Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yeah touches mine and has marked the cover and paint. I'm assuming yours will do what mine has done and as soon as u ride it will drop and sit on the cover. Tried so many things and it still does it no matter what we do. It needs a bracket, Plus I feel the rear header pipe needs adjustment. I've only ridden it once to avoid any more damage to my cover.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Yeah touches mine and has marked the cover and paint. I'm assuming yours will do what mine has done and as soon as u ride it will drop and sit on the cover. Tried so many things and it still does it no matter what we do. It needs a bracket, Plus I feel the rear header pipe needs adjustment. I've only ridden it once to avoid any more damage to my cover.
So I just went into the shop to take a look at mine.

Indeed it could use a small bracket to keep it a 1/2" or so from the clutch cover and bottom frame rail. See the two pictures attached. One shows where the rear pipe touches the clutch cover. The other picture shows where the one spring is touching the frame.

The fix: I agree a small bracket will easily fix this (i.e. the rear pipe needed just a big more bend outward to totally clear). My plan (short of Thomas fixing this which I think is not going to happen) is to make a small bracket out of stainless, bolt one end to one of the two frame bolts on the bottom and weld the other end to the back side of the collector. Piece of cake unless you can't weld stainless. About a $10 project at best if you don't have some stainless stock on hand.

Appreciate the heads up. I was a bit miffed when I bolted these on as well, but I was hoping it just wouldn't matter. Your experience is confirming that it does matter.

If you really want, I would be game to make you a bracket as well (and weld it if you ship me your collector) for the cost of shipping only.

Aren't projects fun?

Attachments

·
Registered
441 Posts
Message sent to Thomas with details and this thread. Who knows, maybe he will have a solution (i.e. bracket or better bent pipes).

21 - 24 of 24 Posts