Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get a riding jacket and I came across a couple of different brands of jackets with airbags. Looking for a mesh because it is well over 100 degrees here. I was looking at the Hit Air and the Moto Air brands. The Hit Air models seem to have better tailbone protection when inflated, but lack abdominal protection. The Moto Air has good abdominal coverage, but lacks tailbone coverage. Both look good in the neck, back and chest areas.

Has anybody got experience with these jackets? Any statistics or personal experience on which area needs more protection in a crash, tailbone or abdominal area?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any comments? It looks like these have been out a while, so someone must have experience with them. I know that I may be in the minority in looking at a product that is about potential safety as I still see riders around here in shorts and no helmet. I even saw one last week with flip flops on while riding! As an ex MX racer, I have crashed a lot in the past and know how important protective gear is when you do crash.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've seen the video's, and they seemed like a good idea...
Sorry, no personal experience.
In the real world, I don't see any protection from broken bones, impalement, concussion, or most of the other things that could kill you in a crash. It might save you from a bit of road rash, but so will conventional riding gear.
OTOH, I don't see any harm if all else is equal.

They do look great with flip flops though...

-Mike

·
Premium Member
2,928 Posts
While I have no practical experience with them, anything that reduces impact forces will reduce injuries. Yeah, you can still suffer broken bones in areas not protected but combined with a FF helmet your core areas should fare pretty well.

·
Kickstart My Heart!!
1,506 Posts
Are these the ones that you would tether to the bike in the event you fell off so they would automatically inflate???

If so keep the video rolling cause I want to see the first time somebody gets off their bike and forgets to disconnect it.....

Instant Michelin tire man! :rofl:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are these the ones that you would tether to the bike in the event you fell off so they would automatically inflate???

If so keep the video rolling cause I want to see the first time somebody gets off their bike and forgets to disconnect it.....

Instant Michelin tire man! :rofl:
That would be funny! I think that it does take a good bit of force to activate it. I saw a video where the guy got off of his bike with it still attached and tried to walk away. The tether stopped him and yanked on the bike a bit, but didn't set off the bags. He disconnected it and another big guy came over and yanked forcefully on the tether and the bags inflated.

·
Kickstart My Heart!!
1,506 Posts
That would be funny! I think that it does take a good bit of force to activate it. I saw a video where the guy got off of his bike with it still attached and tried to walk away. The tether stopped him and yanked on the bike a bit, but didn't set off the bags. He disconnected it and another big guy came over and yanked forcefully on the tether and the bags inflated.
Yes they can make it look any way they want in their video. Ever be in a rush and get off your bike quickly? I am just saying, keep video rolling! I don't want to miss it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts