Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone run into this before? The bracket on the Akrapovic muffler cracked in half above the single bolt and it’s squeaking. I put a piece of rubber between it to isolate it for now but curious if it’s a common issue.
There was never any impact on the muffler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Has anyone run into this before? The bracket on the Akrapovic muffler cracked in half above the single bolt and it’s squeaking. I put a piece of rubber between it to isolate it for now but curious if it’s a common issue.
There was never any impact on the muffler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't know how common it is but there's a lot of weight behind that bolt muffler wise that sets up some good buz in the can. One other reported the can vibrates like a bitch if you feel it with you hand. Some of this can be felt in the bike around 4200 rpm when it hits the resonance zone. Figuring this will eventually break the plate welded to the can I made up a secondary brace to take the shake out. So far, so good. You really need to bend over to see it, so it fairly hidden normally. No worried about the 321 stainless head pipes as the slip joints offer some flex to counter that rigid can mount. I did tried a rubber mount setup early on. The vibes were worse.

Attachments

·
Registered
821 Posts
I will have to check mine now. I did have a bracket break on a Dan-Moto last year. Not much play in a hard mounted exhaust I guess, just the slip joints as Ron mentioned. Hence that "buzz" at certain rpm.

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
I will have to check mine now. I did have a bracket break on a Dan-Moto last year. Not much play in a hard mounted exhaust I guess, just the slip joints as Ron mentioned. Hence that "buzz" at certain rpm.
Resonant vibration is a nasty animal to deal with. All engines will produce it at certain rpms. Changing weight or stiffness of a component are the usual means to stop it. In the auto industry, exhaust wise, one common method is to add a big weight to the pipe. I chose to alter stiffness via the brace. I feel while the AKRA is a great pipe, they dropped the ball on the muffler mounting. Too much mass behind the can mount tends to get the end cap area buzzing. 4200 for me was the problem rpm. Played with the tune for a while and no joy there. Finally bit the bullet and made up the brace as a last resort. I can now run that rpm with no adverse vibes. Very noticeable before.
Other then ZUCZEKs post above, I've only seen one other on FB group where the bracket cracked off right at the can. They determined it was from his girlfriend standing on the muffler. I don't think that's the case and to me it was long term effects of resonant vibration.
Ron

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
Ron, have you replaced the packing in the can yet? Mine's gotten abnormally loud this year, want to quieten it down and getting ready to open it up after this season ends.
Not yet. Supposedly, Akra will sell you the packing and new rivets for the task. Pretty sure both can be sourced elsewhere to save money. Nothing cheap on the Akra pipe.
Ok, so a search found this kit.
Ron

·
Registered
79 Posts
Surprisingly, Ebay has some decent leads on parts including the P-BR3 blind rivets. I may try the Silent Sport string style packing from Germany also. Looking at about $100 for everything, so not too bad.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts