Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have 05 VRSCSE. I was told at the HD dealership that I can take a top cover off of the air box and that would help with the air flow. However there is a sensor in that top cover. I can probably attach it to the bottom but I want to know if anybody did this or what do you guys think.

Also one of front brake disks is kind of loose. You can move it with your hand about 1/8 clockwise and back. All bolt seems very tight. Anybody know what the problem might be?

Thanks

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
airbox: do a search for "topless" and or "IAC sensor"

brake disk: look up the torque specs, and torque the bolts to spec.

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
Hello, I have 05 VRSCSE. I was told at the HD dealership that I can take a top cover off of the air box and that would help with the air flow. However there is a sensor in that top cover. I can probably attach it to the bottom but I want to know if anybody did this or what do you guys think.
Red Herring.

Also one of front brake disks is kind of loose. You can move it with your hand about 1/8 clockwise and back. All bolt seems very tight. Anybody know what the problem might be?

Thanks
Wear.

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
The loose brake rotor was reported by another user here just recently. Philthy replaced the mounting bolts and all was well.

Here is a LINK to the thread about it.

·
Banned
8,925 Posts
hello, i have 05 vrscse. I was told at the hd dealership that i can take a top cover off of the air box and that would help with the air flow. However there is a sensor in that top cover. I can probably attach it to the bottom but i want to know if anybody did this or what do you guys think.

Thanks
i have a new airbox cover with the sensor relocation kit, pm me if interested, thanks

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
i assume that you are saying with the red herring that removing the airbox lid doesn`t do any thing..i dyno tested topless back in 2002 and on those v-rods it was worth about 2 or 3 hp.. a recent v-rod made an additional 5 hp after removing the lid..i think the reason it made more difference on the new v-rod is the fact that the snorkel is more blocked by wiring and such than the older v-rods..

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
i assume that you are saying with the red herring that removing the airbox lid doesn`t do any thing..i dyno tested topless back in 2002 and on those v-rods it was worth about 2 or 3 hp.. a recent v-rod made an additional 5 hp after removing the lid..i think the reason it made more difference on the new v-rod is the fact that the snorkel is more blocked by wiring and such than the older v-rods..
:deal: Proof?

I'm not doubting it entirely. I just haven't seen a shred of proof.

·
myvrodrocks
6,021 Posts
:deal: Proof?

I'm not doubting it entirely. I just haven't seen a shred of proof.
I'm with you...but taking off the top and trimming the bottom does make the intake a bit louder and it also makes it easier to get to your LED lights that you put along the frame...

Those I can prove...

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
Here is one lbrown posted and Eagle post about the same a LONG time ago.

The info (proof) is out there you just have to read. :D

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136465
Thanks, I hadn't read that thread. 4% is a significant increase in HP. I'd like to see the print out to see where the increases first showed up (at what RPM).

There was a lot of talk about changing the A/F by removing the lid. I don't see how opening the throttle farther (by increasing the available air) can do that. Naturally opening the exhaust to allow more unspent fuel to escape can lean out the A/F, but the intake? :confused:

Now I have to bore out my intake tube. Thanks lbrown!

·
That U in my mirror?
1,511 Posts

Thanks
I have a picture of the relocated sensor in my gallery. Drill a hole in the front of the airbox and relocate it.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Thanks, I hadn't read that thread. 4% is a significant increase in HP. I'd like to see the print out to see where the increases first showed up (at what RPM).

There was a lot of talk about changing the A/F by removing the lid. I don't see how opening the throttle farther (by increasing the available air) can do that. Naturally opening the exhaust to allow more unspent fuel to escape can lean out the A/F, but the intake? :confused:

Now I have to bore out my intake tube. Thanks lbrown!
i posted that hp difference after i got home from dyno tuning that bike..the hp increase was from the increase in airflow.. if the airflow increases without an increase of fuel delivery the a/f ratio will change.. the change was minor enough to be a non issue..back in 2002 i went to hd technical training on the new v-rods (none of the other hd mechanics wanted to work on the new v-rod) and one of the things that we were told was that removing the top airbox cover was worth an easy 5hp increase.. i tested that on a couple of 2002 v-rods and only found 2 or 3hp at the time.. i hadn`t checked it again until this tune..

·
Buy American!
3,960 Posts
i posted that hp difference after i got home from dyno tuning that bike..the hp increase was from the increase in airflow.. if the airflow increases without an increase of fuel delivery the a/f ratio will change.. the change was minor enough to be a non issue..back in 2002 i went to hd technical training on the new v-rods (none of the other hd mechanics wanted to work on the new v-rod) and one of the things that we were told was that removing the top airbox cover was worth an easy 5hp increase.. i tested that on a couple of 2002 v-rods and only found 2 or 3hp at the time.. i hadn`t checked it again until this tune..
But doesn't the ECM automatically add fuel when the airflow is increased, just as if you opened the throttle a tiny bit more? Does it throw the TPS out of calibration as you approach WOT?

At what RPM does the removal of the airbox change the performance? Do you see a change to A/F above that RPM?

Just trying to understand. :confused:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts