Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone has any thoughts of these aftermarket radiator covers? Not this one specifically but all of this type. Any heating issues? does the design up to specs to keep the bike out of overheating? how is this compare to the original radiator cover?

I would like to install 1 on my 05 Rod but, i was thinking how long it took Willy G to get 1 on there.

Shoe Automotive design Grey Silver Font

·
Registered
228 Posts
See a lot of Vrods running aftermarket shrouds ........... and I don't think Willie G spent a lot of time or money designing the radiator shroud on Vrods, looks like they stole them off a Modet T .......... never like the look ....

·
Registered
560 Posts
See a lot of Vrods running aftermarket shrouds ........... and I don't think Willie G spent a lot of time or money designing the radiator shroud on Vrods, looks like they stole them off a Modet T .......... never like the look ....
Maybe spend some more time researching this subject. Williie G and the boys spent a lot of time on the shrouds. Watch "Birth of the VROD". It is on this site as well as Youtube.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Anyone has any thoughts of these aftermarket radiator covers? Not this one specifically but all of this type. Any heating issues? does the design up to specs to keep the bike out of overheating? how is this compare to the original radiator cover?

I would like to install 1 on my 05 Rod but, i was thinking how long it took Willy G to get 1 on there.

View attachment 611763
Well I think they designed this shroud for a reason. One is to prevent debris from entering radiator. Another reason they may have created some kind of vortex in the shroud. In very hot climates the fans do come on at hiway speeds. I am sure the open radiator concept is well known by Harley. This amount of air may pose a problem to the fans (over speeding them) And they may spin at highway speeds for no reason. Could also be some kind of aerodinamic jargon going on. And in cooler climates it will pass a lot more air and engine may not warm proper, its already has an issue reaching operating temps in cold weather.. A more precise way of controlling engine temps. Considering the average rider, not racing of course. Just saying.

Knight rod rob

·
Registered
871 Posts
View attachment 611807 Not the best pics, but here’s what I did for better airflow. And it works.
I am sure it does. But it looks like to me u have created air flow only from the middle of the radiator, Where as before air was being pulled across the entire radiator. Speaking only when at a stand still. Thats what I was speaking on the vortex affect. If u look at .most automotive applications they have a shroud. And the shroud directs fan air across entire radiator. But if it works it works. :)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Maybe spend some more time researching this subject. Williie G and the boys spent a lot of time on the shrouds. Watch "Birth of the VROD". It is on this site as well as Youtube.
I enjoy the documentary very much. Willie G. sure pushed styling and performance.

The part about the wind tunnel test and the wheel blocking air flow through the center of the radiator at speed looks plausible. We have 2 air scoops sticking out to the sides of the front wheel to grab clean air.

How much is it styling and how much and sales BS vs function? You are only going to know this by testing at different road speeds and I think H-D was the last one that did wind tunnel testing?

There would be no V-Rods with out Willie G. and probably no H-D.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I enjoy the documentary very much. Willie G. sure pushed styling and performance.

The part about the wind tunnel test and the wheel blocking air flow through the center of the radiator at speed looks plausible. We have 2 air scoops sticking out to the sides of the front wheel to grab clean air.

How much is it styling and how much and sales BS vs function? You are only going to know this by testing at different road speeds and I think H-D was the last one that did wind tunnel testing?

There would be no V-Rods with out Willie G. and probably no H-D.
Yep and good point about clean air. Because the front wheel would constantly throw fine road particles into radiator. Yep end of an era.

·
Registered
117 Posts
This is a must watch for every V-Rod owner. A lot of engineering and design went into that radiator cover. It’s not the best looking but it works like it’s supposed to.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts