usually fly at 70,000 feet or more so you would not ordinarily see one with the naked eye. The US Navy has five similar UAV's being tested for maritime surviellance at Patuxent River Maryland.

EADEs is evasive regarding Canadian interest in the Talarion. There has been tests in Goose Bay but other NATO nations, Germany, France and UK passed up the Talarion for a BAE competitor. You might have seen the Talarion. That makes a lot more sense than a Predator.

·
Premium Member
9,332 Posts
Two different FOBS and lots of new batteries.The alarm doesn't disarm either by the FOB or the code when It acts up and only has issues in certain areas up to 4 or 5 days a week and then only for around a 1/2 hour or less.If your military and say it's likely not the drones I believe you.What ever it is it's intermittent and around south west Windsor.I have no personal with the drones being here if they are.With the Ambassador bridge being the busiest North American crossing it's just a sign of the times and I would actually welcome the security.
Key fobs operate in the UHF band at 315 MHz in North America. Military UHF air traffic control communications also operate in the UHF band, from 225 - 400 MHz. 315 MHz is in between frequencies used by the USAF for plane to plane communications during aerial refueling. It is not a freq used by UAVs.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Im going to call the dealer and see if they have had any complaints from other customers.There is a lot of industry here as well so maybe that could be another possibility.Im finding out now that there has been a lot of issues with this in the area lately.Had a couple A10 Thunderbolts flying around today for the Celebrations,coolest sounding engines IMO.Happy Independence day and don't party too hard

·
Woverby
477 Posts
Philthy, "well spoken". I agree with your thoughts about replacing the battery. I also have noted it is easy to "shield" the FOB, so it is not detected. I wrap my spare keys and fob with aluminum foil when I travel, and "hide" them in my saddle bag. The shielded FOB is not recognized, but does allow me to carry a spare on the bike. My point is a weak FOB battery, or depending on the type of material with a coat or clothing, may also affect its opertion.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts