Votes: 21 41.2%
  • Electric Shifter

Votes: 30 58.8%
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
I FINALLY GOT BOOST!
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what do the experts say are the pros and cons for each?

·
Frank
4,320 Posts
Unless you are going to consider the V&H Servo Technology (~$1200) electric shifter, is air all the way. Of course you still should be running an electrc solenoid to activate that air cylinder!

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
BAD V-R said:
Unless you are going to consider the V&H Servo Technology (~$1200) electric shifter, is air all the way. Of course you still should be running an electrc solenoid to activate that air cylinder!
I saw that thing...very nice! Just hold the button and go, automatic shifting...wow!

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
I'm with Frank...but the ones available today with the elec solenoid are referred to as "electric over air"....Pingel has a couple they offer....the one you're after is the "junior" model.....alot smaller physically, 1/4" air lines instead of 3/8"......and plenty of power to shift the VRod......a smart addition for a street driven bike is the on board air compressor as well......

·
I FINALLY GOT BOOST!
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NightMare said:
I saw that thing...very nice! Just hold the button and go, automatic shifting...wow!
Isn't that called cheating?

·
I FINALLY GOT BOOST!
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
mikelewis said:
I'm with Frank...but the ones available today with the elec solenoid are referred to as "electric over air"....Pingel has a couple they offer....the one you're after is the "junior" model.....alot smaller physically, 1/4" air lines instead of 3/8"......and plenty of power to shift the VRod......a smart addition for a street driven bike is the on board air compressor as well......
Hmmmmmm maybe I could work something out with some sort of switch to use my air ride compressor for that.

·
Frank
4,320 Posts
Jetgod said:
Hmmmmmm maybe I could work something out with some sort of switch to use my air ride compressor for that.
On my 'B I have an air compressor on-board and I use the swingarm as an air tank. Both the suspension and the shifter run run off the air in the tank through seperate solenoids. I just use a toggle switch to add air to the tank whenever it gets low.

·
I FINALLY GOT BOOST!
3,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BAD V-R said:
On my 'B I have an air compressor on-board and I use the swingarm as an air tank. Both the suspension and the shifter run run off the air in the tank through seperate solenoids. I just use a toggle switch to add air to the tank whenever it gets low.
That is why you are my hero Frank. You have all the answers!!!!

·
Banned
3,752 Posts
As usual, I am gonna go against the grain. If this is for a street bike. Go with the Pingel electric shifter. They have done major improvments and decreased the piston size also. No hoses,compressors, airlines,airtanks,etc. It can also be wired to a shiftlight. To become automatic up shifted.

·
Bone Stock B Model
8,639 Posts
smokenjoe01 said:
As usual, I am gonna go against the grain. If this is for a street bike. Go with the Pingel electric shifter. They have done major improvments and decreased the piston size also. No hoses,compressors, airlines,airtanks,etc. It can also be wired to a shiftlight. To become automatic up shifted.

I agree with Joe here, if its just a street bike the new pingel electric shifter would be the way to go. If your gonna do any racing I would say air all the way.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Don't forget if you have the change Vance and Hines has the new electric out, for the street it looks like it might be a sweet ticket. It even allows things such as selecting neutral .

·
JeffC 1/2 to 300mph!
5,733 Posts
The Vance & Hines looked nice and Blake(?) talked me thru it's operation.
There are several of us riding around with non-working Pingels, hopefully when I get the chance to pull mine back off Pingel can get it to work.

·
Banned
3,752 Posts
Max said:
Don't forget if you have the change Vance and Hines has the new electric out, for the street it looks like it might be a sweet ticket. It even allows things such as selecting neutral .
Max, That setup is way over priced. It is very weak looking and I wouldn't want a fellow member to be the Guinea pig for them. Did you see how they mount it? I just wasn't very impressed. Different strokes for different folks.

·
Bone Stock B Model
8,639 Posts
Max said:

The Vance and Hines one looks very nice. It also has a built in 2 step.

·
Banned
3,752 Posts
JSC said:
The Vance & Hines looked nice and Blake(?) talked me thru it's operation.
There are several of us riding around with non-working Pingels, hopefully when I get the chance to pull mine back off Pingel can get it to work.
You have the old version!
If you use the 2 step feature. You need to machine your lever and control housing for a microswitch or use a destroyer clutch housing with the switch.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
smokenjoe01 said:
Max, That setup is way over priced. It is very weak looking and I wouldn't want a fellow member to be the Guinea pig for them. Did you see how they mount it? I just wasn't very impressed. Different strokes for different folks.
Joe I agree it is pricey but it is a track and ball system and not a solenoid like the others. The mount was terrible I agree. A custom mount shouldn't be a big deal.

As far as the pingel goes I know that early on mine dealt me problems but they did in the end get me a new kill module that corrected all the problems I had and for the last year mine has worked flawlessly.

If you race I think air is the best option, the electric is just handy for the street since it requires less maintenance to operate.

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
Soo, what if you want one that's streetable AND track worthy? I'm not talking "Mike Lewis or Smoken Joe trackable", but just "having fun/test & tune night with maybe more potential" type set-up? Am I reading right that the new Pingle electric might be the way to go?

·
The Hawk
3,906 Posts
I am running the Pingle all electric and have had a few issues but got them worked out and it has worked well this past year, on the street and the track.
I use mine with the VRFID to trigger the shifts at whatever rpm I want and it goes down the track like an auto trans, let out the clutch at the start, nail the throttle and hang on.

Mike

1 - 20 of 64 Posts