Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is a real PAIN to get my air box cover back on after it's been removed. The hose from the overflow bottle is in the way, then the little cones won't fit thru the rubber grommets in the front.
What's the trick?

·
Been there done that
1,527 Posts
ABC install 101

I look into the air box cover from below and line up the left side first and then the right side. Tilt the ABC down under the handlebars when you start. I promise that after doing this 100 times it will be easy.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
Alcohol and practice helps!:hidesbeh:

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
Small price to pay for the sweetest bike in the HD lineup. It IS however a huge PITA, and the lack of forethought in the location of the coolant overflow hose makes you wonder WTF they were thinking. When I picked up the bike, we installed the ABC Bra and the salesman had to get a wrench to come out and show us how the sucker went back on.

I usually put a finger under the tip of the pin and guide it into the grommet. Someone needs to come up with a cone-shaped-inlet grommet to make this a little easier.

As was mentioned, after cursing Milwaukee the first 50 times, it does get easier.

Rick

·
Been there done that
1,527 Posts
How to abc

Its a whole lot easier if you not do the install standing up and looking down. I guarantee you that if you place the cover on the bike and then look at the left or right hole then guide 1 of the pins into the hole and then work on the other pin it would be easier. I sit in my mechanics work seat or the floor and look up into the ABC. It is a PITA but it gets better, 50 times should have done the trick though. I quit drinking also, I guess that helps. I broke my sobriety just now tho' could not pass up the hot eggnog and the Baileys Coffee Liqueur. just for holidays. curley vrod.

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
finesse my friend i made a little plate like the destroyer has that raises the air box about 3/4 of an inch and that helps. if you like i'll make one and send it to you, no charge, but you'll have to wait til next week, and i also have to make sure i have the materials. i made ncvrodracer one along with one for my bike. ask around to see if you like the raised look before i make it. i'll be glad to do it as i have too much time on my hands. merry christmas. it'll be made from aluminum i don't know the thickness but its the same or thinner than the destroyers

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2oo6
Thanks for the offer, but I, being new to the V, don't have a clue what that looks like. I take it your a machinist or tool and die maker, correct? I was a tool and die maker for GM in Ohio but they sent our jobs to China, so we moved here and I now teach high school, Drafting.
Anyway, I always get it lined up, with a little trouble of course, so I really doubt I'd want to lift the box, but if you ever get a chance, post a pic so I can see it.
Thanks and Merry CHRISTmas !!!

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
2oo6
Thanks for the offer, but I, being new to the V, don't have a clue what that looks like. I take it your a machinist or tool and die maker, correct? I was a tool and die maker for GM in Ohio but they sent our jobs to China, so we moved here and I now teach high school, Drafting.
Anyway, I always get it lined up, with a little trouble of course, so I really doubt I'd want to lift the box, but if you ever get a chance, post a pic so I can see it.
Thanks and Merry CHRISTmas !!!
naw, just an auto tech. i have some 1/6 inch aluminum i cut a rectangle and drill a few holes in. it raises the airbox up a little in the front to get more air in. the destroyers come factory with one. look at the pictures in ncvrodracers gallery and you can see the difference. it also helps to get the airbox on too. lemme know. i don't mind at all as long as i got the materials. i'll have to go out in the shop and look around this weekend.

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
finesse my friend i made a little plate like the destroyer has that raises the air box about 3/4 of an inch and that helps. if you like i'll make one and send it to you, no charge, but you'll have to wait til next week, and i also have to make sure i have the materials. i made ncvrodracer one along with one for my bike. ask around to see if you like the raised look before i make it. i'll be glad to do it as i have too much time on my hands. merry christmas. it'll be made from aluminum i don't know the thickness but its the same or thinner than the destroyers
LOL!

:worthless

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh snap, where/when do they race bikes 1/4 mile here in NC?
I've been to the 1/8th mile track, not fast enough, need 1/4 mile.
Thanks !

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
rockingham is the closest 1/4 mile to you. zmax down in concord also

·
Vic Jacoby
1,459 Posts
Pic of ncvrodracer's set up.

·
Vic Jacoby
1,459 Posts

·
drag racer
6,699 Posts
boys thats a bad ride right there, you'll see some sub 10 second runs in the 1/4 mile next year.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts