Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My next mod was going to be the AIM clutch.But now HD has this slipper clutch that is retrofitable in all vrsc's.

What are the differences between the 2?Do they both do the same thing?I understand they both have less clutch lever resistance.Is the slipper like the pressure plate AIM?

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I know the "slipper" slips the clutch during downshifting to smooth it down,But I already blip the throttle when downshfting.Gotta match that engine speed to the tire speed.
Does the AIM do the samething?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Vinny said:
I know the "slipper" slips the clutch during downshifting to smooth it down,But I already blip the throttle when downshfting.Gotta match that engine speed to the tire speed.
Does the AIM do the samething?
Vinny I have not seen the slipper clutch and couldn't find much information on the hd site but the aim is not a slipper clutch. The aim is a pressure plate that allows reduced effort by using a leverage type control system and counter weights so that it adds more pressure as speed increases.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Vinny after doing a search for the slipper clutch for pictures the only thing I came up with was an ebay link for a slipper on a sporty and it looks very similar in design to the AIM unit I sell. Maybe we can get someone in the know to point us in the right direction or verify if this is anything like what the new v-rod is using.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harl...mZ130113844939QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
Max, Vinny, et al...in this post there's a new HD tech manual that talks about the clutch. Maybe this will help?

·
EXCELSIOR
8,450 Posts
HD Tech document in other thread shows exploded views of slipper clutch.
As Max stated the action and functions are different.
The AIM pressure plate offers reduced effort at idle speeds and increased lock up pressure at high RPM. This has no "slipping" function during downshifting.
The "slipper clutch" offers reduced lever effort due to it's reworked mechanical design, much like the AIM pressure plate. The hub incorporates a "ramping" mechanism which allows the clutch to free the plates during violent downshift operation. This prevents rear wheel lock up.
This type of ramp design is a common feature in slipping clutches and is tuned to work above a certain load threshold. At normal and low speed downshifting there would be no discernable difference in opperation.
While the HD clutch is a retrofit I imagine the cost for all components would be much greater than the AIM pressure plate.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Pdf

Here is the pdf that explains all the changes. And after seeing the pictures of it I can say that no it is nothing like the aim clutch. I notice it changes everything except the basket which remains the same also.

Attachments

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
Max said:
Here is the pdf that explains all the changes..
Thanks for the link - and thank your source for providing the document. Its information like this that really sets the forum apart.

A couple of observations from reading the *pdf:

1) It looks like it is cost-prohibitive, if not to say physically impossible, to field-upgrade a bike to include the ABS system. In addition to the different calipers, wheel bearings, and ABS control module - you would need a different wiring harness. It also looks like servicing the brakes is becoming something best left to the dealership - apparently the Digital Technician is required to service the ABS system.

2) They have changed the crankcase breather tube to provide a better seal. Obviously some of the griping about odd oil leaks at the top of the engine prompted this.

3) I see that they have done away with the automatic compression release on the cams - the new, larger battery on 2007+ models permits this.

4) They have moved the voltage regulator to the bottom of the radiator shroud. While the VR is a sealed unit, this does place it in a location where it is more likely to get sprayed with water coming off the front wheel. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks again for providing the *pdf, Max.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Drew I agree with most of what your saying.

The ABS does not look cost effective to even consider when you figure all the changes. My guess is piece by piece the cost would exceed two to three times the cost of the unit as an upgrade on a new bike.

I agree the crankcase is still a sore spot for oil leaks and this will be the third design for it.

I have been told that the compression release even on the stock 1130 plays very little part in the scheme of things and that for it to be an issue required a very hot engine and very low battery.

I don't think the regulator will be an issue with moisture since it is a sealed unit and the cooling might even do it good in that location. It looks like the ABS mandated the move to make room in the old battery area.

As far as the clutch goes I will have to wait and see what the entire clutch package cost but my guess is the slipper being two major pieces and a new clutch not to mention springs and hub will probably greatly exceed the cost of an aim unit but who knows for sure.

·
TRANNY KILLER :)
14,572 Posts
Slipper clutches are becoming more and more popular on sport bikes, IMHO they have a growing problem with the rear breaking loose under hard downshifting... I probably hear my rear chirping once a ride, sometimes more than once, so I'd like to test ride a V-Rod that has it, just to see if I like it better or hate it???

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys.

Would there still be a need for an AIM clutch,with the slipper?I know that it was changed to 4 springs.But could it redesigned to?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Vinny said:
Thanks guys.

Would there still be a need for an AIM clutch,with the slipper?I know that it was changed to 4 springs.But could it redesigned to?
No the aim is designed to use a five point system and would never work on the slipper clutch system. We also have no idea how much the slipper clutch components are at this time.

·
found my old avatar
1,200 Posts
I can see the need for a slipper clutch for really aggressive blasting through the twisties when you don't always have time for a proper throttle blip on downshifts, maybe. Tire chirping and subsequent sideways scoot while scraping the pegs in a corner can be a little un-nerving. Maybe I shouldn't be chasing my faster friends. Would it allow just stabbing the shifter on a downshift without the clutch? I find the v-rod doesn't mind this too much with a well-timed blip on the throttle.

I have a question about the aim clutch: it allows for easier clutch action at low rpms and increases the pressure as speed increases. Can I assume that would make for much heavier clutch effort while powershifting at high rpms?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
kerryw said:
I have a question about the aim clutch: it allows for easier clutch action at low rpms and increases the pressure as speed increases. Can I assume that would make for much heavier clutch effort while powershifting at high rpms?
Kerry even though it has more pressure at rpm on the clutch the leverage it offers at low rpm still applies and the clutch is easier to pull at all rpm.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
kerryw said:
Can I assume that would make for much heavier clutch effort while powershifting at high rpms?
I would say yes, the effort is definitely heavier at high rpms than low - but while shifting at speed, it's not like you're going to be holding the clutch in for any length of time - you're just fanning it at most. Not an issue.

FWIW, I'm running the AIM with stock springs and two shims (might be a bit of overkill), so the effort even at low RPMS is not all that much easier. But baby, this clutch can hold any launch I can give it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts