Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2003 VRSCA Airbox 8K Cleaning and inspection.
I'm seeing a small amount residual engine oil in the area under and around the front cylinder cam chain tensioner cover and under the throttle bodies area. Seems to be coming from this tube going into my airbox. Could this be the problem? Not really seaning anything around in that area that could cause this mess Im seeing. Ive already cleaned the mess up in the picture but thats where the oil mess was. The bike has 8273 miles on her?
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Motorcycle

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
A couple of things to explain it. In 05, the system was updated. Not sure it's any better other then ease of install. All you may need is a new o-ring on the bullet and adding a flat spring clamp to the top of that front hose.
Ron

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,756 Posts
First problem I had with my R Model after purchase from a private party, but straight out of a H-D shop for a new battery - go figure even they couldn't get it right. Fixed it myself. Don't hurry guys, look at everything you're doing coming apart and put it all back together very carefully - use a mirror and flashlight to check seating if needed - if the airbox must be forced down it ain't seated, try it again & verify visually or you'll receive a free oily mess on your engine as a present. :cautious:

·
Registered Insane
Two 2003 VRSCA's: CTHULHU is Black/Sterling, N/A ; EVIL TWIN is Anodized and S/C
474 Posts
When I first took my airbox lid off in 2013 to get at the dead battery, I noticed how difficult it was going to be to get at the spark plugs when it became necessary. I made two immediate decisions.

1. Go topless.
2. Then I took a Sawzall to the airbox bottom and removed all the "excess" material to leave only what supports the Air filter element.

When reinstalling the bottom I had trouble with the breather tubes seating properly, so with minor modifications I installed extra long tubes and looped them around the compartment. Tucked them in but ensured no kinks. Glued everything at the seams with SealAll and JB Weld.

This way I can remove the airbox bottom plate at will, pull it to the side, and let it dangle from the long hoses while I work, which I've had to do several times over the years. And never have to worry about seating or separation. Over 18K miles since this hack job of a mod and I've yet to have a leak or experience any negative issues. Have verified fitment with carb cleaner spray to check for air leaks while running.

·
Registered
5,507 Posts
When I first took my airbox lid off in 2013 to get at the dead battery, I noticed how difficult it was going to be to get at the spark plugs when it became necessary. I made two immediate decisions.

1. Go topless.
2. Then I took a Sawzall to the airbox bottom and removed all the "excess" material to leave only what supports the Air filter element.

When reinstalling the bottom I had trouble with the breather tubes seating properly, so with minor modifications I installed extra long tubes and looped them around the compartment. Tucked them in but ensured no kinks. Glued everything at the seams with SealAll and JB Weld.

This way I can remove the airbox bottom plate at will, pull it to the side, and let it dangle from the long hoses while I work, which I've had to do several times over the years. And never have to worry about seating or separation. Over 18K miles since this hack job of a mod and I've yet to have a leak or experience any negative issues. Have verified fitment with carb cleaner spray to check for air leaks while running.
I run a trimmed bottom and topless as well. Only need to remove the filter for battery and front plug now. I couldn't stand all the interference of the bottom box with other components, throttle cables, battery cable, coolant tube and all that. Nice and open now. I for one, like the sound also.
Ron

·
Premium Member
296 Posts

1. Go topless.

Any pics?

·
Registered Insane
Two 2003 VRSCA's: CTHULHU is Black/Sterling, N/A ; EVIL TWIN is Anodized and S/C
474 Posts
I'll try to get some, however my bike is in storage for the winter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts