·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
Not sure where to post this.
If wrong area admin please move.
Just got myself an 09 vrod muscle.
Has V&H competition slip ons, supposedly stage 1, but the air filter looks real daggy and I don't know about the chip.
I have pulled the top and removed the backings to the mesh panels on the "tank".
Have a PCV and auto tune on order along with a K&N.
Once they all arrive I will set up a dyno tune to see what we can come up with.
My questions to you all are these....
I have come up with the (original) idea of removing all the "crap" under the air cleaner cover and just leave the "ram intakes", then fit these with some kind of filter system, ie a system like gets fitted to the carby on an older HD (foam with a mesh cover) on each intake.
Firstly, any pros or cons to the idea??
Has anyone tried this?
Does it work or not?
What was involved?
I haven't managed to get a close look at everything under the existing setup. Are there any other sensors to be aware of besides the air intake temp sensor on the top?
It has just occurred to me that heat transfer might be a problem!!!!
Once I find someone with experience tuning these bad boys I'll be getting a full dyno tune to make sure she's running at her best.
Thanks in advance for any info guys.
Hope your winter's not too severe over there in the US, I see it's pretty bad already in Europe. Warm but wet here in Oz.
cheers

:cheers::cheers:

·
Banned
3,309 Posts
What you're talking about is called "topless". You simply pull the airbox cover and leave it off, and run a gravel screen filter. Converting to a ram air setup might gain you a pony or two at high speed, but I don't know. You will have to remount the IAT sensor, but that's pretty easy.

To my way of thinking the entire process falls under the category of "waste of time" mods. You will pick up a couple HP at WOT, you'll also hear a lot more top end noise and give up most of your air filtration.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Actually, no.
I'm not talking topless per se, I have already done that.
What I am suggesting is removing the air box completely and fitting a filter setup to each of the intake stacks, as per Kuryakyn velociraptor stacks. (Can't upload photo for some reason)
But, the more I think about it the more I think heat transfer up from the heads might become a major problem.
cheers :cheers:

·
Registered
600 Posts
First off Welcome. From what I have seen most people leave the base pan of the air box in place as it makes a great place for add ons, power commander, compressor for air shocks, etc. and simply use a high performance air filter. This would also help prevent the heat transfer you mentioned. you may see some benefits from opening up the scoops but they would be minimal until you get into some very high speeds. At least you could say that they are functional.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
I say it will work on the V-Rod about as well as it did for cowl induction.
I have yet to see an ecm for a V-Rod that is capable of making the adjustments in the millisecond,or less of time it would take to do so.Keep in mind,these ecm's that are supposed to be self learning,require months of time for the controller to make the adjustment.They aren't even near as smart as a low line Toyota!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts