Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, here goes but I feel like I am going to get slaughtered for even asking. I am not such a prima donna that I need this however there is nothing wrong with a few luxuries in life if they are affordable. It is hot in Florida as it is in many places and I find myself opting against my most safe riding apparel in place of comfort. Safety tells me that I should ride with a leather jacket, body armor, jeans, leather chaps, big boots, leather gloves and a full face helmet. In Florida, I am already sacrificing safety by opting for a full face helmet, a mesh jacket w/body armor & pants (not always jeans, sometimes thinner) & boots. I now own a half helmet and sometimes ride without a jacket. If there were an air conditioned option or accesory then I would never sacrifice at least the mesh jacket unless I was riding along the beach.

Anyone know if such a product exists or has any ever added AC to their motorcycle?

·
bushatesblaksabath!
1,066 Posts
Great flippin' idea! I'm in Minnesota, and it gets way too hot for leather to be be comfortable a lot of times... I too would buy at a reasonable price.

·
Ms. Subtle
12,179 Posts
uumm..i fill my camel back half way ...freeze it.... top it off with more fluid and slide it down the back of my jacket in the summer LOL

·
Registered
68 Posts
Never heard of AC. But BMW does the opposite with heat. They have a riding suit that has a hose that takes hot air off the engine and circulates it through the suit. I suppose something similar could be made if you could find a place to put a small cooling unit on the bike somewhere.

You'd probably just be better off with a lighter leather jacket with more ventilation, or by adding your own vents. Make cuts in the jacket and add mesh on the inside and zippers on the outside of the slits. That way you can still zip them up and stay warm when you need to. Think about where the cuts won't affect the protection the jacket offers though. Like a vent in the armpit wouldn't hurt but one near the elbows would.

Or just wear a denim jacket. Better than nothing.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Karl Scott said:
Never heard of it, but an armoured mesh jacket is still pretty good protection. With some Draggin Jeans.
Any favorite brands of armored mesh jackets?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
3OliveMartini said:
uumm..i fill my camel back half way ...freeze it.... top it off with more fluid and slide it down the back of my jacket in the summer LOL
Nice idea. Definitely an option. I would love a little AC though.
moby_dog said:
...Make cuts in the jacket and add mesh on the inside and zippers on the outside of the slits...Any favorite brands of armored mesh jackets?
I already own this one but sometimes I don't wear it, again, because of the heat. http://www.harley-davidson.com/mcm/...4309178688&bmUID=1186980201801&bmLocale=en_US
Thanks for the suggestion though. I was just looking for a true AC option.
stickshaker said:
Great flippin' idea!...
I found a couple of articles in Motrocycle magazines about this company (Entrosys) but their website is under construction and none of them mentioned an actual product available yet.

·
Formerly BobK
647 Posts
I just got the Cortech GX Air jacket and fulfills most all needs. CE armor, leather on the back of the arms, mesh everywhere else 2 liners one wind and waterproof and one quilted for warmth nearly perfect for warm to cool days.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
661 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
I just pull up in people's front yards and ask them to squirt me with the hose... they tend to comply

·
Pulling your strings
859 Posts
I was out riding yesterday in ~100 degree heat with my SE race jacket and I was fine. Idk, I guess the 21 years of living in Texas and ~13 years of fall soccer help.

·
Pineland Underground
14,737 Posts
I have a vest that has pockets on the inside that have these freeze pack things inside them. Pop them in some water and allow them to soak for a bit and the pack expands. Place it in the freezer for a bit and the freeze up; afterwards stick them back in the vest. While riding, the air blows through the outer mesh and circulates around the packs keeping the rider nice and cool. There's got to be a jacket out there that has the same type stuff.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
I have used heatpacks placed closed to my kidneys to stay warm while hunting in Ohio. I assume adding some pockets to your mesh jacket for freeze packs close to your kidneys would have a similar effect. I should help cool your entire body for a while anyway. I use a Vanson Ventmax 3 jacket. It works well but it has no pockets whatsoever and the back pad does leave a wetspot.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Here is an airconditioned jacket, but it sure looks fugly! When it gets too damned hot, I leave the Rod in the garage and don't even think about riding.

Attachments

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Here is an airconditioned jacket, but it sure looks fugly! When it gets too damned hot, I leave the Rod in the garage and don't even think about riding.
I imagine your rod has cobwebs on it by now then. :stilpoke:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts