Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2012 VRSCF
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year (summer 2019) and about 6000 KM (3600+ miles) ago I had the breather hoses replaced due to the oil seepage coming down on to the motor. I originally was told by HD that my head gaskets were leaking and they would have to pull out the motor, etc. Came here and heard that it's not something that happens to these bikes - I only have 21,000KM (13K miles) on it now and have owned it since May 2018 (only had 6000km when I bought it). So I told them to take another look and sure enough it was the breather hoses and they did the replacement. Looks like there is a bit of oil again now after a year of it being nice and dry. Is this something that needs adjusting/replacing often? Or do I maybe have another issue?

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Last year (summer 2019) and about 6000 KM (3600+ miles) ago I had the breather hoses replaced due to the oil seepage coming down on to the motor. I originally was told by HD that my head gaskets were leaking and they would have to pull out the motor, etc. Came here and heard that it's not something that happens to these bikes - I only have 21,000KM (13K miles) on it now and have owned it since May 2018 (only had 6000km when I bought it). So I told them to take another look and sure enough it was the breather hoses and they did the replacement. Looks like there is a bit of oil again now after a year of it being nice and dry. Is this something that needs adjusting/replacing often? Or do I maybe have another issue?
Should last way longer then that, actually years. Two things usually happen. The rear cracks over a long time of use. The front one the part that slips over the brass bullet will slowly over time lose it's grip and seal. Just change mine at 30k as it was starting to weep slightly. Sometimes if one doesn't understand the assembly, the front bullet isn't seated prior to slipping the breather hose over or the o-ring in the bullet is not sealing. Brass tube must be pushed all the way down in the hole and then slide breather hose over it when installing the lower air box. Investigate where it's leaking and replace both hoses and the bullet o -ring if needed. Pick up a new tb gasket for between the tb and air box. It's like $4, more or less. On another note, at 30k my rear hose still didn't leak. I changed it out of guilt as I had a new spare anyway. I coated the outside of the rubbers with silicone dielectric grease a long time ago. This forms a barrier so the ozone in the air doesn't cause that rot and cracking over time. Front can be done as well on the part that slips over the brass bullet.
Ron

·
Premium Member
11,390 Posts
My breather hoses have been replaced only once or twice in 190,000 miles on my 2007 VRSCX. If you don't ride the bike for extended periods of time they may dry out and crack. JMHO

1 - 3 of 3 Posts