Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Max:
This question is for you and the other High Tech guys.
Would it be worth the trouble of buying and installing one of the aftermarket Air Fuel Monitors (Edelbrock, Holley etc.)?
The purpose would be to try different intake and exhaust setups with out frying a motor.
If I had a temporary mount for the Monitor gauge and Power Commander while I was riding, I could try different mufflers and air cleaner modifications. If I see a lean or rich condition I could adjust and continue.
That’s the basic question.
Now could a setup be made to insert the O2 sensor in the muffler or would it need to be screwed into the exhaust. Could weld (?) a fitting into the mixing chamber on the under side where it would not be visible when the O2 sensor is removed and a plug inserted.

Larry.

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
I have thought about doing that.But I don't want that O2 sensor sticking out like a sore thumb.If I can get just a Y pipe from Supertrapp then I would think about it,swap out just to do tuning.It should work the moniters work from a 12v source.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
I would like to have system that used block learn and an O2 sensor. In theory you could install an O2 and power it up and monitor voltage and could tell if the bike was rich or lean but without feedback you would get no cross counts on it but it would let you do tuning for that perfect 14.7/1 ratio by looking for a mixture that stayed around 500mv at steady cruising at most rpms and then went into the 700-800mv range at full throttle.

Max

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Max,I have a Fluke multimeter that reads 4000mv.It will take your highest and lowest reading and store them,and at the moment readings.This could be used for tuning.It sure would be ugly riding around w/it tho.But the money and time you save from having the tuner do it,would be worth it.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Great Link. vrodvinny in reality it would probably be the best tune you could do to the bike. The fact that you would get true airflow readings as the bike gets going down the road would make it much more reliable then the bench marks done on a dyno since the airflow could never be duplicated exactly as it should be.

Max

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
That's what I did to my Monte ss.I need to get to the track this spring and get the results.The motor I was planning on building has been scratched,we wanna move.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
I really hadn't given it a lot of thought but I have several fluke meters and an extra center section for the exhaust so it would be easy for me to set up a self tune sensor and then when the tune is done simply replace the section with my original and keep the one with the O2 on the shelf.

Max

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
I have a drawer full of O2 sensors and I'll bet the center section is meaty enough to just drill and tap it in. Or at least thats what I plan to try.

Max

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
And what else you can do is,take an old grip and mark your throttle %'s.That way you don't have to guess whet % you are at.:D

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
I'm pretty sure I can tap into the TPS and read the exact amount of throttle that I am running. I really think this might be a pretty good way to fine tune the bike.

Max

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
I'm waiting on supertrapp(emailed them tonight),to see if I can get just the y-pipe.That way I can modify(drill and weld 2 bungs) the one I have now.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Max,

Do you think there will still be enough heat in the center section to activate the O2 sensor? They need to get up to about 900 degrees before they are accurate, correct???

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Mark I plan to use a heated four wire O2 like all the late models use. They heat up and start reading in about 30 seconds.

Max

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Max,when you wire it up can you gave me instructions?I have just a one wire right now.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
14-7-1 might be alittle lean,Iwas told the rod likes 13.2 to 13.0.Won't it require 2 sensors at a specified distance from the exhaust port because of the rear cyl running richer for added cooling.Or maybe just one in the Center(plenum) for an overall reading? I have the edlebrock and it has a light graff,it works great for single cyle carb jetting.

Elrod on the V-rod

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
No word from supertrapp yet on a replacement Y-pipe.:mad:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts