Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Has anyone ever had an issue with not being able to pump air in the tires ?

I can take the tire pressure with my gauge but when I try to put air into it to get the correct tire pressure its not going in.

Yes my compressor has enough pressure its full at 120psi.

Could this be the valve stem that's gone bad?? It has been sitting for over a year and im trying to do maintenance before I get it back on the road.

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
is it a 240 tire? Those things need lots of air to push the needle even a little bit..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a 240. I can't even hear the air going in though. Maybe im just used to vehicle tires. Ill try it again tomorrow and see if it moves if I leave it on longer.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
It is a 240. I can't even hear the air going in though. Maybe im just used to vehicle tires. Ill try it again tomorrow and see if it moves if I leave it on longer.
If you can take a pressure reading, maybe your tire chuck is pooched. Nothing special about the valve stems in these bikes.
Ron

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
Try the pump on another tire, preferably one much smaller in size and see if it is working.
Had similar problem with my 2007 240 rear. Pump would do fine until 40 PSI then appear to stop. Thought the pump was bad. Tested pump on front tire. It worked just fine.
'
Decided to try rear again. Held chuck on the valve for a couple of minutes and discovered pressure finally came up to 44 psi. Had to back off.
'
I guess that last couple of pounds is a bit taxing on the air pump. Mine is a 1 horse 3 gallon 125 psi Craftsman.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thx everyone for the feedback. I put my ear up against the tire and air IS going in just very very ... very slowly. Guess these just take a while to get up to pressure.

My compressor wasn't the issue its an 80G belt driven beast. Might be the valve is going bad too but for now its taking pressure and I can keep a safe check on it every couple rides.

Thx again.

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
Those 240's take a lot of air.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dont judge me too harshly but I couldn't get the pressure up to where it needed to be so I pulled out the hand pump from my dads road bike and hand pumped it to 42 rear and 36 front.

I think I might need a special adapter for motorcycles for my compressor.

Got the job done though =-)

·
EXCELSIOR
8,555 Posts
I have used some cheaply made air chucks that at times that are reluctant to feed air. I won't get into suspected nationality of origin. Look into the opening of the chuck and see if the the center plunger is loose and will wiggle side to side, that is a dead give away.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have used some cheaply made air chucks that at times that are reluctant to feed air. I won't get into suspected nationality of origin. Look into the opening of the chuck and see if the the center plunger is loose and will wiggle side to side, that is a dead give away.
You were right it was 100% cheap POS air chuck.

New one works like a charm

1 - 10 of 10 Posts