Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I'm new to the forum and I'm already loving it! I'm looking into upgrading my shock, but not sure which route would be best. I would like to be able to drop my rear fender to the wheel with an airbag system, but I see a lot of vrods with the piggyback gas shock system. What are the pros and cons? Help!!!

·
"Vrod King"
932 Posts
I like the nitrogen shocks myself. Fewer parts to deal with. Plus I can tune them for how I ride. I have Ohlins on the Turbo One and might try a set of YSS shocks on another one. If I ever were to go with air shocks, I would take the swing arm off and have it sealed up and use it as an air tank for the system.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I went with the Arnott “ultimate ride” system. Air compressor mounts in the existing airbox, manifold mounts under the seat and behind the gas tank. They have a switch that has a built-in pressure gauge now, that wasn’t around when I bought my system. I’ve gotten used to just eyeballing the shock height that is needed for a good ride depending on if I’m running solo or 2 up, road conditions, etc. but a gauge would be SO nice. It takes a little time to decide how to route the wires and air lines, if you care about how the final appearance turns out. I went with the chrome shocks ( Fox pieces) that have functioned flawlessly, but the chrome is flaking off and is the worst looking part of the bike at this point. At the lowest setting I love the way it looks but it’ll drag on the lowest speed bump and possibly herniate a disk, at the highest setting it’s as ugly as a man’s ass but would probably clear a crosstie. It is really nice to have the ability to drop it when cruising round town for looks and raise it up for the ride home. Cost bout $1700. Limited lifetime warranty. I don’t regret it.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Legends Air Suspension

Hello all! I'm new to the forum and I'm already loving it! I'm looking into upgrading my shock, but not sure which route would be best. I would like to be able to drop my rear fender to the wheel with an airbag system, but I see a lot of vrods with the piggyback gas shock system. What are the pros and cons? Help!!!
I installed a set of Legends Air Suspension on the rear of my Trask Turbo Muscle. You can see pics at some of my posts here. I also have a 120R FLHX with a Trask Turbo and I installed a set of Legends Air Suspension on the rear of it also. I found the Legends worked much better on my Muscle than the FLHX. I don't really know why but they did. You can drop the air out completely and the tire will not catch or drag on anything. It's not good way to ride the bike that way. It just looks cool parked. It's a nice way to fine tune your ride depending on whether your're riding solo, 2-up or loaded with gear.
Legends had a nice air pressure gauge and bracket that mounted to the rear rocker box and the toggle switch for the compressor mounts in the small hole in the bracket. That is what I used and I never had any problems. See the attached photo. The photo is from ICE (Independent Cycle East). They are a Legends vendor.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
I went with the Arnott “ultimate ride” system. Air compressor mounts in the existing airbox, manifold mounts under the seat and behind the gas tank. They have a switch that has a built-in pressure gauge now, that wasn’t around when I bought my system. I’ve gotten used to just eyeballing the shock height that is needed for a good ride depending on if I’m running solo or 2 up, road conditions, etc. but a gauge would be SO nice. It takes a little time to decide how to route the wires and air lines, if you care about how the final appearance turns out. I went with the chrome shocks ( Fox pieces) that have functioned flawlessly, but the chrome is flaking off and is the worst looking part of the bike at this point. At the lowest setting I love the way it looks but it’ll drag on the lowest speed bump and possibly herniate a disk, at the highest setting it’s as ugly as a man’s ass but would probably clear a crosstie. It is really nice to have the ability to drop it when cruising round town for looks and raise it up for the ride home. Cost bout $1700. Limited lifetime warranty. I don’t regret it.
I am leaning toward the Anot but sometimes see they are more purple than black. Why is that ? Do they change color after a while ? Can that be prevented some how ?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.